The Student Room Group

Proving a fraction involving infinity tends to 0

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Kolya
But n2n=nn - 2n = -n \to -\infty , and n2n\frac{n}{2n} does not go to 0, so I also am not sure what you are hoping to do.

You can't directly compare the two like that, it's absurd. Look at what I am saying. I am trying to point out that this becomes:

3^y where y=ln(n)/ln(3) - n , and that y tends to negative infinity as n tends to infinity. And a constant to the power of a large negative will tend to zero.

(Sometimes I need a brick wall next to me). You're all very clever, most much cleverer than I, so when you get confused it annoys me.

And yes, at some point I will start using LaTex again.
Reply 21
Infinity is NOT a real number and you can't treat it like one.
Reply 22
v-zero
You can't directly compare the two like that, it's absurd. Look at what I am saying. I am trying to point out that this becomes:

3^y where y=ln(n)/ln(3) - n , and that y tends to negative infinity as n tends to infinity. And a constant to the power of a large negative will tend to zero.
Okay, I understand your approach now, but how are you planning on showing lognlog3n\frac{\log n}{\log 3} - n \to -\infty ?
Reply 23
Kolya
Okay, I understand your approach now, but how are you planning on showing lognlog3n\frac{\log n}{\log 3} - n \to -\infty ?

By showing that it is a decreasing function, and that it has no minimum value - using calculus.
v-zero
By showing that it is a decreasing function, and that it has no minimum value - using calculus.
Or, to put it another (somewhat uncharitable) way, the method you suggested in post #16 (which didn't mention any of that) was seriously incomplete.

To agree with GE: If you'd written what you did in #16 in an exam I was marking, you'd get 0.

More generally, seeing this can be proved using only basic algebra (as opposed to using log, exp, infinite series or calculus), I find most of the solutions suggested somewhat inelegant.
Reply 25
DFranklin
Or, to put it another (somewhat uncharitable) way, the method you suggested in post #16 (which mentioned neither log n or calculus) was seriously incomplete.

To agree with GE: If you'd written what you did in #16 in an exam I was marking, you'd get 0.

More generally, seeing this can be proved using only basic algebra (as opposed to using log, exp, infinite series or calculus), I find most of the solutions suggested somewhat inelegant.

I'm sorry, was I filling in an exam paper, I wasn't informed of this. :mad:

A proof is a proof and that's that. Elegance is one thing, but I don't remember being asked how this could be most elegantly proven, and my method relies on very elementary Mathematics. Back down, this isn't a position from which those who disagreed with me can argue solidly any longer. My solution is an obvious and valid one.
v-zero
I'm sorry, was I filling in an exam paper, I wasn't informed of this. :mad:

A proof is a proof and that's that.
And should you actually post a proof, I will be delighted to see it.

Elegance is one thing, but I don't remember being asked how this could be most elegantly proven, and my method relies on very elementary Mathematics.
Your method is far from elementary. You need to define what log is. Prove that it is differentiable. You also need to prove that a function whose derivative is always negative is decreasing (generally done using the Mean Value Theorem). Not to mention that all this stuff that even you agree needs to be done wasn't actually mentioned in your post at #16.

Back down, this isn't a position from which those who disagreed with me can argue solidly any longer. My solution is an obvious and valid one.
You are wrong. It's so far from valid that as I said, you'd not get a single mark for it in an exam.
Gaz031
Infinity is NOT a real number and you can't treat it like one.

Nobody has mentioned this in the whole thread, the blatant use of infinity like it's a number! Probably more due to the fact this topic comes up every week...

Some of the arguments are funny though. Strange, i've learned something this term :yes: :getmecoat:
v-zero
My solution is an obvious and valid one.

Uh? Yet again: n - 2n tends to -infinity, but n/2n does not tend to 0. Your proof is simply not valid.
v-zero
And a constant to the power of a large negative will tend to zero.

Not true. Consider, (1/3)n (1/3)^{n} . As n tends to negative infinity, this this does not tend to 0.
Reply 30
@v-zero: I understand why you are saying what you saying, and why you think it is sensible. However, anybody who has taken any course on limits (i.e. Analysis) would never think of taking the approach you are attempting. The question is an elementary one on limits, such as those encountered at the beginning of a course, but you are having to assume numerous results that would take hours more work to justify properly. David's proof uses one simple theorem, that of the comparison test, but your attempts require so many unstated theorems and lemmas that it cannot (even if made to work!) constitute a suitable proof given the level of the question.

