The Student Room Group

The worst GCSE results you've heard of

What are the worst GCSE results you've heard of and them still going on to study medicine at university?

I was discussing it today with a biology classmate; he seems certain on having to have the 'generic x A/A*'s. I know things like this should be taken with a pinch of salt, but considering I don't have the best GCSE grades (see profile), it worries me that they may hold me back in the future.

Especially with other students in my year who have the academics, I can't help but feel inferior. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My friend at Warwick (postgrad, so they don't count as much, I would think... might be wrong) got something like 2As and 6Bs, then a string of Bs at A-level, then a 1st in BioMed to accompany his ridiculously good GAMSAT.

He is in his 3rd year there.
Just don't bother applying for Imperial...
tomster
What are the worst GCSE results you've heard of and them still going on to study medicine at university?

I was discussing it today with a biology classmate; he seems certain on having to have the 'generic x A/A*'s. I know things like this should be taken with a pinch of salt, but considering I don't have the best GCSE grades (see profile), it worries me that they may hold me back in the future.

Especially with other students in my year who have the academics, I can't help but feel inferior. :frown:

your gcse's alright to me :smile: considering going form a d/e student and getting those grades
Reply 4
why did you choose a-level geography over history? :frown:
A friend of a friend of a friend got in with 1A* and 9As into Newcastle.
Bubbles*de*Milo

Haha, yep - agree completely...
The competition is so intense there....It' would even be easier to apply to Oxford IMO
Grrr lol shouldnt institutes look more at A-LEVEL grades over anything... cos if I was to be treated by a doctor... I wouldn't mind even if they failed their GCSEs as long as they aced their A-levels with grade A's in required subjects! That's enough to suffice I reckon!!
Stricof
Haha, yep - agree completely...
The competition is so intense there....It' would even be easier to apply to Oxford IMO

HAHAHAH

I love your signature pic thing. :biggrin:
Reply 9
Your GCSE's are fine, and the fact that you were ill is something that they take into account. If you can 'exagerrate' a bit too, that'll help...

No worries bro.
I got into medicine with 5A 4B and I'm at UCL. Mate the don't just look at your GCSE results,Just don't apply to places that have a cut off marks for certain number of A*.
Bubbles*de*Milo

Imperial places large emphasis on GCSEs? Gulp.
As long as you ace your AS' i think you'll be fine. But if they do take note of your GCSE's im sure it shows that you are that passionate and dedicated about studying medicine that started working hard to reach your dreams and ambition. Providing you do extremely well in ur AS' and A Levels!
Good Luck
Reply 13
If you did your GCSEs in a year and previously had a long-term illness then doesn't that qualify for extenuating circumstances at most places and therefore your GCSEs will hold less weight anyway.
Either way I don't personally know anyone who's gotten into (or even applied to) Medicine but I am applying myself with A*ABBBBBBC at GCSE with no extenuating circumstances and I have 2 interviews so far (no offers but it's early days). So if you want to go for it do, just apply to the ones where you meet the requirements (most).
Reply 14
Speak to the medical schools.......
maze.e
I got into medicine with 5A 4B and I'm at UCL. Mate the don't just look at your GCSE results,Just don't apply to places that have a cut off marks for certain number of A*.

what was your BMAT?
Reply 16
tomster

Some universities are Bastards when it comes down to GCSE grades.

Here they are: (actually ill just list where you can apply)
UCL
UEA
BSMS
Bristol
Southampton
Leicester
Leeds
PMS

But you need to ensure you get AAAA at AS.

But you do have one thing to your advantage, you suffered a MAJOR set back in your education yet you came back into it and achieved good grades.

Also Get some kick ass voluntary and hospital work, start your placement soon so you can have over a year of experience in a hospital/caring setting.

But don't let anyone put you off, if its what you want to do IT CAN and WILL be done. As the saying goes "Where there is a will there is a way"

My grades are "nothing to be desired" as you once put it, but I'm still trying.
Reply 17
SilentGirl
what was your BMAT?

4.2, 4.4, 7.5

(Im Not a Stalker) I just used the search tool:shifty: :shifty:
Reply 18
Im a grad but I have 9Bs, 1C and a D. GCSE mean nothing, they are only an indication of who you were at 16 years old. If you havent matured at all since 16 and you have turd grades then tahts not great, but as long as you've moved forwards and upwards thats fine. A-levels are a little more important but even they are still only an indication of who you were at a certain age.
Reply 19
DrVas
Some universities are Bastards when it comes down to GCSE grades.

Here they are: (actually ill just list where you can apply)
UCL
UEA
BSMS
Bristol
Southampton
Leicester
Leeds
PMS

But you need to ensure you get AAAA at AS.

But you do have one thing to your advantage, you suffered a MAJOR set back in your education yet you came back into it and achieved good grades.

Also Get some kick ass voluntary and hospital work, start your placement soon so you can have over a year of experience in a hospital/caring setting.

But don't let anyone put you off, if its what you want to do IT CAN and WILL be done. As the saying goes "Where there is a will there is a way"

My grades are "nothing to be desired" as you once put it, but I'm still trying.

Cheers for that jj. Like you, I'll try till I suceed.

As for work experience, I've got plenty. Four weeks in various medical specialities and on my second month of doing voluntary work at my local hospital.

I'm sorry for the comment though. Bad day at school! :biggrin:

I'll add Sheffield too; I'm on their access to medicine course.

Latest

Trending

Trending