The Student Room Group

Maths interview at Oxford - have you got an invitation????

Hi i just want to know who has a invitation for an interview for maths at oxford - i don't want to know about other subjects

also mention:
1) how you thought you did on the test - (entrance exam)
2) you impression of difficulty
3) your grades so far ie GCSE and AS/A2 grades

please be constructive and do not go in to my friends, friends friends got one and stuff like that and please do not go in to other topics
Reply 1
My friend applied to Christ church for maths and hasnt heard anything yet.
She said that she found the entrance exam really hard tho so isnt expecting an interview.
Reply 2
got an interview at new college, but others at my school havent yet
i thought i got 70-80 on the test and thought it was similar difficulty to last years
all As
university college, got it today (wohoo) I thought I got about half on the test tbh but I haven't done any of the past papers so I don't have a mark to compare with.

last year i got A alevel maths A physics AS A fine art AS and B chem AS
Interview at Magdalen.
1) Not good, not bad. I estimated about 60-70 but you can never really tell. I definitely don't think I got more than 70.
2) Fairly comparable to last year's exam.
3) 5A* 5A B , AAAB
Reply 5
I got an interview at St Peter's yesterday.

the entrance test is ok,not that hard.

My AS results are 4 As in Maths, F Maths, Physics and Economics.
Reply 6
Got an interview at wadham. Thought the test was more difficult than the previous ones. I got an A level in maths (A) and two A grade AS levels in Physics & Music
Reply 7
1) I thought I did rather badly but evidently not too badly, since I've got an interview.
2) Harder than previous papers but not as difficult as I found it on the day.
3) 10*/1A/1B; A in maths A2, A in AS physics and chemistry.
1. I thought I'd done alright on the test? I have an interview at Keble.

2. Thought the entrance exam was a lot easier than the practice ones I'd done.

3) I got 3 As at A level (maths, further maths, physics) and at GCSE I got 8 A*s 1 A and 2Bs :smile:
Reply 9
Got an interview at Hertford.
1) Ok, maybe 60-70% not blowing them away by any stretch.
2) I found the multiple choice harder than past papers but the questions easier.
3) Grade A maths A level, and AAC AS's in Physics, Music and Philosophy respectively. Doing F Maths, Music, Physics and G Studies A2's this year on top of my maths last.

Regretably did no work for GCSE's and only have 4 A*'s, 5A's and 2 B's. Also have grade 8 trombone. Hoping my GCSE's won't come back to haunt me and not sure what to do as interview prep really.
I've got an interview at St Johns, does everyone else have to stay for the full 4 days too?

1) I'm thinking about 60% ish on the test
2) Long questions werent too bad, struggled with about half of the multiple choice
3) I've AS level Maths, Chemistry and Geology at and A with Physics at a B grade. Doing further maths at AS level this year and Maths, Physics and Geology at A2.

GCSE's 5 A*, 4 A, 2 B I think
Reply 11
James Malloch
I've got an interview at St Johns, does everyone else have to stay for the full 4 days too?

Everybody will be there from Sunday to Wednesday. How late on Wednesday will depend on your college and whether you're a borderline candidate or not.
Reply 12
I've got an interview at Hertford. Estimate I scored 70 ish based on the answers people got on here, the longer questions were alright except the last one which I understood in my head but couldn't seem to explain concisely. Also messed up a few of the multiple choice which I knew how to do in the pressure! Thought it was harder than some of the past papers tbh.
I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and RS - all As at AS (except Further Maths and did the A-level in Maths last year and A-level in Further Maths this year) predicted 5 A*s
Got 10 A*s at GCSE.
I feel less confident the closer it gets, like I should be doing more, but meh, what more can I do? lol Have read through and re-typed with my own notes "The Backbone of Pascal's Triangle" and worked through in detail about 2/3 of What is Mathematics (I'm leaving Topology, Projective Geometry and Maxima and Minima to the end.) I planned to have it all done, but then my Further Maths tutor was sick for like 2 months so I had to teach myself FP1, which was time consuming to say the least
=(
Reply 13
jbeacom600
I feel less confident the closer it gets, like I should be doing more, but meh, what more can I do?

There's some good ideas (well, one at least) in this thread.
Reply 14
I've got an interview at Keble college coming up...

Not a clue how I did on the test, I found it harder than previous years but still manageable...

Got 8A*'s 3A's and a B at GCSE and predicted 4 A*'s at A Level so we'll see :|

Crapping myself about the interview now :/
James Malloch

1) I'm thinking about 60% ish on the test
2) Long questions werent too bad, struggled with about half of the multiple choice
3) I've AS level Maths, Chemistry and Geology at and A with Physics at a B grade. Doing further maths at AS level this year and Maths, Physics and Geology at A2.

GCSE's 5 A*, 4 A, 2 B I think

See you there :smile: I'm a Maths & CompSci applicant.
Reply 16
Got an interview at Magdalen.

Hmmmm, the entrance exam. i felt i did considerably better in past papers rather than the actual one. i thought it was a hard test, although it could have just been the pressure of everything. i really don't know how i did in it! anywhere between 60% and 80%.

i thought the multiple choice questions where pretty easy, nothing unexpected, but i found the, longer questions more difficult. i found i was able to answer some parts, but not all, of each one.

GCSEs: 8A*s: (in all the important things) 3As: (art, drama n german ¬_¬ )
AS-levels: Grade A for Maths, Physics, Biology and RS
A levels: Predicted 2A*s and 3As in the above and F.Maths :smile:

It'll be interesting to see how everyone gets on! Good luck guys, smash those interviews :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest