The Student Room Group

Geeks and Autism??

Website
The industries in Silicon Valley attract computer geeks who probably find it difficult to mix socially. They are more likely to meet partners who also carry autistic genes, often meeting partners through their work. According to Dr Robin Hansen, if a man has four genes for autism, making him a computer wizard, and his partner has three genes for autism, the children may inherit a total of seven genes for the condition. The parents may show mild to moderate Asperger syndrome, but the effect in the children is cumulative, causing full-blown autism. In Britain, Dr Simon Baron-Cohen believes a similar effect is at work in Cambridge, known as "the Silicon Fen", another area which attract hi-tech workers. Recent surveys of primary schools in the Cambridge area found similar rates to those reported in the Silicon Valley. Note: the genes for the condition have not been fully identified so the figures of 4, 3 and 7 are for illustrative purposes only.

Website Here

Does this mean that, as the computer industry increases, there will be more cases of Autism? :confused: Random thought
Reply 1
saiyamana
Website Here

Does this mean that, as the computer industry increases, there will be more cases of Autism? :confused: Random thought

wiwarin mir has autism and is good with computers...maybe
Reply 2
hmm i doubt a majority of those interested/good/working in computing are autistic.
technik
hmm i doubt a majority of those interested/good/working in computing are autistic.

i dont know much about Biology, but cant people have recessive genes, which arent active in them but can be passed on?
Reply 4
I do not believe that the cases of will increase, well, not over the entire spectrum, rather in certain areas, like Silicon vally, more cases of autism of the higher end of the spetrum.
Reply 5
trigger
wiwarin mir has autism and is good with computers...maybe

I am not going to silcon vally, I am quite happy stuck in Medway for the moment.
Reply 6
wiwarin_mir
I am not going to silcon vally, I am quite happy stuck in Medway for the moment.

i know your not but that wasnt the question
Reply 7
trigger
i know your not but that wasnt the question

What was the question then?
Reply 8
Anyone else noticed the address of the site?
Reply 9
wiwarin_mir
What was the question then?

when the computer industry increases will there be more cases of autism
jmz635
Anyone else noticed the address of the site?

No but I do notice it know, thank you for pointing it out.
Reply 11
Have you all forgotten what you learnt in GCSE Biology??
Reply 12
trigger
when the computer industry increases will there be more cases of autism

unlikely in my opinion...
Reply 13
:rolleyes: bugger
ramroff
Have you all forgotten what you learnt in GCSE Biology??

Pretty much :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending