The Student Room Group

blood pressure

I have this question ehich shows a graph with blood pressure in the aorta during a contraction and relaxation.

The question sais how would you expect the pressure at point Y, the point of highestr pressure, to be different in the pulmonary artery and why?

I SAIS THE PRESSURE WOULD BE SLIGHTLY LOWER DUE TO THE FACT THAT THE RIGHT VENTRICLE WALL IS MADE UP OF THINNER MUSCLE THAN THE LEFT ONE, BUT THAT WAS JUST A GUESS...

damn caps lock... thanks!!
Reply 1
mchammer
I have this question ehich shows a graph with blood pressure in the aorta during a contraction and relaxation.

The question sais how would you expect the pressure at point Y, the point of highestr pressure, to be different in the pulmonary artery and why?

I SAIS THE PRESSURE WOULD BE SLIGHTLY LOWER DUE TO THE FACT THAT THE RIGHT VENTRICLE WALL IS MADE UP OF THINNER MUSCLE THAN THE LEFT ONE, BUT THAT WAS JUST A GUESS...

damn caps lock... thanks!!

Well your answer is right in a sense, but it's not worded particularly well :biggrin:

The left ventricle wall is thicker, with more muscle than the right ventricle wall. Therefore the left ventricle contracts with more force, meaning the blood pressure is higher when blood is leaving the left side of the heart than that of the right.

Would be my way of expressing it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending