The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oxbridge, Imperial, Edinburgh, Warwick, Bristol, Southampton.
Birmingham, Surrey, Loughborough are some which are less often mentioned but are actually great.

Not to repeat any of the ones above, Edinburgh, Newcastle, UCL are also good for CS.
Reply 4
apparently cambridge have a very good computer science course.
Apply to Imperial, a lot of hard work - but it's worth it in the end.
Reply 6
Oxbridge, Imperial, York, Warwick, Manchester, Edinburgh, Southampton
Reply 7
Kalashnikov
Apply to Imperial, a lot of hard work - but it's worth it in the end.

how hard is hard?
Reply 8
Bath is worth mentioning. (Yes I go to Bath [for Comp Sci] so there's an obvious bias, but some others mentioned here were in the 5 I applied to.)
Grogs
Bath is worth mentioning. (Yes I go to Bath [for Comp Sci] so there's an obvious bias, but some others mentioned here were in the 5 I applied to.)

snap :biggrin:

Just a note though, while oxbridge for CS is awesome, their courses are very theoretical. At the open day we were essentially told don't apply if you want a practical course. So thats something you have to think about.
Reply 10
imo Computer Science isn't a practical course at all and certainly shouldn't be. If you want a more practical course choose Software Engineering or AI or something like that.
laser
imo Computer Science isn't a practical course at all and certainly shouldn't be. If you want a more practical course choose Software Engineering or AI or something like that.

true, but you need to do some programming. Else, what's the point of knowing the theory if you can't put it into practice? (and yes, I realise CS isn't just programming, but you can't deny that programming is a bit part of CS).
Newcastle uni's main emphasis is on the practical side.
Reply 13
ShaolinTemple
Newcastle uni's main emphasis is on the practical side.

Practical side? If I sound ignorant here, I'm sorry. Do you mean the practical side to do with Hardware? Or is there a practical side with software? And can you tell me what it is?
Oh, sorry. Practical on the coding side. The course requires no previous knowledge and so they teach us javascript for the first semester and then java. We did some shell scripting in linux which was nonsense. The coursework for the main programming module is worth 50% of the final mark, the rest is an exam.

I don't think any uni's will do any practicals with the hardware, I don't know.
Reply 15
ShaolinTemple
Oh, sorry. Practical on the coding side. The course requires no previous knowledge and so they teach us javascript for the first semester and then java. We did some shell scripting in linux which was nonsense. The coursework for the main programming module is worth 50% of the final mark, the rest is an exam.

I don't think any uni's will do any practicals with the hardware, I don't know.

At least York do. I believe Cambridge, Warwick and Soton do as well.
Reply 16
WelshBluebird
but you can't deny that programming is a bit part of CS).

a bit?? :s-smilie:
Reply 17
newman24x
a bit?? :s-smilie:

I think he means: "big part of cs" :smile:
-Matt
I think he means: "big part of cs" :smile:

:yep:

Yeah, sorry. Your correct.
Reply 19
WelshBluebird
:yep: