The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by her-own-wings
Okay- I'll explain the situation first. I'm 18yrs old, upon leaving school I went to sixth form and stayed until jan however had to leave due to illness. The following september (this september just gone) I attempted to restart my first year (AS) however my illness became even worse and was forced to leave as I was admitted into hospital and am still there and will be for a few more weeks.

The thing is, I am desperate to go to university, however to restart my AS's next year I will be 19 and therefore unable to do so in a sixth form. I've looked into alternative routes and have found that my local college does access courses. The only access course they do to my knowledge is a social sciences course which is pretty much ideal as the a-levels I was studying were psychology, sociology and english lit. However, I have a few questions, and I was just wondering if there was any chance as to whether anyone could perhaps try and answer some;

1- Do you need to be 19 to BEGIN an access course? On enrolment to the course, I will be 18. The course is due to begin in early September and I am 19 at the end of September.

2-Can I go to uni with an access course UNDER the age of 21 (i.e the age of a mature student)?

3-If I do this course, does it limit me as to what degree I can apply for? I.e does it HAVE to be a social sciences degree or would I be able to, say, do a joint hons sociology and english lit degree?

4-The course details say it takes up 3 days per week so would I be able to study for a maths GCSE alongside this?

I have tried to email the admissions officer but have had no reply! Thanks a lot - appreciate any feedback!

1. Well the minimum age to start the access course at the Uni I'm going to is 19 on 1st September 2013

2. Well yes; I'm starting the course at 20 (I will turn 21 at the end of september though...)

3. It depends on what degree you are planning to study; but I do think if you were to study Sociology with English Lit then it would be a good idea to get a head start but check with the uni first.

4. Yes you can :smile: its like working alongside the course; you just to need find the right balance.. but if your chosen degree doesn't require you do have a C or higher; you don't have to do it.

Hope this helps :biggrin:

xxx
Reply 41
I'm literally going through the same kind of problem, which upset me so much. I recently turned 18 this year and my A level grades were really bad, I know I didn't spend too much time revising, which sucks, btw this was my first year doing A levels, everyone in my class had already done it the previous year. My college said I can't re take my A levels and that I should look at a different pathway, which really upsets me. So I decided not to go back to that college and now I'm just really confused with what to do, whether I should re take my A levels somewhere else or do a access course including socio, english etc. Since I have a passion for English I wanted to do something related with that and creative writing. But the thing is apparently you have to be 19 that's what I've been hearing, my parents are telling me to take a gap year, but I just don't want to give up. And also is maths compulsory in a access course, since I haven't got that yet.
To answer the OP's questions, I do fear that some universities (especially the better ones) may reject you on the ground that you did the Access course when you did. However, your individual situation may count as overwhelming person circumstances and universities may choose to waive this.

The best thing you can do is call the institutions you'd like to go to, explain your situation - giving detail to your personal situation - and see what happens. Good luck.
I've just finished an Access Course ready to start a degree in a few weeks. I am however a traditional mature student at 38 but I can give answer some of your questions based on our course and cohort. I thought it was easier to answer next to your questions. Hopefully that can help you a little.
Original post by her-own-wings

1- Do you need to be 19 to BEGIN an access course? On enrolment to the course, I will be 18. The course is due to begin in early September and I am 19 at the end of September.

On our course there was someone in exactly the same situation. She had been turned down by the college close to her home because she was too young, so she travelled to our college who were quite happy to allow her a place on the course. Basically I think it's dependant on the tutor who is responsible for interviewing applicants.

2-Can I go to uni with an access course UNDER the age of 21 (i.e the age of a mature student)? Yes the qualification stands no matter what your age

3-If I do this course, does it limit me as to what degree I can apply for? I.e does it HAVE to be a social sciences degree or would I be able to, say, do a joint hons sociology and english lit degree?
In the experience of my friends who have got places for this year it hasn't caused a problem however the entry requirements can vary greatly. I can't stress how important it is to know what grades you need as early as possible. Ask the Uni's you are wanting to apply to for the pass profile you would need to achieve. Some ask for a very high number of distinctions and some people I studied with needed to be gaining distinctions from pretty much the first assignment.

4-The course details say it takes up 3 days per week so would I be able to study for a maths GCSE alongside this?
I did this and to be honest it made life so much easier as we were doing modules on the Access course that are also covered in The GCSE syllabus. I already had a C from 20 years ago but as I am considering PGCE after my degree I needed to have a B. It wasn't actually that much more work on top of the Access Course but be warned the course itself is very intense. A few people took it as an alternative to resitting A levels expecting a much easier course. They regularly said that they thought resitting would have been easier.

Whatever you decide good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
sorry what college is this , as i am 18 and i would love to enrol onto an access course
This thread was started in 2008, the OP must have long finished uni now haha.

But to anyone who is reading this and has the same query, they may find studying for their access course via distance learning a good route if a college doesn't permit them to register as they're too young. This company is "The Distance Learning Centre", though I would urge people to do their own research before embarking on a course.

Also, I started but didn't complete an access course when I was a few months off 19, at Halesowen College, Birmingham, though their admissions policy may have changed now as this was a few years ago.
im 17 years old and want to do a one year access course to gouniversity . do u know where i can do this please
On my Access course if you don't have GCSE Maths / English C grade they make you take it and you don't get a pass in your access unless you get them!!

I have one friend that has been accepted into a great uni to do History but she still has to do Maths GCSE (I think it's one lesson a week) on top of her Access course. Access is hard work alone and GCSE is extra! However, it depends on how much paid work you have to do.

Best thing wait a week, email them or call.
I'm 18 and currently doing an access course. It's a lot of work but I did get accepted to some decent universities
Please what college do you go to
Original post by EmpireofRome
This thread was started in 2008, the OP must have long finished uni now haha.

But to anyone who is reading this and has the same query, they may find studying for their access course via distance learning a good route if a college doesn't permit them to register as they're too young. This company is "The Distance Learning Centre", though I would urge people to do their own research before embarking on a course.

Also, I started but didn't complete an access course when I was a few months off 19, at Halesowen College, Birmingham, though their admissions policy may have changed now as this was a few years ago.

So Halesowen college allows you to do the access course at 18
(edited 7 years ago)
Because this thread is so old, I am closing it so that out of date information does not get passed on. Please start a new thread.

Latest

Trending

Trending