The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

studentbug
which A-levels did you choose?

french, german, history, philosophy
Reply 21
Hippysnake
Economics- No, maths is vital to economics.
Business/ICT/Psychology- Utter fail. You've not taken any of these subjects at A-Level.

Im pretty sure i can do 'Ba economics' at uni. I've checked out soo many uni's prospectuses and they dont require A-level maths (all they want is at least gcse grade B in maths - even if that for some uni's). Moreovere, there are some 'average' uni's (ie. birmingham, loughbrough, notthingham) that allow me to do 'BSc economics' with the only requirement gcse maths grade A.

Also in regards to business/ICT, i was thinking degree's like 'business managment' that will accpect me according to prospectuses - however are these degree's soft?
Reply 22
IeuanF
Graduate schemes have no problem with degrees like history and english. Then there's the law conversion course if you wanted to become a lawyer. There are loads of opportunities out there.

hmmm....thanks for the info and re-assurance.

Much appreciated :smile:
Reply 23
Thanks for all the feedback and advise so far. Appreciated :smile:
studentbug
Im pretty sure i can do 'Ba economics' at uni. I've checked out soo many uni's prospectuses and they dont require A-level maths (all they want is at least gcse grade B in maths - even if that for some uni's). Moreovere, there are some 'average' uni's (ie. birmingham, loughbrough, notthingham) that allow me to do 'BSc economics' with the only requirement gcse maths grade A.

Also in regards to business/ICT, i was thinking degree's like 'business managment' that will accpect me according to prospectuses - however are these degree's soft?

Depends what you mean by soft. If by soft you mean less well recognised then duh hickey. If you want true recognition, you'll need to apply for a 'hardcore' course ('Hardcore' being based on your principals of soft) at a top Uni.
studentbug

For BSc Economics at Nottingham, you need an A grade in A-level maths, be on course for AAA / AABB, and have a good number of A*s for your GCES. The conclusion is that for Economics, Nottingham is distinctly above average.

I think your subject combination is good for Law, though.
Reply 26
ele01
yeah they are respectable...better then mine: philiosogy pscyhology, socaiology (a2) philisophy, english lit (as)

I find it ironic that 'English Lit' is the only one out of those listed which isn't mis-spelled/wholly fictitious.
Don't worry about your career too much. Just study a respectable subject that you enjoy and have a passion for, and you'll be able excel and find jobs.
Reply 28
Economist1
For BSc Economics at Nottingham, you need an A grade in A-level maths, be on course for AAA / AABB, and have a good number of A*s for your GCES. The conclusion is that for Economics, Nottingham is distinctly above average.

I think your subject combination is good for Law, though.

Wow i just checked the league tables and Nottingham is ranked 4th for law :eek: .

Realistically my chances of getting into nottingham are very slim for BA economics, let alone Law :o: .

Edit: loll i just checked your spoiler to find out you applied to do economics at Nottingham. Good luck :biggrin: (although you have some superb academic achievements :rolleyes: )
studentbug
Wow i just checked the league tables and Nottingham is ranked 4th for law :eek: .

Realistically my chances of getting into nottingham are very slim for economics, let alone Law :o: .

Edit: loll i just checked your spoiler to find out you applied to do economics at Nottingham. Good luck :biggrin: (although you have some superb academic achievements :rolleyes: )

Thanks - I got my offer already :biggrin:

Good luck to you.
Reply 30
It's very unlikely you'd get accepted at psychology without doing it or another science (probably biology) at a level. Many places specify 2 sciences.

Why not combine law with something else if you're not sure you want to do it as a pure degree. I'd say you could do most subjects that don't require a scientific background though.

Latest