The Student Room Group

Overboard or conservative and subtle?

Well I have my mock for English Language 2 tomorrow which means I have to describe about something (already ruled out other options as this is the best in my opinion). Anyway I was wondering (would be helpful if the people replying got A/A*) if it is better to go overboard and pack my writing with a lot of like repetition, triples, metaphors, similes and all those language techniques OR should I try and take a more subtle stance and do less of them but so I don't seem like I have learnt a few techniques and I want to pack them in.

I mean my teacher says you HAVE to basically answer the question and show the examiner you know all the techniques so going overboard seems better BUT the problem I am thinking of is that they will think it is just a bit too extravagent and mad and will think I just wanted to pack it in with techniques and not properly think about it.

What are your views?
Honestly?

Try to mix the two xD I did a 'Describe yourself.' question once and got full marks by comparing myself to a rabbit. For my real exam, I got 'Describe your home.' or something, and I made out like my house was alive, like comparing it to a giant cat or something (I got an A*, so something worked). Basically, it's not all that good just to put in lots of metaphors or similes that don't make any sense, I don't think, but conscious crafting is okay.

I think some people almost try to be 'too clever' and in doing so actually miss the point of the exam. You'll probably get a really weird question, because they like to give you strange stuff, but if you're confident as a writer and you can use language well, then you'll be fine.
Reply 2
So would you say that I definitely should try at least to put in like all techniques I know to show the examiner that I know what they are and how to use them? I understand it has to make sense of course but putting that aside.
Yeah, I think so. That's what I did, I think - basically using big metaphors and stuff. But you do have to be slightly conservative, I think - as in, don't have every single paragraph, like, a simile then a metaphor then a rhetorical question then repetition for emphasis...you know?
Reply 4
kai4321
So would you say that I definitely should try at least to put in like all techniques I know to show the examiner that I know what they are and how to use them? I understand it has to make sense of course but putting that aside.

Don't put in multiple examples of each technique, cos that would get tiresome.

One example of each is probably good, but obviously make sure it still reads well. To be honest, as long as you write clearly, with few mistakes, and using some devices, it isn't too hard to score highly.
Overboard with techniques. Get loads in and make sure you compare!
Reply 6
I had describe a place I did not like (Department stores as Christmas time) and to be honest, I didn't go for the techniques at all. I tried to go stylised and made the sentences short, clipped and alarmingly metaphorical.

And I won't find out till January if it worked :P
Reply 7
Try and pack them all in, but not make it obvious. A happy medium between the two options you've given would be the best :smile: But don't make your techniques stick out a sore thumb - that's probably worse than not including that many! You'd really impress the examiner if you can incoroporate a range of techniques into your writing whilst making it flow nicely.

Latest