The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester University Interview

Scroll to see replies

sausagewallet
I also have an interview at Manchester in February in the theology department and i haven't got a clue what they'll ask me, what i should wear etc etc. So stressful.

2 years ago (I've deferred for 2 years so start in September) I had my interview for the same dept. I stressed myself out rediculously for the interview as I was desperate to get into Manchester.

And then the day arrived, and I'd been up the night before in my hotel room reading over and over model interview questions, past books I'd read relating to the course, and it was all a bit of an anti climax really.

You go have a look round the dept, get a chance to ask a lecturer in a group about the course (though they won't necissarily be lecturing you, but they will be from the dept- as they run lots of diff course interviews at the same time for 1 dept). This was really useful.

Then you go sit in a room and talk to a couple of "real life" students on the course, and whilst you're talking to them, lecturers come in and out and grab you and you have your interview.

I called up in advance to find out who would be interviewing me, got the name and googled the person so I could see if there would be any intel from that- realised they were from the dept but wouldn't even be lecturing me!

Anyways we talked over why I wanted to be on the course, my past experience of the discipline. I'd never studied religion before so I talked about how I'd demonstarted a keen interest through other subjects and course work etc. Then we talked about my grades- I was open about how much I was struggling in Philosophy (one of my a-levels) and this man had a PHD in it, but he actually appriciated this honestly. We talked about the city (?!) and why it was so nice. It was really relaxed and informal.

I'd honestly NOT PANIC. It's so informal, and actually...*gasp* quite enjoyable!

Good luck! And don't do what I saw one poor person do- wear a suit and feel really overdressed. Just wear a nice jumper/shirt and plain trousers.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 21
JumpingJonny
Today I recieved an interview from Manchester for the Biomedical Sciences course, this may seem trivial but what do wear? Is it smart or casual or Smart/Casual.

Is it better to go over dressed than under?

Many thanks

Jonny

i got an interviw from manchester for biomed but mines in march!

just thought id mention it lol :biggrin:
Mr Fish

Nice, you know this is mine from last year right? Anyway is Manchester your top choice, and I discovered smart casual will do :cute:
Reply 23
sorry to hear that man, got me a bit worried man, but where did u muck up on, i.e what questions did they ask you?
Hey, I've got an interview for Life Sciences too! I was a bit worried because mine seemed a bit later than everyone else's :'). Anyways, I was just wondering, are you actually guaranteed a place if you have an interview, or is it just a likely chance that you will have a place there? Thanks! :smile:.
94_confessions
Hey, I've got an interview for Life Sciences too! I was a bit worried because mine seemed a bit later than everyone else's :'). Anyways, I was just wondering, are you actually guaranteed a place if you have an interview, or is it just a likely chance that you will have a place there? Thanks! :smile:.

It is never guaranteed but I think the interview/offer rate is around the 95% mark, they even said in one of the talks that day that very few people get rejected after interview. Well done :yep:
Yayy! They kind of hinted at that in the email I got from them, but I didn't realise it was as high as 95%. Thankyou :smile:.
I have just received the following e-mail:

"I’m writing to you as we’ve not received a reply to the letter sent to you on 20th November 2009 inviting you for interview at the University of Manchester on Thursday 3 December 2009 for the degree course BSc(Hons) Physics with Astrophysics.

The interview is an extremely important part of the application and decision-making process in the School of Physics and Astronomy and I would like to know what your intentions are regarding your application to Manchester .

Please let *a name* know by tomorrow latest, if you intend to come for interview on Thursday 3rd December (and if so, are either or both of your parents coming with you?)."

The problem is that I haven't received the 20th november letter (probably because I'm from Romania), so the chances are that I cannot fly to Manchester (also it's pretty expensive).
What can I do ? Are they giving any phone interview ? :frown:
Forever_Man
I have just received the following e-mail:

"I’m writing to you as we’ve not received a reply to the letter sent to you on 20th November 2009 inviting you for interview at the University of Manchester on Thursday 3 December 2009 for the degree course BSc(Hons) Physics with Astrophysics.

The interview is an extremely important part of the application and decision-making process in the School of Physics and Astronomy and I would like to know what your intentions are regarding your application to Manchester .

Please let *a name* know by tomorrow latest, if you intend to come for interview on Thursday 3rd December (and if so, are either or both of your parents coming with you?)."

The problem is that I haven't received the 20th november letter (probably because I'm from Romania), so the chances are that I cannot fly to Manchester (also it's pretty expensive).
What can I do ? Are they giving any phone interview ? :frown:

I would make this its own thread as you will get more help that way and I would expect them to be able to do a phone interview.
Reply 29
Forever_Man
Are they giving any phone interview ? :frown:

Yes they are! :smile:
If you email back to explain your situation they should be able to sort something :biggrin:
Problem solved. They agreed that I may come on 11 december. :biggrin: Hope I will enjoy the experience. Does anyone know how the physics (with astrophysics in my case) interview is like ?
Reply 31
Mr Fish

I've got an interview for physiology/pharmacology at Manchester in February. Considering I'm female, would wearing a black jacket and matching trousers be too much?
Reply 32
Hey, I just got an interview for Physics, and IF i do not participate it? Since I live 1300 miles away from Manchester and there is no direct flights to where... Thats why I can hardly afford interview just for "chatting". So is it bad to say no? What does it mean, no offer?
I mean is it necessary to participate interview?
Reply 33
Forever_Man
Problem solved. They agreed that I may come on 11 december. :biggrin: Hope I will enjoy the experience. Does anyone know how the physics (with astrophysics in my case) interview is like ?

how did ur interview go? what kind of questions did they ask u? do u have an offer?

i've a physics interview on the 4th february
Reply 34
I've got one tomorrow for anatomical science.im ******** it!
mbizzle21
I've got one tomorrow for anatomical science.im ******** it!

How did it go? :smile:.
Reply 36
I had interview for Accounting and Finance last Thursday morning.
Interview Thursday - conditional offer Friday weyyyy.

Anyone got an interview coming up, all I can say is don't worry.
Be a bit chatty make sure you do the homework on your course, know a few modules and what not.
And be a little chatty... worked for me anyway :biggrin:
Reply 37
what type of interview did you have? :smile: I am so nervous because my interview is coming so I really want to prepare for it.
Got an interview invite for march from manchester for pharmacy.

Anyone else have this, and what was it like ?
I've got an interview for cell biology there. When are your interviews? Mine's the 17th November. Am I really guaranteed a place if I've got an interview? I've already met their grade offer too having 3 A levels already...maybe I can get an unconditional.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending