The Student Room Group

cis and trans, infrared

How do you identify if a compound of known is a cis or a trans by infrared?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
http://www.lipidlibrary.co.uk/topics/transFA/index.htm

Although, personally, I'd say physical and chemical property tests (such as boiling points) is probably easier... If using light, a polarimeter would be easiest. Optical Isomers plane-polarize light in different angles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarimeter
i have to say what the geometric isomers are formed by inspection of IR! [Mo(CO)4(PPh3)2] < is my compound
Sunnydazzleeyes
i have to say what the geometric isomers are formed by inspection of IR! [Mo(CO)4(PPh3)2] < is my compound

Well that's quite important for the question! :p:

If it's trans (PPh3 - M - PPh3) then all the C=O shifts would be the same and thus you would only see one C=O peak. If its cis (PPh3 - M - CO) then you should have two C=O peaks :smile:
EierVonSatan

If it's trans (PPh3 - M - PPh3) then all the C=O shifts would be the same and thus you would only see one C=O peak. If its cis (PPh3 - M - CO) then you should have two C=O peaks :smile:

thanks for that information
What is your theory behind this and why is this so?
I need to be convinced
Sunnydazzleeyes
thanks for that information
What is your theory behind this and why is this so?
I need to be convinced

Well carbonyls in different environments exhibit different stretching frequencies such as in lactams, ketones, aldehydes etc.

The trans has D4h symmetry and so the C=O's are all identical, this is not so in the cis - you have two different types: 2x (PPh3 - Mo - CO) and (CO - Mo - CO)
Reply 6
Original post by EierVonSatan

For trans, could you not see two peaks? One for a symmetric and one for an asymmetric stretch?
Original post by chembob
For trans, could you not see two peaks? One for a symmetric and one for an asymmetric stretch?

Four year old thread :nothing:

Whilst there will be asymmetric and symmetric stretching for the linear OC-M-CO arrangements, only the asymmetric stretch will be detected since the symmetric stretch leaves the dipole moment unchanged.

Edit: Though actually looking it up, the cis should have four peaks apparently possibly due to two types of stretching being detected for each type of CO there(?) I haven't done any of this in years :laugh:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
You'd be better off looking at the position of the CO stretch-which would be lower for which ever is the strongest electron donor ligand being put trans to it.
Reply 9
Four year old thread :nothing:

Whilst there will be asymmetric and symmetric stretching for the linear OC-M-CO arrangements, only the asymmetric stretch will be detected since the symmetric stretch leaves the dipole moment unchanged.

Edit: Though actually looking it up, the cis should have four peaks apparently possibly due to two types of stretching being detected for each type of CO there(?) I haven't done any of this in years :laugh:

You can, and really ought to, solve this more rigorously by using group theory. That will tell you exactly how many bands you should expect to be active for IR for each combination.
This works particularly well for carbonyl groups.
You can't always tell simply by looking at the molecule.
Original post by calixarene
You can, and really ought to, solve this more rigorously by using group theory. That will tell you exactly how many bands you should expect to be active for IR for each combination.
This works particularly well for carbonyl groups.
You can't always tell simply by looking at the molecule.

Thanks for that.
Thanks for that.

Also, as said above, the wavenumber of the streches will be important. There's a thing called the trans effect which is the effect a ligand has on the bonding between the metal and the ligand trans to it, due to the fact that ligands trans to each other interact with the same metal d orbitals. As CO is a better pi acceptor than phosphines, when a CO is trans to a phosphine, it will have higher degree of back bonding, and hence a weaker M-C bond and so stronger CO bond) than when a CO is trans to a CO.

Explained pretty badly but you might remember it :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by illusionz
Also, as said above, the wavenumber of the streches will be important. There's a thing called the trans effect which is the effect a ligand has on the bonding between the metal and the ligand trans to it, due to the fact that ligands trans to each other interact with the same metal d orbitals. As CO is a better pi acceptor than phosphines, when a CO is trans to a phosphine, it will have higher degree of back bonding, and hence a weaker CO bond (but stronger M-C bond) than when a CO is trans to a CO.

