The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Current Edinburgh Students Chat Thread

Other university sub-forums have one, and so should we. :h:

Chat (or should that be grumble?) away about silly exam timetabling, library refurbishments, the weather, whatever.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
{swoops in from on high}

Why does snow never lie in Edinburgh? :frown:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
I don't know, but it's most disappointing. Has it snowed lately? North-East England looked quite snowy yesterday from the train.
We have our advent lights out! Currently attempting to clear my desk of rubbish so that I can fill it up again. Hmm, Library refurbishment. I'm for it.
Felt that it was now time to turn the heating on. December and all that. I shall be poor now, and still not very warm.

It was almost snowy yesterday, but the snow was more like ice where it laid. No fun.
I have been informed by my friends that its snowed in Edinburgh at least twice in the last fortnight.... liars!
oxymoronic
I have been informed by my friends that its snowed in Edinburgh at least twice in the last fortnight.... liars!

Your friends are optimists. It has snowed if they want to believe it has. But snow doesn't happen in Edinburgh like it does in the West...
artorscience?
Your friends are optimists. It has snowed if they want to believe it has. But snow doesn't happen in Edinburgh like it does in the West...

I think its more they've been wanting to annoy me because I'd been moaning on facebook that we hadn't had any snow in Finland yet, but they probably text me even if there was only 1 snowflake!
It has snowed in Edinburgh in the past week! Not properly but enough so that after a night out on Sunday, at approx 3am in the morning, we were able to have a pathetic snowball fight.
orangepossum
It has snowed in Edinburgh in the past week! Not properly but enough so that after a night out on Sunday, at approx 3am in the morning, we were able to have a pathetic snowball fight.

ha ha I actually got a text from my friends at about 5am my time on sunday!! as it was when we were coming home from a club... so they weren't completley lying then!

I've always missed the snow in Edinburgh. Last year when it snowed just after new year I was on a plane going to Europe. Which was delayed due to said snow, then by the time I got back home was only a very ill looking 'mountain' on the Meadows which was apparently an igloo. Then the year before I can't remember where I was, but I wasn't there then either. And I'm apparently not there this year too.
Reply 10
oxymoronic

It snowed in the early hours of the morning not last Friday but the one before or something. It was rather nice. :^_^:

It's freezing. Grumble grumble. My Russian lecturer forgot to turn up.
Reply 11
Exams :frown:
First one on Monday! Darn Sociology 1A...
and library refurb-for it but its awfully noisy sometimes!
Jillee
First one on Monday! Darn Sociology 1A...

Yay. My first exam is Monday too! Yayay. I get to hang out in the health centre to do it. I always get paranoid that I'm going to the wrong place with some of the locations that they give.

Also the snow-ice yeasterday was horrible. :frown: I had to go out to Hermiston Gait and I was sliding an baby-stepping all over the place. Damn ice in the less than trodden locations.

On the plus side this heating malarkey is actually heating the flat up nicely.
:smile:
Reply 13
my exams are friday (12th) and the monday after. realy dreading them though, and also not to keen on a busy library (i like it when the 4th foor is empty, also, very little refub noise there)

it should have snowed today! bbc said there would be 9 hours of snow and there was none, not even one flake! grrrr
Reply 14
artorscience?
Yay. My first exam is Monday too! Yayay. I get to hang out in the health centre to do it. I always get paranoid that I'm going to the wrong place with some of the locations that they give.

Also the snow-ice yeasterday was horrible. :frown: I had to go out to Hermiston Gait and I was sliding an baby-stepping all over the place. Damn ice in the less than trodden locations.

On the plus side this heating malarkey is actually heating the flat up nicely.
:smile:

What exam do you have on Monday?
Aw I know what you mean about the locations - mines is in the Pleasance sports hall which is apparantly really cold all the time :frown:
Jillee
What exam do you have on Monday?
Aw I know what you mean about the locations - mines is in the Pleasance sports hall which is apparently really cold all the time :frown:

It's Celtic Lit. Pleasance Sports Hall isn't too bad - it's a real location and very much like my school's sports hall where I did exams as a sprog. So it's a reassuring place to have them (or as reassuring as any exam hall can be). I don't remember it being horrifically cold, but it's definitely not warm.
Pleasance sports hall is fine for exams, and you always get the really funny invigilators who take it ridiculously seriously in there... obviously they kind of have to, and then there are the old people who invigilate in the pleasance!

First years - don't get stressed, all you've gotta do is pass and even if you fail you can just resit in the summer... its not worth getting worried about.

Good luck to all of you exams people!! I don't have any this year, my next ones are in fourth year at Christmas.
I remember Pleasance sports hall being really cold last year, I could hardly concentrate on the exam. Got all my three exams there this year so just going to wear a lot of layers. :biggrin:

My exams are all next week so a lot of panic revision ahead. Fun times. I'll be done on Friday though, and I'm not complaning about a month-long holiday at all. :smile:

Any of you guys going to be around in Edinburgh for the New Year?
Reply 18
yeh, im here all year round (from edinburgh) my friends from home, and few uni people and me are all going to the street party to freeze ourselves to death!
So the chat thread died... (not for long)

Happy Burn's nicht a' body!

How did everyone's exams go? (I'm still waiting on results from all of mine, with the excuse of "well the results have to go through Registry", yeah, that clearly takes 2-3 weeks *grumbles*)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending