The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Wall St Crash
Reply 4
-overproduction
-laissez faire
-wall street crash
Reply 5
thank you for your help so far, funny enough i had read those two webpages, just after i started this thread =]

anywho, how can i structure this essay;

i was thinking that i could do it from an economicial POV, then a Political POV...what other aspects could I include. and what aspects of the economicial and political pov could i write about
I_AM_JEBUS
thank you for your help so far, funny enough i had read those two webpages, just after i started this thread =]

anywho, how can i structure this essay;

i was thinking that i could do it from an economicial POV, then a Political POV...what other aspects could I include. and what aspects of the economicial and political pov could i write about

What do you mean Political POV? Do you mean like the Republicans/Harding/Coolidge strong pro-business and self-regulation policies in the 20's that led to the stock bubble?
Reply 7
Protectism, coupled with the fact most of Europe was in debt too America after WW1.
Reply 8
Jo You Know
What do you mean Political POV? Do you mean like the Republicans/Harding/Coolidge strong pro-business and self-regulation policies in the 20's that led to the stock bubble?

If by that you mean the political causes of the great depression.

I was thinking of comparing factors like political, economical and social...on a national scale and a global or regional scale too.

Do you think that is the best way to structure this essay?
Reply 9
Greed. People thinking that you can magically make money from the stock market.
Reply 10
don't focus too much on the Wall Street Crash because it wasn't the cause of the Depression, it was just the stock market self correcting share prices. you should focus more on the republican government not intervening, overproduction and tariffs that were set up under legislation like the smoot-hawley tariff act etc..
Reply 11
MetalHed
don't focus too much on the Wall Street Crash because it wasn't the cause of the Depression, it was just the stock market self correcting share prices. you should focus more on the republican government not intervening, overproduction and tariffs that were set up under legislation like the smoot-hawley tariff act etc..

cheers thats useful, thanks.
Reply 12
does everyone agree that the 'causes of the great depression' extended from the United states, but what about the global causes of the global depression??
I_AM_JEBUS
If by that you mean the political causes of the great depression.

I was thinking of comparing factors like political, economical and social...on a national scale and a global or regional scale too.

Do you think that is the best way to structure this essay?

I don't know, It's not my essay.:s-smilie:

I think you could start from the politics of the 20's and move on how that shaped the resulting economy of the 20's which led to the Great Depression.

(Hmm. I don't know if your paper is supposed to be US centered. I was just cramming for a test on the subject, but it was for US history.)
Reply 14
america lending too much money to say....Germany? Dawes Plan anyone?
Reply 15
Jo You Know
I don't know, It's not my essay.:s-smilie:

I think you could start from the politics of the 20's and move on how that shaped the resulting economy of the 20's which led to the Great Depression.

(Hmm. I don't know if your paper is supposed to be US centered. I was just cramming for a test on the subject, but it was for US history.)

i dont think it is supposed to be centred on the US, as my module is called 'europe of extremes' although as it is a major player in the causes of the great depression, inclusion of the US rather than centred on the US, can only increase the amount of marks i get, for extended knowledge etc. i think :woo:
Reply 16
I_AM_JEBUS
cheers thats useful, thanks.

no worries, I'm studying that part of american history at the moment..my history teacher is like an expert in american economics/politics and he told us one of the biggest mistakes people make is that they think the wall street crash is one of the most influential reasons when really it wasn't because the depression had many more underlying causes like the fact that the economy had been slowing down and stuff..good luck with your essay.
Try this link - it may (or may not) be useful:

http://www.economicsmentor.blogspot.com/
clozet
america lending too much money to say....Germany? Dawes Plan anyone?

I don't think that so much as the cause for the American Depression but as why the whole world suffered rather than just Americans. US banks benefited from that plan. And from the debt owed by Britain and France. I think we capitalized off a war-torn continent just fine.:yep:

I_AM_JEBUS
i dont think it is supposed to be centred on the US, as my module is called 'europe of extremes' although as it is a major player in the causes of the great depression, inclusion of the US rather than centred on the US, can only increase the amount of marks i get, for extended knowledge etc. i think :woo:

Well, I guess the depression itself was a little US centered. It emerged as the economic leader after WWI. And as above, Europe's economy was dependent on the US's. As we fell, they fell. You could really include the end of WWI and the Dawes Plan as part of the political POV, I guess.
Reply 19
cheers.

Latest

Trending

Trending