The Student Room Group

Stupid GCSE Geography Rivers coursework!

It is just so extremely boring.
Basically I literally write the same thing over and over and over again for all 5 strands. It is so boring; there is nothing new to say about the stupid river which I investigated.

Just a little rant - I am starting to think that I won't do well on my coursework for Geography; for example, most of it talks about one thing constantly!

According to the Bradshaw Model, the channel width is expected to increase moving downstream from the source.

Site Width in meters
Site 1 6.1
Site 2 2.7
Site 3 5.8
Site 4 5.9
Site 5 6.7
There is an abnormal decrease of 3.4m in the channel width between sites 2 and 3; approximately 7KM from source.
This anomaly is due to the abstraction of water from the Calder Intake to the Barnacre and Grizedale Lea reservoirs, grid-reference 5448. A reduce in water will make the channel width narrower. This is because less (lateral) erosion will occur, in-order to deepen the channel.

From sites 3 to 5, the channel gradually re-widens; rising significantly from 2.7m to 6.7m.
This increase happens, especially from site 4 to 5, because River Calder’s 34 tributaries are constantly adding water back to the river; thence increasing erosive processes, mainly hydraulic action and abrasion, widening the channel.

This can be linked to show an overall increase of the Discharge. There will be more water flowing over a wider; deeper channel, because it has greater surface area. The velocity increases because as one moves downstream from the source there will be less boulders; hence obstacles which initially slow down velocity in-spite of the river being at a greater slope from the source.

(3) Velocity:

According to the Bradshaw Model, the velocity of the water is expected to increase moving downstream from the source.

There is a significant decrease of 0.63m/sec of the velocity between sites 1 and 2.
The speed at site 1 is high because, prior to our arrival at the sites, there were heavy rain-falls (June 10th 2008, near Garstang). Because of this, and the steep gradient the upper-course has; there was a hefty gush of water which rained over a small surface-area at once, allowing water the ability to surpass the ridged wetted perimeter structure, containing large boulders which can slow the velocity.
Site Velocity (m/sec)
Site 1 0.67
Site 2 0.04
Site 3 0.11
Site 4 0.26
Site 5 0.19

However, this significant decrease in velocity between the two sites is caused by the abstraction of water between the two sites from the Calder Intake at to the Barnacre and Grizedale Lea reservoirs at grid-reference 5488. This makes the Channel Width narrower and the flow of water shallower.

There is an increase in the velocity between sites 2 and 3 because some of the water initially abstracted is pumped back into the river; additional water is also added as the river starts to meet its tributaries downstream. This increase continues until site 5, where the speed, from sites 4 to 5, decreases by 0.7 m/sec. This is an anomaly in-term of my hypothesis.
This anomaly can be caused by the confluence of the River Calder and the River Wyre, 300 metres from the A6 Catterall playing fields, at an angle. The river slows down to adjust to this attribute.
There is however an alternative possibility. At site 4 we measured inside the inner-bend of the meander; which flows faster than the outer-bend.

You see!
So did anyone else do this who did GCSE Geography; or am I going wrong? Also what grade analysis would this get, in your opinion. This is AQA B.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
But surely, as a self certified genius, you shouldn't be having any problems with GCSEs?
icancount23
But surely, as a self certified genius, you shouldn't be having any problems with GCSEs?

I am not; merely showing other GCSE students on here how it is done. :wink:
Reply 3
pah i hated geography coursework
mine was on CBDs >.<
good luck tho, sorry can offer no help
all i remember about geog rivers is that a meander is a bend in the river
:biggrin:
Ramadulla

This can be linked to show an overall increase of the Discharge. There will be more water flowing over a wider; deeper channel, because it has greater surface area.

For someone who claims that they're a genius, there are quite a lot of grammatical errors in that sentence.
electriic_ink
For someone who claims that they're a genius, there are quite a lot of grammatical errors in that sentence.

