The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I'm starting thai boxing once my back heals, I'm gonna kick all yo asses.

Most dudes I've seen who do it in changing rooms etc are fat/bigger than me, will be fun.
Reply 61
Bebbs
Fighting techniques won't help you when theres 250lbs of the Bebbs train charging yo ass.

Next stop.

PAIN TIME!

Ever heard of Bob Sapp?
Krush
Ever heard of Bob Sapp?

Yeah, didn't he beat Ernesto Hoost?
Reply 63
Size matters

Reply 64
burningnun
Yeah, didn't he beat Ernesto Hoost?

Yes but that was the start of Bob Sapp's career, no one knew how he fought as it was so atypical. From then on, it's been going downhill for him. His "charging" strategy got him nowhere, people like Musashi (who weighs 100lbs less than Sapp) beat him easily. When you're a big monster like Sapp, you loose most of your energy after the first half of the first round so if he can't get a KO by then (which is most of the time), he is ******. Not saying size doesn't matter because it obviously does but when powerlifters and the likes who have no martial arts/boxing/mma experience say that they are also great fighters too, I find that pretty ludicrous.

Are you the guy with the blue t-shirt on the youtube video you posted?
Yes. Blue t shirt. Funny video.

Edit I've never heard of a PL'er claiming to be a great fighter. Mike Miller is starting MMA I think but he's going through the amueter route since he doesn't have a wrestling pedigree like Brock.
Reply 66
burningnun
Yes. Blue t shirt. Funny video.

Any reason why you guys didn't clinch/kick/knee? Need to keep a tighter guard mate, you're way too open! :smile:
Krush
Any reason why you guys didn't clinch/kick/knee? Need to keep a tighter guard mate, you're way too open! :smile:

Boxing was the game. At the time (this was in May and it was the last time I did any kind of fight) I had a bit of kickboxing training so I kept wanting to kick him. My guard and head movement sucks which is why I don't do fighting much because although I can walk through quite hard punches (growing up with big brother = decent chin) I like my brain cells.

When I was kickboxing though we occasionally did grappling and I was 10x as good at wrestling than anyone there (with no training) so that's why I think I would win a fight against a pure TKD guy who isn't strong.
Reply 68
Damn nunz you got battered
lol I landed one good punch the entire fight (when he started going backwards) but the camera didn't get it. Like I said he tricked me so that's my excuse lol.
Reply 70
burningnun
Boxing was the game. At the time (this was in May and it was the last time I did any kind of fight) I had a bit of kickboxing training so I kept wanting to kick him. My guard and head movement sucks which is why I don't do fighting much because although I can walk through quite hard punches (growing up with big brother = decent chin) I like my brain cells.

When I was kickboxing though we occasionally did grappling and I was 10x as good at wrestling than anyone there (with no training) so that's why I think I would win a fight against a pure TKD guy who isn't strong.

Kickboxing is a very good sport, far better than taekwondo no doubt about that. I've been moving around between karate, taekwondo, full-contact kickboxing and muay thai since I started in 1994, kickboxing and especially muay thai are the most effective I have done so far. I'm surprised you do grappling (unless you meant clinch work) during kickboxing training, that's quite rare.
Krush
Kickboxing is a very good sport, far better than taekwondo no doubt about that. I've been moving around between karate, taekwondo, full-contact kickboxing and muay thai since I started in 1994, kickboxing and especially muay thai are the most effective I have done so far. I'm surprised you do grappling (unless you meant clinch work) during kickboxing training, that's quite rare.

Sometimes at kickboxing we did "self defence." Most of it was BS with rubber knives and guns etc. but one time we had matts out and we were paired up and just told to take each other down. Since I played sports all my life (including ice hockey) I have pretty good balance and find it easy to sprawl on people who aren't wrestlers. I knew a few wrestling techniques like posting, clubbing, running the pipe etc but overall I was only better because I was a bit stronger than the others. When I was actually on the ground I couldn't do much except hold people in side control. Once I went for an armbar but it was hella sloppy and slow so I got reversed, another time I caught someone in a guillotine choke but the instructer told me off because he said I would get kicked in the head if I did that in real life.

