The Student Room Group

Getting an offer...

I suppose I'm tempting fate by asking this but never mind. I know that last year lots of my friends who got into Cambridge received telephone calls from tutors to tell them. A number were also asked at that time whether or not they'd be accepting the place. Question is...what happens if you're not sure whether or not you want the place and want to wait to find out which other universities you've got into? If you say that, can Cambridge withdraw the offer because presumably they telephone before contacting UCAS so they've only made a verbal committment...

I'm not sure whether this post makes much sense. Apologies if it doesn't!
Reply 1
I doubt they'll telephone you.

Even if they do, I think they want to know whether you're definitely rejecting, rather than definitely accepting.
Reply 2
It's very unlikely they will telephone you. AFAIK, this is much more common for Oxford applicants, not Cambridge.

If they called me and asked if I wanted to accept (and I wasn't sure) I would just say yes anyway. You can always change your mind.
Reply 3
Mine demanded confirmation in writing...
As JCB says, you can always change your mind later if you accept now. Acceptance doesn't mean placing it as firm on UCAS which is irreversible and doesn't need to be done till March (I think)
Reply 4
I'm confused, how does accepting differ from putting it as firm?
LH123
I'm confused, how does accepting differ from putting it as firm?

To verbally accept an offer over the phone is not binding and it does not alter the UCAS system, accepting it as firm on UCAS is binding; only you can change UCAS, Cambridge could only take your word for it and do nothing if you actually didn't accept it as your firm in the end.
Reply 6
It doesn't. What they were saying is that if they call you and you aren't sure then accept anyway. They ask because if not they can give your place to someone else. This is in January, but as you don't sort things on UCAS until much later, that is the point where you can change your mind. Remember that Track doesn't get updated for Cambridge until ages after you find out whether you've been made an offer.
Reply 7
Ah. So say yes on the phone, if the situation arises, but don't feel too bad if you later don't accept them as firm ? :p:
Reply 8
Yes. Although personally I would feel bad, they normally ask you to indicate by letter rather than by phone (they did for me anyway)
Reply 9
I kind of think the letter form is worse for this purpose, as they have evidence :p: Although if that's what they were after that they could record calls I suppose.
Reply 10
There's no reason to feel bad if you say "yes" on the phone/by letter then later change your mind. If you don't want to take up the offer, then they're not going to get stroppy about it and force you! There are plenty of other suitable candidates who can take your place.
True. They have nothing to gain by pressurising someone to take a place if they don't really want it.

Latest

Trending

Trending