The Student Room Group

Delivering catalogues, Kleeneze etc

Does anyone here work for a company delivering catalogues? I need a job desperatly with no luck so am considering doing this. Any info about it? good, bad? can you leave at any time or are you bound to a contract?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
don't do it. i've tried this before and there is no guarantee that you will make money. It's basically 100% commission based work, you will not enjoy it, and it will take up a lot of your time. The only real way you can make money off it is if you build up a group of people/team and earn money off their sales. I can only comment for Kleeneze because that is who I tried this with. They will charge a startup fee of over £100 to cover the catalogues, plastic wallets, name badge, etc. And catalogues which are supposed to be retured to you with the order form, will get lost. then you'll have to buy some more! You are basically running your own business, but only with the products that they sell. And btw if someone orders something, you are expected to deliver it to their address too. A bit tricky if you don't have a car!
Reply 2
lol @ IF someone orders something you are expected to deliver to their address. Er yes, thats what Kleeneze is about, its a home shopping service lol no wonder you didn't make any money.
But I agree to a certain extent. Ive done Avon & Kleeneze years ago. Its very little money, for a lot of work. And yes, its only worth it if you recruit people. Its basically a pyramid scheme. Only the persons near the top make any real money. When I did it, it was 15 quid for the catalogues, but that was years ago.
I wouldn't ever do it again personally. Would sooner be a leaflet distributer x
I do Betterware, and to be honest I suggest you steer clear. Its frustrating thankless work, and very fiddly because my coordinator has to arrange to come to my house every week to deliver the goods, and you don't necessarily get paid if they don't order anything. I didnt have to pay for the catalogues but the annoying thing is that you get a stingy 20%, so for all the effort running round after people who haven't left their catalogue outside for you to collect :rolleyes: and all the calculation you have to do say if the delivery cycle is slightly out of synch.
Reply 4
electron1
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR LEAFLET DISTRIBUTION

kleeneze works it's the person that dos not
Reply 5
electron1
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR LEAFLET DISTRIBUTION

I would rather work at Sainsburys now. Oh hang on, I do :biggrin: 16 hours pay, for 16 hours work. I'd like to see a youngster earn more than minimum wage doing Kleeneze/Betterware/Avon etc. No chance. Kleeneze only works for those at the top. And even then, its extremely hard work, constantly having to recruit new people because the ones at the bottom never stick at it, & why would they when they're the skivvies.
(and I do know the facts, I was conned into going to the meetings too...yawn) LOL
Reply 6
Spazzycazzy
I would rather work at Sainsburys now. Oh hang on, I do :biggrin: 16 hours pay, for 16 hours work. I'd like to see a youngster earn more than minimum wage doing Kleeneze/Betterware/Avon etc. No chance. Kleeneze only works for those at the top. And even then, its extremely hard work, constantly having to recruit new people because the ones at the bottom never stick at it, & why would they when they're the skivvies.
(and I do know the facts, I was conned into going to the meetings too...yawn) LOL

hang on are you not working for someone? doing what they say when they say are you not their skivvies with your manager at the top making all the money.

not you
Reply 7
electron1
hang on are you not working for someone? doing what they say when they say are you not their skivvies with your manager at the top making all the money.

not you

And they pay me to do it. With Kleeneze, you are making money for the ones at the top, you walk the streets posting catalogues (takes longer than you think) then have to go back & collect them, & thats if they have left them out (takes even longer than you think) then you have to order the stuff, then you have to sort it out for who its for, bag it up, deliver it, and thats if they are in, so usually a fair bit of evening work involved there, what with people at work in the day (takes eeeven longer than you think) And out of that you get 20% of whatever the item is, usually an average spend of 3 or 4 quid. Its a mugs game. Thats why not everyones doing it :yep: I did it in an affluent area, 14 years ago, no credit crunch back then, & I was lucky to get 30 quid for a weeks work on average, & that was with about 10 hours work in all, probably more if I really worked it out. And thats not taking into account tax you have to sort yourself, even more time. I'm rubbish at math, but even I know its a con.
I would sooner iron peoples clothes self employed, that would pay better & I wouldn't freeze my nads off doing it :biggrin:
Reply 8
from your words it's clear you are happy working for someone else for minimum pay and making them rich and making their dreams come true.

So it's a con you think that way let other people see for their selves and judge like hundreds and hundreds others have done.

you only get out what you put in so it's my guess you done kleeneze half heartily and when it rained or was cold you dessicated to stay in the house where it was warm. I will say no more on Kleeneze because it works and not a scam good luck with you 9 to 5 poor pay job?
Reply 9
electron1
from your words it's clear you are happy working for someone else for minimum pay and making them rich and making their dreams come true.

