The Student Room Group
Think you should go for longer than two weeks to be fair! Sooooo much culture and history!
Reply 2
I certainly will end up there, at least for a time, climbing. But no where near the kleenex trails.
Reply 3
I'm going for a month in April - why go with a company that'll take all your money? DIY to get a better experience of the country, and a cheaper one.
AWZC
I'm going for a month in April - why go with a company that'll tae all your money? DIY to get a better experience of the country, and a cheaper one.

this dude speaks the gospel!

never ever ever ever ever pay for volunteering and the like. who the heck has the nerve to charge to help the poor and needy? scum.
Reply 5
I went trekking in the Himalayas a couple of years ago, and it's a beautiful place. Aside from the mountains, Pokhara is s great little place, and of course Kathmandu! As safety goes, I wouldn't really recommend going alone. Also, I wouldn't pay some company - find some charity organisations on the net and speak directly to them; there are plenty out there.
They charge you £649 for 2 weeks!! Thats mental... theres no way you'd spend anything near that in two months if you did it independently.

I've not been to Nepal (it's on my list for next year depending on what happens in the Tibet region...) so I can't comment on the country, but whatever you do, volunteer for longer than two weeks. You'd be leaving before you'd even started if you do it for a fortnight, and the only person you'd be helping is yourself. Its not benefical for the charities to get someone for a fortnight at a time, especially if you're dealing with social development. Constant change and disruption can be sometimes as bad as no help at all. All you'd be doing in two weeks is lining the pockets of real gap and getting some cute photos to take back home with you. Not a good volunteering experience!

There is someone on the gap year forums who has/is volunteering with a charity in Nepal. They've got direct links etc and sound pretty decent... take a look at the recent posts on here, you'll find it easily enough.
Reply 7
My bro recently went to Nepal and loved it, his pictures are amazing!

If you are just looking to do a trek / volunteering etc then just turn up, there are hundreds of local tour offices which are really really cheap!!!
Reply 8
Is it really not worth going with one of these companies? I ask from the perspective of someone who isn't doing the whole backpacking round the world thing, and I do worry about these things. I hate to stereotype a country like Nepal, but is it safe to just turn up somewhere like that? I also worry that since I only have two weeks to spare, I might end up wasting time organising things that would otherwise have been organised beforehand if I had gone with a company.
Reply 9
oxymoronic
They charge you £649 for 2 weeks!! Thats mental... theres no way you'd spend anything near that in two months if you did it independently.

I've not been to Nepal (it's on my list for next year depending on what happens in the Tibet region...) so I can't comment on the country, but whatever you do, volunteer for longer than two weeks. You'd be leaving before you'd even started if you do it for a fortnight, and the only person you'd be helping is yourself. Its not benefical for the charities to get someone for a fortnight at a time, especially if you're dealing with social development. Constant change and disruption can be sometimes as bad as no help at all. All you'd be doing in two weeks is lining the pockets of real gap and getting some cute photos to take back home with you. Not a good volunteering experience!

There is someone on the gap year forums who has/is volunteering with a charity in Nepal. They've got direct links etc and sound pretty decent... take a look at the recent posts on here, you'll find it easily enough.

I wish I could do more than two weeks, but I'm actually still going to be in Sixth Form at the time, so unless I go in the summer holidays (which I think is monsoon season) I'll end up missing too much school. I know it's a bit of a strange situation, but I'm basically doing Year 14, but I'll only be studying one or two subjects and therefore missing two weeks is okay, but I can't see myself missing more than that.

Okay, thanks for the information! :biggrin:
I went Nepal for 6 weeks last summer and did volunteer work at a school there.. personally i would say you should organise your trip before you go because it can take a few weeks before they allow you to actually do the volunteer work
EmergingButterfly
I went Nepal for 6 weeks last summer and did volunteer work at a school there.. personally i would say you should organise your trip before you go because it can take a few weeks before they allow you to actually do the volunteer work

Okay, that's interesting. What was it like in the summer? Did you have a good time volunteering there?
summer is meant to be monsoon season but the weather wasn't to bad, it's quite cold in the mornings and evenings but during the day the temperatures were quite high. I've been nepal in the winter and spring months aswell but to be honest with you i didn't really notice much difference in the weather. The actual volunteer work was so much fun.. what type of volunteering were you planning on doing?
SylverStrike
I wish I could do more than two weeks, but I'm actually still going to be in Sixth Form at the time, so unless I go in the summer holidays (which I think is monsoon season) I'll end up missing too much school. I know it's a bit of a strange situation, but I'm basically doing Year 14, but I'll only be studying one or two subjects and therefore missing two weeks is okay, but I can't see myself missing more than that.

Okay, thanks for the information! :biggrin:

Probably a stupid question- but why don't you go somewhere closer and cheaper for your two weeks then go to Nepal later in your life for a prolonged period of time? such as during your university holidays. Monsoon is June through to August, but you'd get May to October off from uni. It seems like a hell of a lot of money to spend on two weeks (does the 649 even include flights?) when you could have an equally as good volunteering expereince somewhere else, then save the money you'd be spending on Nepal now to spend another time when you've got more time to dedicate to the country. Going so far for such a short period of time seems such a waste- of money, and also, you won't see the country, culture and people for who they are which is the beauty of travelling to countries such as here. There are plenty of volunteering oppertunities within Europe where you'd be happily taken on for two weeks and equally as appricated as you would be in Nepal.
oxymoronic
Probably a stupid question- but why don't you go somewhere closer and cheaper for your two weeks then go to Nepal later in your life for a prolonged period of time? such as during your university holidays. Monsoon is June through to August, but you'd get May to October off from uni. It seems like a hell of a lot of money to spend on two weeks (does the 649 even include flights?) when you could have an equally as good volunteering expereince somewhere else, then save the money you'd be spending on Nepal now to spend another time when you've got more time to dedicate to the country. Going so far for such a short period of time seems such a waste- of money, and also, you won't see the country, culture and people for who they are which is the beauty of travelling to countries such as here. There are plenty of volunteering oppertunities within Europe where you'd be happily taken on for two weeks and equally as appricated as you would be in Nepal.

