Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Phospholipid Bilayer question

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Membranes are made up of a phospholipid bilayer. What is the use/function of:
    • cholesterol
    • glycoprotein
    • integral proteins embedded in the phospholipid bilayer

I'm revising for an exam in 2 days so please help
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cholesterol molecule straightens out hydrocarbon chains. Glycoprotein- for communication and transport (i think)

and proteins for transport- eg carrier proteins
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Glycoproteins branch off into the surrounding fluids and stabilise the cell.
    They are also used for intracellular messaging (Antigens specifically).

The embedded proteins could be carrier proteins / protein channels which are used in Active Transport in and out of the cell i.e. Na+ or they could be enzymes such as ATPase.

Cholesterol maintains mechanical stability.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cholesterol; to stabilise the bilayer as it would be too fluid without it.
    Glycoproteins; to act as receptors(I think)
    Integral Proteins: ion pores(to transport ions) or transport proteins(to carry glucose and amino acids)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol this thread proves how long ago it was since i did biology a-level!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hobnobs Galore)
    Lol this thread proves how long ago it was since i did biology a-level!

Lol. count yourself lucky; it's a nightmare.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    cholesterol stablises the membrane.
    glycoproteins are used as receptors i think.
    other proteins are used as carriers or to create channels to help transport ions/molecules across the membrane.

hope it helps a bit!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G O D I V A)
    Membranes are made up of a phospholipid bilayer. What is the use/function of:
    • cholesterol
    • glycoprotein
    • integral proteins embedded in the phospholipid bilayer

I'm revising for an exam in 2 days so please help
    I'll help myself helping you by doing this Interview tomorrow in Cambridge - might come up:

Cholesterol does maintain membrane fluidity - it increases fluidity at lower temperature, and vice versa at higher temperatures. The mechanism is that it acts as a wedge to seperate the phospholipid a little, thereby reducing Van Der Waals bonding and also increasing permeability to molecules.

Glycoprotein acts as cell recognition proteins - "self and non self" really.

Integral proteins -
    Carrier proteins - actively transport molecules across the membrane against a concentration gradient (e.g. Na - K pump).

Protein Channels - provides a hydrophilic channel through which water solutes can diffuse through, though the protein is specific [question to others: am I right in saying this is facilitated diffusion?]

Protein Receptors - a ligand attaches to the substrate of the protein on one end, and the other end sends a cascade signal inside the cell, expressing or inhibiting a certain gene from T&T a protein.

Cell Adhesion - certainly some attach to the cytoskeleton inside the cell, and attach to other cell membranes.

lol, wall of text there. Hope this helps!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2008
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.