Explained pretty badly but you might remember it :P

The actual wavenumber is not a reliable indicator at all. The only reason IR is useful in this case is because CO peaks are so characteristic that IR is ideal. It's the number of peaks which helps you out here and distinguishes the two isomers. You can even calibrate it and get the ratio of each isomer present in a mixed sample.

By the way, you've described trans influence not trans effect.
Trans influence is the weakening of the bond trans to the ligand in question. It's a thermodynamic effect and affects the stability of the complex. You've described it the wrong way round as well. A CO trans to a CO will have a weaker M-C bond than a CO trans to a phosphine precisely because CO has a stronger trans influence than a phosphine.

Trans effect on the other hand is a kinetic effect and affects the rate of substitution trans to the ligand in question. The two aren't the same. Mind you a ligand with a strong trans influence will usually also have a strong trans effect. Not always though. There are some striking exceptions.

Hope that clarifies things.
(edited 11 years ago)
The actual wavenumber is not a reliable indicator at all. The only reason IR is useful in this case is because CO peaks are so characteristic that IR is ideal. It's the number of peaks which helps you out here and distinguishes the two isomers. You can even calibrate it and get the ratio of each isomer present in a mixed sample.

Well we've covered a lot of content where the wavenumbers of the peaks can be diagnostic. Of course, not as diagnostic as the number, but still something you'd talk about if asked to compare the two spectra. You would get different wavenumbers for the ones trans to a CO and the ones trans to a PPh3.

By the way, you've described trans influence not trans effect.
Trans influence is the weakening of the bond trans to the ligand in question. It's a thermodynamic effect and affects the stability of the complex. You've described it the wrong way round as well. A CO trans to a CO will have a weaker M-C bond than a CO trans to a phosphine precisely because CO has a stronger trans influence than a phosphine.

Trans effect can be used to describe both of them. You can talk about the kinetic and thermodynamic parts. It is also common to use trans influence but trans effect is not wrong.

You've described it the wrong way round as well. A CO trans to a CO will have a weaker M-C bond than a CO trans to a phosphine precisely because CO has a stronger trans influence than a phosphine.

That is what I meant to say, just wrong the wrong thing, damnit. It's a friday afternoon and I've spend the day inhaling chloroform in the lab :tongue: Of course, one orbital donating into two forms a weaker bond than donating into one - a case of typing the wrong thing :biggrin:

Trans effect on the other hand is a kinetic effect and affects the rate of substitution trans to the ligand in question. The two aren't the same. Mind you a ligand with a strong trans influence will usually also have a strong trans effect. Not always though. There are some striking exceptions.

I know that the two parts are effected by different things - though this is usually studied when looking at ligand substitution and the effects on either the ground state and how it is destabilised, or the stabilisation of the transition state.

I appreciate the comments and thanks for pointing out my mistake, but I do (I like to think), know what I'm talking about :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Well we've covered a lot of content where the wavenumbers of the peaks can be diagnostic. Of course, not as diagnostic as the number, but still something you'd talk about if asked to compare the two spectra. You would get different wavenumbers for the ones trans to a CO and the ones trans to a PPh3.

Trans effect can be used to describe both of them. You can talk about the kinetic and thermodynamic parts. It is also common to use trans influence but trans effect is not wrong.

That is what I meant to say, just wrong the wrong thing, damnit. It's a friday afternoon and I've spend the day inhaling chloroform in the lab :tongue: Of course, one orbital donating into two forms a weaker bond than donating into one - a case of typing the wrong thing :biggrin:

I know that the two parts are effected by different things - though this is usually studied when looking at ligand substitution and the effects on either the ground state and how it is destabilised, or the stabilisation of the transition state.

I appreciate the comments and thanks for pointing out my mistake, but I do (I like to think), know what I'm talking about :P

Perhaps I misunderstood you. I understood you were claiming trans effect and trans influence to be essentially the same thing. If that's truly what you think then I'm afraid this is quite simply wrong. I may however have misunderstood. It is late at night.
Perhaps I misunderstood you. I understood you were claiming trans effect and trans influence to be essentially the same thing. If that's truly what you think then I'm afraid this is quite simply wrong. I may however have misunderstood. It is late at night.

You can have this debate with my lecturer. I'm reading it straight out of the notes. I'm saying that the term trans effect can be used to cover what you are calling the trans influence as well as your trans effect.

My lecture notes

The trans effect consists of two phenomena:
Ground state contribution (also known as trans influence): the weakening of a trans - positioned ligand in its ground state (thermodynamic control)
Transition state contribution (also known as trans effect): the stabilisation of the transition state by a trans -
ligand (kinetic control)
(edited 11 years ago)
You can have this debate with my lecturer. I'm reading it straight out of the notes. I'm saying that the term trans effect can be used to cover what you are calling the trans influence as well as your trans effect.

You are either misunderstanding the notes or he's made an error bud.
You should talk to him. I've worked in this area professionally as a research scientist. Lecturers make mistakes and students misread notes. I worked in research last year which required me to know the difference.
If trans effect and trans influence are the same you might want to question why they each have a different series associated with them.
You'll find the different series in primary literature.
(edited 11 years ago)
You are either misunderstanding the notes or he's made an error bud.
You should talk to him. I've worked in this area professionally as a research scientist. Lecturers make mistakes and students misread notes. I worked in research last year which required me to know the difference.
If trans effect and trans influence are the same you might want to question why they each have a different series associated with them.
You'll find the different series in primary literature.

You will find many examples in science where more than one term is used to describe the same thing. This is one of those cases. I am perfectly capable of understanding some pretty simple english in my lecture notes. The trans effect is simply the effect a ligand has on the one trans to it, there are kinetic and thermodynamic components of this effect, but they come under the same umbrella and it is perfectly correct to use an umbrella term. Sometimes the kinetic and thermodynamic components are given more specific names, but not always.

For what it's worth, wikipedia agrees with me.
(edited 11 years ago)
You will find many examples in science where more than one term is used to describe the same thing. This is one of those cases. I am perfectly capable of understanding some pretty simple english in my lecture notes. The trans effect is simply the effect a ligand has on the one trans to it, there are kinetic and thermodynamic components of this effect, but they come under the same umbrella and it is perfectly correct to use an umbrella term. Sometimes the kinetic and thermodynamic components are given more specific names, but not always.

For what it's worth, wikipedia agrees with me.

If you are using Wikipedia as a source of information at the age of 22 (??)then you seriously have a lot to learn.

This is a common interview question BTW. Good luck trying to insist those two terms are interchangeable.
It would be a real shame if someone on here genuinely needing help read your post and went down the wrong path because of it but that's life.
If you are using Wikipedia as a source of information at the age of 22 (??)then you seriously have a lot to learn.

This is a common interview question BTW. Good luck trying to insist those two terms are interchangeable.
It would be a real shame if someone on here genuinely needing help read your post and went down the wrong path because of it but that's life.

Calm it, this is getting offensive.

Quite why the trans effect is relevant to this thread is questionable, the simple answer is group theory.

Also which idiot opened a 4 year old thread?

You may have covered this topic in a lot of detail in your postgraduate work (I assume) but that doesn't mean that people outside of the niche area make the distinction. When this was covered in my lectures no distinction was made, and I would be happy to assume that the lecturer was a leader in the field, we have those sort of lecturers.

Also, what sort of interview uses that as a question? Maybe the interview for your research group? That is of course highly relevant to the many people applying for postgraduate work in this field!

Quick Reply

Latest