The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

University College (Univ) (Oxford) Students and Applicants

There wasn't a topic about Univ yet, but I'm interested in seeing what people have to say about Univ that go there! I really know nothing about the college, so any information on what it's like would be greatttt :smile:

Especially anything about physics?

Scroll to see replies

University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Woopdeedoo, it's relatively large, has internationals, and has the week of Maths lessons for free for all whom need it. I mean what makes it different from the other colleges.

There wasn't a topic about Univ before so info on the college from TSR has been limited.
Reply 3
deltafiore
Woopdeedoo, it's relatively large, has internationals, and has the week of Maths lessons for free for all whom need it. I mean what makes it different from the other colleges.

There wasn't a topic about Univ before so info on the college from TSR has been limited.

Woopdeedoo, posting a thread asking for people to 'tell you about Univ' is not going to get particularly helpful responses, although I think that linking you to their website was in fact quite helpful - you did say you knew nothing about the place. Research general questions yourself and then ask specific ones.

I'll give you a few possible examples of specific questions:

Does Univ offer three years of accommodation?
What are the Univ tutors like?
Do you like it at Univ?
How is the food?
Does Univ have a good reputation.
Well it's the original college, despite what Mertonians or others might tell you. And the original has to be the best; like all films ever.

- It's a relatively friendly place, although first-year rooms spread all around college so there's less chance to build a community such as I've found in Magdalen etc.
- It's mediumish, so you quickly start to recognise people, without it feeling claustrophobic.
- The library is open 24 hours, which is crucial for essay crises.
- It's central; right next to the exam halls, near the Bod, 10 minutes walk from Sainsburys. Couldn't be better in that respect.
Reply 5
People will keep asking the same old questions! I already covered this in some detail:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=14748302#post14748302

DtS
Reply 7
Teebs
Woopdeedoo, posting a thread asking for people to 'tell you about Univ' is not going to get particularly helpful responses, although I think that linking you to their website was in fact quite helpful - you did say you knew nothing about the place. Research general questions yourself and then ask specific ones.

I'll give you a few possible examples of specific questions:

Does Univ offer three years of accommodation?
What are the Univ tutors like?
Do you like it at Univ?
How is the food?
Does Univ have a good reputation.

Perhaps you should read other topics before acting like an ass. Maybe the "ask a moderator" section is private to everyone except the topic creator, but I made a topic and some mod told me to make the Univ topic so that he could move it to the colleges section.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=743139
This topic isn't so that people can tell ME about Univ, it's the same thing as the rest of the college topics for Oxford.

And let me phrase it more clearly so that no one will get confused:
"I don't know anything other than what has been stated on the website."
I obviously have researched info about the college on the website but being an international limits my availability to any information other than that listed on the website, that's why I came to TSR in hopes that others would expound on the topics of choice.

But thanks for pointing out what a specific question is, I really didn't know what the difference between general and specific questions were. Thank god you came to the rescue.

Could someone explain the formal halls thing? Does this mean we have to dress up in a button-up and a tie and nice black pants for our meals 6 days a week? If so, uh... lol. Great surprise?

What is rooming like? Two people a room, suites? Do internationals get rooms with other internationals?

How is the drinking/drug scene?

Any Univs here doing physics? How does it compare to the rest of the University's physics programs?
yay!
I've beeen waiting for Univ college forum!
Reply 9
This is kind of relating to the interviews next week, but it's specifically related to Univ, so I'm asking it here...

I've got an interview on Tuesday at Univ, and I'm going down on Monday night. But there's an event that I want to go to in Oxford on Monday night that finishes at 11pm, so basically I just want to know what time I'd be allowed to stay out until on Monday night?

Cheers.
You should be fine for going out, although staying sober would be recomended. There's a keycode for the external door that comes in after about 10pm, so just find it out from a student helper before you go out, or get the lodge phone number in your phone as a back-up.
Reply 11
playingcards
You should be fine for going out, although staying sober would be recomended. There's a keycode for the external door that comes in after about 10pm, so just find it out from a student helper before you go out, or get the lodge phone number in your phone as a back-up.

Cheers.
Hey guys..hows the graduate accommodation at University college?
Reply 13
So - who's applying to Univ for 2010 entry...?

(I think this thread needs reviving!)
Reply 14
I'm thinking of applying to Univ for PPE- how political is its atmosphere?
Reply 15
marlowe92
I'm thinking of applying to Univ for PPE- how political is its atmosphere?

Same...I'm not sure how political the atmosphere is though.

They have quite a popular PPE society - the Beverage society...
Reply 16
Graphix
Same...I'm not sure how political the atmosphere is though.

I'm applying for PPE here too.
Reply 17
Chruchill
I'm applying for PPE here too.

We're becoming quite a group, aren't we?
Reply 18
Graphix
We're becoming quite a group, aren't we?

Hopefully not too big though. :smile:
Reply 19
Chruchill
Hopefully not too big though. :smile:

:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest