The Student Room Group

Oz budget

I'm going to Fiji for 12 weeks in April and afterwards I want to travel up the east coast of Australia. Melbourne to Cairns. I'll be able to stop off at a relatives in melbourne and a friend's in Brisbane. I really don't know how to work out a budget for the whole thing though. I'm looking at going for 2 months. I've looked at so many websites, but they don't really help me in working out how much it'll actually cost.

Would I be able to do it on £2,500, or would that be pushing it?

Oh, and I also really fancy comping at some point? Are there any camp sites especially for travellers? Anyone have any experience of camping in Australia?
Reply 1
£2,500 will be more than enough!

Aus is quite expensive, similar to England but a little cheaper. Hostels cost around £10 per night (where most of your money will go), buses are quite cheap but it depends what you want to do cost / activity wise. If you cook your own food in the hostels you'll save a fortune.

If you like camping, do the three day Mulgas tour of Ayers Rock - its amazing!!! One of the best things I've ever done even though its in the middle of knowhere :smile: There are campsites but they are usually for people travelling in camper vans etc esp on the Eastcoast which is just nuts (full of drunk travellers)

Have a great trip, its a lot different and new compared to England!

Latest