I guess the reason I chose somewhere like Nepal is because I wanted to go somewhere different (although I know that sounds really selfish)- I've seen a lot of Europe, and really wanted to experience a completely different culture whilst trying to make a difference, albeit a small one.

I do see what you mean, about two weeks for somewhere so far away being a bit silly. I know I want to travel in my so-called 'gap year', but I can't do a really long period of time away. Travelling during uni sounds like a good idea, but by that point, I'd obviously already be at uni, meaning that I couldn't really prove to the unis that I'm applying to next year that my gap year was worth it (travelling as well as finishing one or two A-levels off validates taking a year out, I think).

Sorry to be so long-winded! I'll admit, the idea of going to Nepal is a bit of a random one, but that's the sort of place I'd like to go in my gap year. Any other suggestions for destinations with a very different culture of our own, but that are perhaps a bit closer to home, would be much appreciated. As you can probably tell, I've only really started thinking about the travel that I want to do in my gap year. :p:
What about somewhere within Eastern Europe such as Romania, or even Turkey? They are both strikingly different cultures to the UK, especially once you get out of the cities and into the countryside. Turkey is really interesting as a Muslim country too. I'd say Russia too, but the visa problems for there might be too difficult as I don't know how you'd go about getting a volunteer visa.

I totally understand what you're saying, as Nepal is a lot more exotic and exciting than somewhere in Europe (and I don't know where you've been in Europe) but once you get into the poorer parts of this continent, and into the backs of beyond so to speak, the cultural differences and ways of life are obvious. You don't need to go far to experience that. Even within the UK there is a completely different way of life in London to on a tiny island community in the Outer Hebridies, for example.

As you've said, you need to warrant this year off to universities when doing your UCAS. However, I don't think they would really care if you'd spent 2 weeks volunteering in Nepal or 2 weeks volunteering elsewhere - volunteer work is volunteer work.

Although I haven't been to Nepal, I have been to that region of the world (I was in Mongolia then China for 4 months this summer) and trust me, it's beautiful. You owe yourself more than 2 weeks there. I would hate to see someone go all that way then only touch the surface of such a facinating cultural world (Mongolians 'share' with Nepal in terms of religion, culture, ideology etc) these countries are so surreal and so different that you have to get used to being there, and let yourself be absorbed by the people and communities you are met with. This takes months, and two weeks wouldn't do the area any justice and I feel you'd leave simply regretting that you can't experience more of it. Obviously you always think that when travelling, and you always say 'well I'll come back so its okay' but I certainly think that travel across the globe shouldn't be entered into lightly, to get anything out of it you have to commit for a longer period. Otherwise you may as well not bother going, as you won't really learn anything in 2 weeks. I'm going back to Mongolia next summer as I've fallen in love with the country, I haven't seen enough even after serval months of living and working there. I speak basic Mongolian too, which is also a thing you'd miss out on only being there for 2 weeks. I think you'd be much wiser to go in a years time after first year of university, then you've got around 4/5 months to play with so you can actually make a difference volunteering somewhere, as well as making a difference to your own life and perspective.

Sorry... I'm an anthropology student - extended exposure/experience to other cultures is my academic life as well as deep in my travelling obsession! The two go hand in hand in my life.
Russia is a dream of mine, but you're right, getting a visa is complicated and I'm not sure it's worth it for a relatively short trip. Turkey sounds interesting, though I wouldn't have immediately thought of volunteering there- shows how little I know about the place! But I'll definitely consider some other options before committing to anything.

I'm so jealous of all the travelling you've done! It sounds like you've had an amazing time. Mongolia, what a place to visit! I see what you mean, in that two weeks just isn't enough time to immerse oneself into a totally different culture. I guess I'm just a bit stuck right now- on the one hand, I know I love travelling and I'm desperate to see exotic and different places, but on the other hand, I have a time limit and I don't want to go to the wrong place and end up regretting it (or regretting not spending longer there).

My other worry is that, if I were travel after my first year of uni, say, by that point, I'll probably be worrying more than ever about money. How much did you spend in China and Mongolia, and for how long? Is spending three or four months somewhere like that going to be very expensive?

Haha, that makes sense, you being an anthropology student! Well, thanks for all the help and advice, it's much appreciated.
Reply 17
Hey guys, if you want to volunteer in Nepal, this charity still makes you pay, but you only pay them for training and small administration costs. The money all goes into the charity, nobody gets rich off it. I agree that you shouldn't pay for volunteer work, but it seems fair enough to pay for your own training if it's a charity doing it. Hands for Help have some good programs too, I'm really tempted by the teaching English to Buddhist monks one.
Reply 18
It's already been said, but Real Gap have a **** reputation, they're middle men and will fleece you. Get in touch with the organisation yourself.

Check:
www.idealist.org
Loads of info on volunteering and loads of listings for placements where you wont have to pay to work..

If you've got the time, you could easily stretch out a £1k-£2k in Nepal and India and stay for 2-4 months. Loads of cheap flights at the moment to Delhi, last time I looked the best offer was with Virgin for £330 ish, BA are also doing stupid prices to Mumbai. Emirates have some great deals right now too, especially to China.

Latest