So it's a con you think that way let other people see for their selves and judge like hundreds and hundreds others have done.

you only get out what you put in so it's my guess you done kleeneze half heartily and when it rained or was cold you dessicated to stay in the house where it was warm. I will say no more on Kleeneze because it works and not a scam good luck with you 9 to 5 poor pay job?

9 til 1, 4 days a week, 420 quid in my bank every month. Way more than the equivilant hours with catalogue work :biggrin: I like someone else having the hassles, & me earning a steady regular wage. I have too much else going on in life to be juggling hours & fluctuating income.
But you're right, of course let others try it. The thread starter asked peoples opinions on it, we gave them.
Wonder if they ever did give it a go. This is an old thread ya know! :yep:
Reply 10
Botticello
I do Betterware, and to be honest I suggest you steer clear. Its frustrating thankless work, and very fiddly because my coordinator has to arrange to come to my house every week to deliver the goods, and you don't necessarily get paid if they don't order anything. I didnt have to pay for the catalogues but the annoying thing is that you get a stingy 20%, so for all the effort running round after people who haven't left their catalogue outside for you to collect :rolleyes: and all the calculation you have to do say if the delivery cycle is slightly out of synch.

I nearly did betterware, but avoided it at the last minute, got to the point where someone was gonna come to my house to interview me, but i rang up with some shoddy excuse like an hour later, read some awful reviews about it! How much money do u make on it, part time?
adam14193
I nearly did betterware, but avoided it at the last minute, got to the point where someone was gonna come to my house to interview me, but i rang up with some shoddy excuse like an hour later, read some awful reviews about it! How much money do u make on it, part time?

Be glad. It's not worth it. I'm leaving very soon because its a load of crap. If you sold a £10 order for example, if you're lucky, you'd recieve £2 which is not fair since youre doing all the running round for the people at the top of the pyramid, read spazzycazzys posts. Plus I hate my coordinator as she expects me to post about 200 when I have no car (what the ****?) and is very strict and unreasonable. I was conned by a misleading advert acting like you were guaranteed a hundred pounds every week for little effort.
Reply 12
Original post by Botticello

So, please could you tell me what you earn on average per week? I'm thinking of starting delivering catalogues and if it's not above something like 30 quid a week i may very well steer clear haha
Reply 13
Kleeneze catalogue distribution is, I agree, poorly paid, but only initially.

Some people will not return your catalogues, so you note down those houses and don't give them another one.

Some houses ask you not to deliver again and you pass them by in future.

Some houses will never buy from you and just leave the catalogue out for collection, without even opening it. If this happens after three consecutive occasions, don't leave a catalogue in future.

Using this process of elimination you will be left only with those houses that order from you at least once every three drops, with many ordering more frequently. They'll also be houses that look after your catalogues and return them every time, so the cost of replacement catalogues will only be a small percentage of your overall earnings.

At this point, you'll probably be dropping and retrieving 50 catalogues a week which will take you about three and a half hours including order processing and product delivery. You will probably be generating £800 - £1,000 of orders per month and be earning around £260 profit. £260 for about 14 to 15 hours per month - that's about £17 an hour.

How does that compare with stacking supermarket shelves?

By the way, almost every conventional business, that has more than 8 employees, has a pyramid structure, and the CEO earns more than anyone else.

For those of you who yell, "Its a pyramid!", pyramid sales companies are illegal, so Kleeneze would have been shut down by the government years ago if it was a pyramid selling company.

