The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
an_end_has_a_start
what i have yet to understand is why, whenever someone says something horrible about another person, they are automatically jealous?

Can't whatever they've said just be their opinion?

The average person knows that saying something horrible to someone to their face will hurt them.

If you're not doing it out of jealousy/spite, then you're some sort of sadist who gets pleasure out of seeing people upset and lowering their self esteem.
Throwback
The average person knows that saying something horrible to someone to their face will hurt them.

If you're not doing it out of jealousy/spite, then you're some sort of sadist who gets pleasure out of seeing people upset and lowering their self esteem.

nah i completely disagree, for example if i call someone 'orange gob' because they wear too much makeup it does not mean i am jealous of them wearing far too much makeup nor do i aspire to be them
Reply 62
eenie_pod
Do you think I feel good seeing every magazine that scream how skinny people are 'repulsive', and 'unwomanly'?
Just because I'm skinny, does that make me any less of a woman than somebody who is a curvy size 14?
No.
QUOTE]

I agree totally with this! Although models are usually skinny, magazines really go for the whole 'men like curvy girls', 'curvy girls look like real women' approach and totally slag off being naturally skinny. I'm sick of hearing how I'm totally the opposite of what men supposedly want because I'm not short and curvy!
Reply 63
Blátönn
Size 4-6 at 5'9" must look bloody repulsive. Frankly below a 10 at any height is ugly. It's seen as you pandering into the popular cultural ideal; there has been a reaction against it lately amongst women, and men have always liked women with curves rather than protruding ribs.

So anyone who isn't an average size is ugly are they?
an_end_has_a_start
nah i completely disagree, for example if i call someone 'orange gob' because they wear too much makeup it does not mean i am jealous of them wearing far too much makeup nor do i aspire to be them

No but you're doing it to make them feel bad. Why else would you say it? As a statement? Because if its just a statement then what is the point in it?
Reply 65
an_end_has_a_start
there are more tactful ways of saying you're fat or you're thin.
for example you might want to tell someone who you think is too thin to 'eat some more' or maybe you could tell a 'fat' person to share their food? i dunno.
the only time i've been in this situation is when my friend goes on about dieting then i'll see her eating a chocolate bar, i then say "i thought you was on a diet" that usually makes her feel bad enough to give the rest of it away!

Except telling someone to 'eat some more' is NOT tactful at all, whereas telling a fat to share their food is. Maybe that person does eat, but likes to eat healthy and likes to exercise? There's nothing wrong with that at all. A more tactful way would be to suggest certain meals to them they could eat or something like that.

Again, its double standards - pussyfoot around the fat person but tell the thin person to 'eat some more'.
Reply 66
an_end_has_a_start

That would mean you enjoy upsetting people. Why not tell them tactfully you think they wear too much make up and would look nicer with less? Rather than calling them 'orange gob' :rolleyes:
Reply 67
Yuffie
I do no exercise and overeat so they'd just laugh at my hypocrisy. I'm size 10 though. I think it's less healthy to be a bit thin than a bit fat. You can be about a size 16 and in healthy BMI range. Size 6s are usually below the recommended BMI.

I don't think BMI is the be all and end all of it though. There are much more associated health consequences of being fat (like high cholestrol, breathing problems, etc) than there are of being skinny I would say.
Throwback
That would mean you enjoy upsetting people. Why not tell them tactfully you think they wear too much make up and would look nicer with less? Rather than calling them 'orange gob' :rolleyes:

well i can't say whether i enjoy upsetting people because fortunately i dont go round saying things like that...

but on the same rule what if someone calls someone fat? does that mean they're jealous?
Reply 69
an_end_has_a_start
well i can't say whether i enjoy upsetting people because fortunately i dont go round saying things like that...

but on the same rule what if someone calls someone fat? does that mean they're jealous?

Like I said, in my opinion people say horrible things to other people for two reasons:
1. Jealousy/envy
2. A enjoyment out of upsetting other people and lowering their self esteem.

I would say going around calling people fat falls into category 2. Going around making deragotory comments about thin people could fall into 1 or 2 because we know that a large portion of society does indeed strive to be slim.
I think it's really unfair how people assume that if you're slim, you either don't eat, constantly diet, or have an eating disorder. I'm naturally slim, always have been and I don't have anything wrong with my appetite either. It is in fact rather large.

