The Student Room Group

Why is abortion such a big issue in the U.S.?

Why is it that whenevr a senator wants to become president, or someone wants to get elected to congress, the issue of abortion nearly ALWAYS comes up? Why can't they just say "I'd make abortion legal, and the pro-choice people can get one if they want, while the pro-life people can just never go near the clinic?" I mean, it's not like by saying that you'd make abortion legal, you're gonna FORCE pro-life women to have abortions, but by making it ILLEGAL, you only please the pro-life people, and anger the pro-choice people.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cause they have to appease the religious fundementalists which are more abundant in the USA :rolleyes:
Fundies
Bobo1234
Why is it that whenevr a senator wants to become president, or someone wants to get elected to congress, the issue of abortion nearly ALWAYS comes up? Why can't they just say "I'd make abortion legal, and the pro-choice people can get one if they want, while the pro-life people can just never go near the clinic?" I mean, it's not like by saying that you'd make abortion legal, you're gonna FORCE pro-life women to have abortions, but by making it ILLEGAL, you only please the pro-life people, and anger the pro-choice people.

That would still not satisfy pro-life voters. They take issue with anyone getting an abortion - not just themselves.
Reply 4
America is mostly a middle-right conservative nation. Although they are secular, the vast majority of them consider themselves to be Christian and religion there is quite important to the country, especially upon its creation two centuries ago. There is more negativity towards religion in Europe than in America, here we are seen as the most liberal in the Western world and to be honest that doesn't get too many plaudits there 'over the pond'.
Reply 5
Because America's just that stupid.
Reply 6
Officer Dibble
That would still not satisfy pro-life voters. They take issue with anyone getting an abortion - not just themselves.

And rightly so. It isn't about them or the 'mother' here, it's about the innocent child who has no say.
Reply 7
Meus
And rightly so. It isn't about them or the 'mother' here, it's about the innocent child who has no say.

Here we go :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Vote Proposition 8!
Reply 9
Democracy
Here we go :rolleyes:

Well, it was a stupid comment anyway, trying to decorate it as it wasn't anyone's business what the mother does. When a parent has the intent to harm or kill their child, I'm sorry, but that's then everyone's business. This abortion nonsense is just masqueraded as a "freedom of choice" given exclusively to the mother for sentimental reasons (she's the mother), despite the irony that there is nothing motherly or maternal about wanting to get rid of your baby.
Reply 10
Meus
Well, it was a stupid comment anyway, trying to decorate it as it wasn't anyone's business what the mother does. When a parent has the intent to harm or kill their child, I'm sorry, but that's then everyone's business. This abortion nonsense is just masqueraded as a "freedom of choice" given exclusively to the mother for sentimental reasons (she's the mother), despite the irony that there is nothing motherly or maternal about wanting to get rid of your baby.

This thread isn't for this debate, taking your ramblings somewhere else.
Meus

Yer "child" is sort of a bone of contention. Medically speaking, it's an embryo or a foetus, m'kay?

But this isn't an aborition debate, so don't start.
Reply 12
Look, I'm sorry, but who the **** is anyone to go to someone and say "hey, my god believes you having an abortion is wrong, so I'm telling you- don't go and have an abortion"???
Reply 13
Democracy
Yer "child" is sort of a bone of contention. Medically speaking, it's an embryo or a foetus, m'kay?

Medically speaking, that definition is temporary as they call it something else after a period of time; "a child", so what value does its 'embryo' definition at its early stage have in any relevance to the actual embryo itself knowing that it is growing to become a human child? Are you trying to dismiss the importance of that? I'm sure when a woman has a pregnancy test early on, she thinks "Oh God, I have an embryo in me - that little thing, my life is over" as opposed to the silly notion, I suppose, that shes actually pregnant. It's funny how there are some who would accept abortion at 3-4 weeks but not a week later. But you are right, lets not get into that again.
Reply 14
Democracy

It's still a being. And I'm pretty sure that a foetus has sensory feelings.
Reply 15
All I'm sayong is that the pro-lifers should do whatever the hell they want with THEIR OWN foetuses and embryos, but that they should let the pro-choicers let them do whatever the hell they want with THEIR OWN foetuses and embryos. Agree? I tcertainly shouldn't be a case of putting every damn politician on the spot and saying "abortion- illegal or legal, what should it be?"
Reply 16
Lolicon

You a medic? if you aren't shut the hell up.
Lolicon

It's sort of difficult to feel pain if you don't have the necessary nervous system and associated neural pathways :rolleyes:

http://discovermagazine.com/2005/dec/fetus-feel-pain
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4905892.stm
Reply 18
Meus

Nobody disagrees with this red bit, but it's stupid saying it's stupid saying its maternal anyway- no mother claims it is maternal to have an abortion- in fact by getting one (especially if they are not ready for a baby, or lack the skills to be a parent), then surely she is a) showing the exact opposite, and b) that she's actually being quite inteeligent in her course of action?
Reply 19
Bobo1234
Look, I'm sorry, but who the **** is anyone to go to someone and say "hey, my god believes you having an abortion is wrong, so I'm telling you- don't go and have an abortion"???

It's not really just about abortion. Each candidate can have the personal opinion on abortion, for example, let say I was running for President and I believed abortion was murder, to me I don't see it as lack of choice but if we're talking about choice here, how convenient we dismiss the choice of the child to live or not. I would initiate a process which could see it becoming banned in the states that vote on it. If you live in a conservative state, you will therefore soon be living in a abortion free zone. That would be one of my promises as President, and people will look at that and my other promises and decide if they would vote for me. If the majority decided it was time to vote on Abortion, they would vote for me.

So each state would create their own policies through the legislative process whether or not they want abortion in their state. Some states will obviously keep it, like in California for example which is very liberal, and some states will not. If you live in such a state, then rest knowing it wasn't my choice, but the people's choice in the country to vote for me, and the people in your state to vote to ban Abortion.

Latest

Trending

Trending