The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Contacting Leeds University RE: Rejection

I'm aware that this subject has come up several times, and I've looked around a bit, and garnered what I can from past threads.
However, they all seem to deal with the possibility of not getting the grades you wanted on results day and then calling up the university then and there.
I've applied to a Broadcast Journalism course at Leeds university. The requirements are BBB and I have BBC at A Level, and i'm hoping to start the course in 09.
I'm honestly passionate about Journalism, I've got work experience, I write my own fanzine, and in January i'm starting a ten week short course at the London College of Communication which deals with writing skills and research, and all this information is included in my personal statement.
My question is, should I be expecting to be rejected straight off (my opinon, would be, yes) and also, if that were to happen, as I've no "results day" to wait for, should I ring up Leeds as soon as they reject me, even though this could be as early as this week depending on when my application is processed?

I'm sorry if I'm being verbose and confusing, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Considering the level of work exp you have, if your PS is solid and that C wasnt in English or something, maybe they would cut you some slack, but no one knows, you have to ring them up and find out. Im quite unsure actually, it all depends on the strength of your app. As for your results day ring up thing, im unable to help there but id guess you should just ring them if you get rejected as you already have your grades.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
yeah it wasn't in english, i dont know if the university have access to the precise grades, but i was 5/6 odd marks off an A in English.
Its a great worry for me really, because I mean, I think I could go to a different university and be happy, but to me Leeds just seemed so right.
Any more views would be greatly appreciated.
I'm applying to Leeds uni for music,they state they want ABB so I rang them up as I have BBB and asked them if it was worth applying anyway or would they automatically reject me and she said to definetly apply anyway,I don't know if you've got more chance of getting in after dropping a grade or applying with one dropped grade though I suspect the first scenario. But I'd say its definetly worth it, ring up the admissions desk if you like they're really nice.
Reply 4
I think they would still consider you, especially if your referee could mention how close to an A you were in English!

But, if you were unsuccessful, I don't think you could be reconsidered as if 'on results day': reconsideration is for students who have been made an offer, but subsequently fail to meet it. Depending on the course, there could be opportunities through clearing, however.

Hope this helps.
Reply 5
Yeah, thanks for your help.
Its just very infuriating that essentially, there is no flexibility or negotiation involved. I understand that of course the universities only have grades to go by, but I think that I could be a better journalist that someone who's achieved better academically. Then again I'd probably be saying none of this if i'd achieved straight A's.
So is the general consensus that in my current situation, if they reject me, a no is a no, and theres no way i'd be able to persuade them otherwise?
This isnt quite the same as I met the minimum for one uni, but they said most applicants well exceed so I thought I was set back, but on talking to them the very nice lady said that i was infact at an advantage just because I already have the grades, so for them was a benefit! Just something to keep in mind :biggrin:
Reply 7
thanks very much:smile:
You've all been very helpful.

Any more views and opinions would be appreciated...
Reply 8
Ring up the department and ask. They may want you to re-sit a subject, but you never know :smile:.
Reply 9
i do television production and we share a lot of the same modules so i have a lot of friends on that course. I know not all of them met the required grades. Leeds tends to be quite lenient if people are passionate enough; so a strong personal statement and you've a brilliant chance... especially with the work experience!
x
Reply 10
i just got rejected, oh dear!
carrotdog
i just got rejected, oh dear!

:frown:
Reply 12
yeah, maybe I was being pointlessly hopeful, but i thought the fact that I was only one grade off coupled with work experience would mean they might be prepared to consider me, but I dont suppose there is anything i can do now :frown:

Latest