I hope this helps
(edited 10 years ago)
hmm this does have the potential to work, but at the end of the day there is no guarantee you will make money....
Reply 15
I have been checking this site as was just about to join Kleeneze... thanks God I had my second thought and didn't.
I agree if you put maximum in anything, continuously for long period of time it will eventually work... but... the question is how high you rate yourself. Nobody wants to run up and down the road like a headless chicken for very little money which is not even guaranteed!!! Who gets a pleasure of being in the rain and snow ( non applicable for Britain - thanks God!), wind and storm to earn £50 (a week?). Moreover, how about carrying weighty catalogues in a trolley for days, weeks, months and hopefully not years... and exposing yourself to traffic pollution, people's thankless attitude, rudeness sometimes before you build a good relationship to ones who will order for £10 and you get what? £1 from it? The bright future doesn't come immediately but it is a hard work... and you have to have good health for that too. This is not about being lazy, slow or stupid... you won't suggest a 50 years old man or woman to do that. May be a student... but younger generation is very sharp nowadays... and won't do hard job for nothing. Yes, those at the top of the line did it... but when? 10 years ago... don't you agree things were different 10 years ago? Life was different... and you, at the top do not dare to say: I did it - you can do it! If we are all the same... then why don't we all run Downing street or White House? Because we lazy, slow, not ambitious... I think simply because have not had opportunities as them! And if all we can sell is pair of hands and legs, knowledge, experience, intelligence to earn money then why don't we just simply sell it as expensive as we can... not as cheap as we can!
Reply 16
Original post by RoseAnn
I have been checking this site as was just about to join Kleeneze... thanks God I had my second thought and didn't.
I agree if you put maximum in anything, continuously for long period of time it will eventually work... but... the question is how high you rate yourself. Nobody wants to run up and down the road like a headless chicken for very little money which is not even guaranteed!!! Who gets a pleasure of being in the rain and snow ( non applicable for Britain - thanks God!), wind and storm to earn £50 (a week?). Moreover, how about carrying weighty catalogues in a trolley for days, weeks, months and hopefully not years... and exposing yourself to traffic pollution, people's thankless attitude, rudeness sometimes before you build a good relationship to ones who will order for £10 and you get what? £1 from it? The bright future doesn't come immediately but it is a hard work... and you have to have good health for that too. This is not about being lazy, slow or stupid... you won't suggest a 50 years old man or woman to do that. May be a student... but younger generation is very sharp nowadays... and won't do hard job for nothing. Yes, those at the top of the line did it... but when? 10 years ago... don't you agree things were different 10 years ago? Life was different... and you, at the top do not dare to say: I did it - you can do it! If we are all the same... then why don't we all run Downing street or White House? Because we lazy, slow, not ambitious... I think simply because have not had opportunities as them! And if all we can sell is pair of hands and legs, knowledge, experience, intelligence to earn money then why don't we just simply sell it as expensive as we can... not as cheap as we can!

It's just as well that we are all different. Yes, things have changed in some ways, but people still buy things and surprisingly people still buy things from catalogues.

Not everyone will want to do Kleeneze, although most physically fit people over the age of 18 and can do it. Does the fact that, not everyone wants to stack supermarket shelves, or work as warehouse operatives, or be surgeons, make those jobs bad? Of course not.

I've been a warehouse operative and I wouldn't want to do it again. It doesn't mean to say it's a bad job. It suits a lot of people, but it didn't suit me.

Kleeneze suits a lot of people. It just doesn't suit you.
Reply 17
Original post by Mohid Khan
hmm this does have the potential to work, but at the end of the day there is no guarantee you will make money....

There aren't any guarantees in anything in life. You may be in a job and expecting to be paid at the end of the month. You may not live to payday.
Original post by sandfire
It's just as well that we are all different. Yes, things have changed in some ways, but people still buy things and surprisingly people still buy things from catalogues.

Not everyone will want to do Kleeneze, although most physically fit people over the age of 18 and can do it. Does the fact that, not everyone wants to stack supermarket shelves, or work as warehouse operatives, or be surgeons, make those jobs bad? Of course not.

I've been a warehouse operative and I wouldn't want to do it again. It doesn't mean to say it's a bad job. It suits a lot of people, but it didn't suit me.

Kleeneze suits a lot of people. It just doesn't suit you.

if your making 17 an hour doing it, i would just do it full time
Reply 19
Original post by rickfloss

Original post by rickfloss

Hi Rick,

A really great guy call Zig Ziglar once said, "You can have
everything you want in life, if you just help enough other
people get what they want."

So, if I know how to earn £17 to £20 an hour then I could
show others how to.

Now if I got paid by the company, say 10% commission the
extra business created by me introducing others, then
that could be usefull extra income for me.

Say I continued to earn £17 an hour on my own sales plus I
introduced 10 others over six months who copied me.

Say that those 10 people each sold £1,000 per month -
$10,000 total. I earn say 10% of that - £1,000 a month

Add that to my own earnings of £260 making £1,260 a month.

But now I am working 8 hours a week in total. That's say 32
hours a month. That's about £39 an hour.

If I carry on for a while longer and say find 20 to 25
people who copy me then I could be earning £3,000 a month
for 32 hours a week - roughly £100 an hour.

So, I don't need to work full-time.

What is just as important is this. Every one of those people
I introduce has just the same opportunity to earn as I do.
Some will earn more than me, if they do more work. What do I
call that? "Fair".

The wealthy have always used leverage, and what I have just
explained is leverage.

I hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest