The Student Room Group
Reply 1
the wolf at door
The fact that Marx takes a wider view of capitalism - taking more of a macro view, like stating it's the upper classes that 'trample' on the working class. Whereas Weber looks at the capitalism in a more micro fashion, by looking at how people interact with one another......?

Weber accepts that a middle class exist, where as for Marx it's just the bourgeoisie and proletariat.

Weber claims that power can be gained in three ways; party power, status and economic power, whereas Marx says economic power is the only form of power.

Did you need to know anything in particular? I could go on about small differences between the two :p:

:clip:
well the actual question i need to answer is: Compare and Contrast the Conceptions of Capitalism Set Out in the Writings of Marx and Weber?

Any points for that would be fantastic..
I'd help you out if I were less exhausted :frown:. We've done this topic to DEATH this term.

IMO the main difference is how they believe capitalism came about. I don't think the Macro/Micro concept is that important as it's to do with the methodology rather than their actual theories.
Reply 4
the wolf at door
Compare and Contrast the Conceptions of Capitalism Set Out in the Writings of Marx and Weber?

Marx saw the economy as determining social change and the rise of capitalism. He looked at "structural" forces. Weber saw several factors and how they influenced social change and the rise of capitalism. Weber was concerned with capitalism as a system of "social action" and looked at the connections between religion, law and politics.

Marx saw the economic base as determining the superstructure (the ideas, law, politics, religion, etc) although he also recognised that these institutions will in turn also influence the base. So that there exists some "reciprocity" between economic base and superstructure.

Weber recognises these institutions but sees them not as structure influencing behaviour but as social groups composed of individuals engaged in "social action"

Marx saw the development of capitalism as inevitable (because of structure) but Weber saw it as the result of a number of social forces (social actions) coming together by historical accident.

Marx was critical of capitalist society and sought to change it. Weber by contrast was less critical and felt that an analysis of capitalism should be value-free. For Weber, Marx's criticism of capitalism as an exploitative system clouded the pursuit of truth.

HTH

Ad

Latest

Trending

Trending