We sometimes did some MT style clinches or whatever but I wasn't very good at them.
damn nun, im still backing you though, i hope your a good wrestler, my betting credibility now depends on it! :P
Reply 73
burningnun
in a guillotine choke but the instructer told me off because he said I would get kicked in the head if I did that in real life.

We sometimes did some MT style clinches or whatever but I wasn't very good at them.

Guillotine looks like the sort of choke which doesn't work when your opponent is allowed to punch you in the balls (i.e. real life), but maybe I'm missing something
burningnun
lol, I'll upload the video of last time I had a "fight" (in May). See if that changes your mind :biggrin:

EDIT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN8M8XG5C9c

He told me to go easy on him so I thought that meant he was going easy on me too. He stopped the fight because my nose was bleeding and he doesn't like blood apparently.

The day before the fight I had this in my journal

but since I was using a 15 kg bar without realising until July those numbers are all +5 kg on what I actually lifted.

Oh man, you got your arse handed to you.

I don't know what you did wrong to be honest. He obviously has a reach advantage over you, but other than that, you should've landed in a few hits too, which you didn't do. :frown:
Apagg
Guillotine looks like the sort of choke which doesn't work when your opponent is allowed to punch you in the balls (i.e. real life), but maybe I'm missing something

If your putting a guillotine on someone untrained you can sweep yourself on top fairly simply, and if your talking about a real fight, you can crank it into a neck crank, and that just hurts too much to think of anything else to do.
SubGrappling
If your putting a guillotine on someone untrained you can sweep yourself on top fairly simply, and if your talking about a real fight, you can crank it into a neck crank, and that just hurts too much to think of anything else to do.

Would you suggest utilising holds in a no rules street fight though?
Misogynist
Would you suggest utilising holds in a no rules street fight though?

From my experience holds and locks aren't a particularly great idea.

1. One problem is that by putting someone in a hold/lock they normally get pretty angry, if they weren't already beforehand, which means the moment you let them go they're probably going to take a swing for you. In some ways knocking them out beforehand and/or breaking bones, etc makes things a bit simpler and safer for yourself unless you plan to detain them forever. Plus you need to be pretty strong and prepared to keep them in a fair amount of pain, otherwise someone who is strong and/or drunk can get out of most movements, sure, they will damage ligaments, tendons, muscles, etc, but they will still be able to fight back.

2. A hold works on one person, the moment you're facing more than one person (which is a harsh reality these days) they're out of the picture. If you try it you will almost certainly get pasted by his mate.

3. They're quite technical movements, to learn and employ, particularly in a stressful fight situation. Unless you're a highly experienced operator it is unlikely you're going to pull it off. You would be far better sticking to the basics (punches, knees, elbows) and master those. More fights are ended by strong strikes to the head than elaborate chokes, holds and locks.
ch0c0h01ic
From my experience holds and locks aren't a particularly great idea.

1. One problem is that by putting someone in a hold/lock they normally get pretty angry, if they weren't already beforehand, which means the moment you let them go they're probably going to take a swing for you. In some ways knocking them out beforehand and/or breaking bones, etc makes things a bit simpler and safer for yourself unless you plan to detain them forever.

2. A hold works on one person, the moment you're facing more than one person (which is a harsh reality these days) they're out of the picture. If you try it you will almost certainly get pasted by his mate.

3. They're quite technical movements, to learn and employ, particularly in a stressful fight situation. Unless you're a highly experienced operator it is unlikely you're going to pull it off. You would be far better sticking to the basics (punches, knees, elbows) and master those. More fights are ended by strong strikes to the head than elaborate chokes, holds and locks.

Oh, right. I'll take your word for it. I remember watching a Bas Rutten video in which he's stressing the importance of arm bars in street style fights, which is where I got the idea of using a hold in such a fight from.

What do you think of Krav Maga for self defence?
Reply 79
Every post in this thread is off-topic, except for the OP.

Latest