I think it's just something to put down to experience... :dontknow:
Reply 31
IrrationalNumber
Not true. Consider, (1/3)n (1/3)^{n} . As n tends to negative infinity, this this does not tend to 0.

Sorry, any real constant greater than one.

generalebriety
Uh? Yet again: n - 2n tends to -infinity, but n/2n does not tend to 0. Your proof is simply not valid.

I accept that there is plenty of groundwork to be done to prove the validity of what I have done, as others have mentioned, and I accept that I have not posted a rigorous proof (and I do not intend to, it would be a waste of my time). However, are you seriously arguing that supposing the groundwork was in place, that the limit of one divided by a term tending to infinity is not zero?

Kolya
@v-zero: I understand why you are saying what you saying, and why you think it is sensible. However, anybody who has taken any course on limits (i.e. Analysis) would never think of taking the approach you are attempting. The question is an elementary one on limits, such as those encountered at the beginning of a course, but you are having to assume numerous results that would take hours more work to justify properly. David's proof uses one simple theorem, that of the comparison test, but your attempts require so many unstated theorems and lemmas that it cannot (even if made to work!) constitute a suitable proof given the level of the question.

I think it's just something to put down to experience... :dontknow:

That is fine, I do not disagree that my solution is unusual, and I look forward to studying all of this at university, but it would constitute a proof despite it being convoluted.

Lastly I want to make something clear: I was posting a plausible and understandable method, not a proof, and that was always my intention. I did not want, or expect, a number of intelligent and at times brilliant Mathematicains to come wading in waving their terms (as in tri-annual periods of study) of University Mathemats in my face, as if that knowledge somehow made them better than me. If I approached helping my younger brother with the same tactless mind-set then he would not seek my advice or opinion again.
So, thank you all for capping off a crap day of food-poisoning with a huge helping of heinously critical prudishness. I will now find that rope from which it appears you all have deigned I should hang lifelessly.
Kolya
@v-zero: I understand why you are saying what you saying, and why you think it is sensible. However, anybody who has taken any course on limits (i.e. Analysis) would never think of taking the approach you are attempting.I confess, I hadn't realised v-zero wasn't at university or I wouldn't have been so hard on him.
Reply 33
v-zero
However, are you seriously arguing that supposing the groundwork was in place, that the limit of one divided by a term tending to infinity is not zero?
Well, probably one of the first things you will prove at university is that that assumption is actually true!
Reply 34
Kolya
Well, probably one of the first things you will prove at university is that that assumption is actually true!

That was not an "assumption".
DFranklin
Rather than pull in exp, ln, and infinite series, note that n < 2^n, so 0<n3n<2n3n=(23)n0 < \frac{n}{3^n} < \frac{2^n}{3^n} = \left(\frac{2}{3}\right)^n and the RHS clearly tends to 0 as n goes to infinity.

lax. stop having such a rant at v-zero.

Define yourself properly Franklin... n/3^n is not always greater than 0!! Try n = -1!
Reply 36
L'hopital anybody ?
King of TSR
lax. stop having such a rant at v-zero.
The post you quoted wasn't even a response to v-zero.

Define yourself properly Franklin... n/3^n is not always greater than 0!! Try n = -1!
Seeing as we're discussing what happens as nn \to \infty your comment is not terribly relevant.
DFranklin
The post you quoted wasn't even a response to v-zero.

Please enlighten me as to how that has any relevance at all.

DFranklin

Seeing as we're discussing what happens as nn \to \infty your comment is not terribly relevant.

Not relevant, no. But then again, nor were your comments about v-zero's solution, given that we weren't trying to write a formal proof that would pass the rigorous assessment of a university analysis professor.

Hush.
King of TSR
Please enlighten me as to how that has any relevance at all. Sorry, I thought you were saying what you quoted was a rant.

But if you're going to talk about who started ranting at whom, you might want to look at v-zero's response to GE at post #18.

Not relevant, no. But then again, nor were your comments about v-zero's solution, given that we weren't trying to write a formal proof that would pass the rigorous assessment of a university analysis professor.
Sorry, but what v-zero posted was pretty much nonsense. Whereas you would be very unlucky to lose a single mark for leaving out "n0\forall n \ge 0" in what I posted. For example, it's the kind of thing that a "university analysis professor" wouldn't bat an eyelid over.

Quick Reply

Latest