Shh.
It is just a first-draft.
:biggrin:
Reply 6
hmm that looks quite good. I'm in my A2 Year of Geography and your're using terms that I used in AS! you have included all the relevent info without waffling on and you have stats to show x y z...

I did OCR C and my CW was about a salt marsh - yawn! It was so boring! A Level geography is so much more interesting (and easier!)

Good Luck :smile:
Reply 7
Thats better than what I did for A-Level. A whole term on soils :cool:
Reply 8
Plagarised. :wink:
niyaaaah
Plagarised. :wink:

No, no, it's a genius.
Copying isn't what it does.
Copying of any sort.
i got an A* for this but got moved down to an A after remarking :frown:
TheBrightShadow
i got an A* for this but got moved down to an A after remarking :frown:

Must suck.
I got an A* on my CW but a High B in the exam. I was 1UMS from an A!
London271
I got an A* on my CW but a High B in the exam. I was 1UMS from an A!

Yeah, people tend to perform much better on the coursework element as, for the most part, it is teacher guided.

Ironically, I find it harder to get marks on coursework; it takes the piss. Exam is 'fun'. :biggrin:
Ramadulla
Yeah, people tend to perform much better on the coursework element as, for the most part, it is teacher guided.

Ironically, I find it harder to get marks on coursework; it takes the piss. Exam is 'fun'. :biggrin:

the c/wk is marked in sections, out of 6, i cant remember what each section is titled but one of the sections was originlity and the highest we could get was a 5/6 because the teacher said shed helped us, the only way you could possibly get 6 was if you went back and did some extra measurements!!
as if...
TheBrightShadow
the c/wk is marked in sections, out of 6, i cant remember what each section is titled but one of the sections was originlity and the highest we could get was a 5/6 because the teacher said shed helped us, the only way you could possibly get 6 was if you went back and did some extra measurements!!
as if...

You mean 4? :yep: (Hypothetically, you can still get A* if you manage near-full-marks on all the other strands.)

I know, AS IF! :rofl:

I didn't give a **** on the actual trip, just enjoyed myself.
Well, I am still getting full marks. As long as one knows the methods used etc. and actually reads up, it doesn't really matter.

But seriously. Did you have to go on your own, if you wanted to do your own 'original research'?
Ramadulla
You mean 4? :yep: (Hypothetically, you can still get A* if you manage near-full-marks on all the other strands.)

I know, AS IF! :rofl:

I didn't give a **** on the actual trip, just enjoyed myself.
Well, I am still getting full marks. As long as one knows the methods used etc. and actually reads up, it doesn't really matter.

But seriously. Did you have to go on your own, if you wanted to do your own 'original research'?

oh yeah of course you can get full marks, the place we went to visit was so far away from everyone that it was impossible to go there again, that was the annoying bit, but yeah thats what the teacher said also because she told us what measurements to take...WE COULDVE FIGURED IT OUT FOR OURSELVES!!!
i just done my Geography courseowork on rivers.....boring lol
I went to the River Misbourne, what about you??
stef.strawbs.123
i just done my Geography courseowork on rivers.....boring lol
I went to the River Misbourne, what about you??

River Calder near the River Wyre in Garstang.
It was ****. :biggrin:
Reply 19
lol :smile: For fun (im in year 11) we went with the year 10 geographers to the river they are studying (no idea what its called put its in the peak district). Anyway we laughed at them because we knew what they had to do and how boring it would be for them :P
The year 11's (me) have to do CBD which is also boring but its only a 5 min walk from the school.
So far i have full marks, nearly finished it and i have to say damn you gotta say the obvious things e.g. :
We have to explain how we measure various factors on the house we are surveying so in this example we are relating the number of windows to the CBD.
The house has 5 windows and is further away from the CBD
How?
We stood outside the house and observed how many windows there were. We cannot take into consideration the back windows as we cannot see them unless we get permission from the owner of the house.

Thats one of them done. Granted that it was fairly crude it would still get you a mark. That was just an example of what i have to do and damn it takes the piss :biggrin:

Quick Reply