Size can be deceptive. I'm slim but I have curves as well - I'm a size 6 on top and an 8/10 on the bottom. I don't think I look like a size 6 at all, and most people are shocked if they find out - not because they think it's too skinny, but because you really wouldn't think I was.

It also annoys me how when I say something like 'I'd like to tone up', or 'I really really unhealthy and need to go to the gym', they assume I think I'm fat and need to lose weight.

According to magazines, you can't win either way. You're damnned for being too skinny, or too fat. You're constantly being told that 'curvy girls are real women' and the next minute that the waif look is back in again. It's disgusting how there are 'trends' for weights and sizes - ie. the whole size-zero thing. You can't change your natural shape; yes you can become fatter or thinner, but some people just aren't desgined to be a certain shape which magazines always push in our faces.
Throwback
Like I said, in my opinion people say horrible things to other people for two reasons:
1. Jealousy/envy
2. A enjoyment out of upsetting other people and lowering their self esteem.

I would say going around calling people fat falls into category 2. Going around making deragotory comments about thin people could fall into 1 or 2 because we know that a large portion of society does indeed strive to be slim.

so whats all the kerfuffle about then??? someone saying your slim/thin is surely complementing you given the fact that you think that most of society want to be like you!!!
Reply 72
I'm 5'7 and a size 6

And I'm absolutly sick of people comparing themselves to me, or asking me what I eat (today i've had a pot noodle and a vegi pie) or telling me to eat more

I eat enough!

Fat metablisim I can't help, arrgh.
lucyhol1012
No but you're doing it to make them feel bad. Why else would you say it? As a statement? Because if its just a statement then what is the point in it?

to voice an opinion, ok if i was going to voice an opinion like that i wouldnt use those words, i'd probably say 'shes wearing far too much makeup'
Reply 74
My Dad constantly criticises me and my bro for being thin, but hes pretty overweight so he has no right to preach! :p:
Reply 75
Blátönn
Size 4-6 at 5'9" must look bloody repulsive. Frankly below a 10 at any height is ugly. It's seen as you pandering into the popular cultural ideal; there has been a reaction against it lately amongst women, and men have always liked women with curves rather than protruding ribs.

WTF?

I'm a 6-8, and that's just the way I'm built - can't help it. I don't think I look skinny. Don't make such silly comments.
Most people wouldn't tell an overweight person that they were fat so why does it make it okay to tell a slim person that they're skinny? It might seem like you're complimenting the person but I always feel very awkward when people point out my size (I'm 5ft 2" and a size 4/6) because immediately everyone starts debating whether I have an eating disorder or not.

The media has gone on and on about size bloody zero so much that anyone who is even verging on the slim side is immediately branded anorexic.
Reply 77
an_end_has_a_start
so whats all the kerfuffle about then??? someone saying your slim/thin is surely complementing you given the fact that you think that most of society want to be like you!!!

I thought we were talking about thin people here, not me? I'm a size 10 at the moment, certainly not thin.

And the 'kerfuffle' is about that fact that some idiots in our society seem to think they have some sort of right to go up to girls who are slim and be horrible to them, telling them to eat, that they look ill, that they are anorexic, etc etc. When you compare this sort of behaviour with the whole taboo that surrounds not upsetting overweight people, I think its fair to say that gross double standards exist, which I don't agree with.

"!!!"
Reply 78
Throwback
I don't think BMI is the be all and end all of it though. There are much more associated health consequences of being fat (like high cholestrol, breathing problems, etc) than there are of being skinny I would say.

Stopping periods, losing hair and having potassium deficiency in the heart are worse, I'd wager.
Reply 79
Yuffie
Stopping periods, losing hair and having potassium deficiency in the heart are worse, I'd wager.

Well you wouldn't get these sort of symptoms at a size 6 would you, or like you said, if you were "a bit too thin". If we're talking about severely underweight, then yes. In contrast, the problems I suggested like high cholestrol and breathing problems can occur in people who aren't morbidly obese, so I'm not talking about extremes.

You seemed to be arguing that it would be more healthy to be a size 16 than a size 6, you weren't talking about the extremes of the scale.

Latest