The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

SirScally
Hiya everyone!

Which would you all regard as being 'better' for law, in terms of prestige, facilities and (perhaps most importantly) employment prospects for law?

Just in case you are all wondering, I'm just trying to gauge opinions for my insurance choice, which I am sure everyone would say should be KCL, but I'm just trying to consider all options!! :smile:

Well, in my biased opinion, EITHER of them are better than Selwyn!
kingslaw
I'd say SOAS, though they more or less come in the same league in my mind.

Ditto, though SOAS generally comes considerably higher in the rankings overall and (i think) for Law specifically. Neither will be competing with KCL/UCL/LSE for the city firms any time soon.
an Siarach
Neither will be competing with KCL/UCL/LSE for the city firms any time soon.

Perhaps but the time it takes for law students to become qualified lawyers, there may well be a change of opinion by then.
Reply 23
NDGAARONDI
Perhaps but the time it takes for law students to become qualified lawyers, there may well be a change of opinion by then.

Hmmm...reputations aren't something that change frequently. SOAS/QM or UCL/KCL/LSE would have to do something pretty major for the legal industries perception of them to change substantially in such a short space of time.
I wouldn't go to SOAS if my life depended on it. That's probably purely personal though.
NDGAARONDI

If anything, the next tenyears will- I think- see a sharp increase in snobbery regarding university attended. The last standard criteria- AAA at A Level- means so little now it is unbelievable, and in four years MC firms very realistically could have thousands more applicants with AAA. Hence, the university attended will invariably become a deselection tool.
tomcoolinguk
If anything, the next tenyears will- I think- see a sharp increase in snobbery regarding university attended. The last standard criteria- AAA at A Level- means so little now it is unbelievable, and in four years MC firms very realistically could have thousands more applicants with AAA. Hence, the university attended will invariably become a deselection tool.

I really don't feel that will be the case; the top MC firms aren't as snobbish to plainly ignore talent simply on the basis of which university someone attended. They will be aware that the volumes of AAA applicants dictate that university admissions will become clogged and ineffective; and increasingly down to luck and that admissions tutors really don't have enough information to effectively select.

On the other hand, I personally believe that degree performance will become the primary factor in determining selection; I predict there will be a day where the top MC firms will only interview those with firsts; simply because they have that luxury and only want the best applicants.
Reply 27
Lottelo
I really don't feel that will be the case; the top MC firms aren't as snobbish to plainly ignore talent simply on the basis of which university someone attended. They will be aware that the volumes of AAA applicants dictate that university admissions will become clogged and ineffective; and increasingly down to luck and that admissions tutors really don't have enough information to effectively select.

On the other hand, I personally believe that degree performance will become the primary factor in determining selection; I predict there will be a day where the top MC firms will only interview those with firsts; simply because they have that luxury and only want the best applicants.

Exactly. If anything, the fact that everyone applying for the top law schools is getting AAA will make the university you went to less important because, as it was said, firms will realise that entrance to such law schools is a lottery.

However, I don't think that the day MC firms only ask for firsts will come any day soon. Firstly, if they wanted, they could do so now. There are enough people getting firsts to fill up all the vacancies at MC firms. Secondly, just because the standards to get into law school are increasing, it doesn't mean that more people are getting frsts.
Reply 28
whats wrong with soas - johnathan H - you said you wouldn't go there...........just wondering why you say that?
Reply 29
an Siarach
Ditto, though SOAS generally comes considerably higher in the rankings overall and (i think) for Law specifically. Neither will be competing with KCL/UCL/LSE for the city firms any time soon.

I totally agree :wink: These universities, despite the competition between them and the numerous slagging matches students have about which is better, are always going to be regarded as the elite because of their reputation.
tomcoolinguk

So much for the government's anti-elitist image :rolleyes:
Reply 31
NDGAARONDI

But think how fantastic it would be to blag your way in from a rubbish Uni..

I want to be a professional Underdog when I grow up. :smile:

There's always an exception.
Reply 32
^^^ Dreama - lol
NDGAARONDI

You see that's the hilarious thing- the inaction of 'anti-elists' actually stimulates a rise in elitism. Take Oxbridge, where academic qualifications on their own are rarely enough to secure admission. This instantly favours those from backgrounds where money is available for such activities. Take music: it is practically impossible to reach top level instremental standard without private tuition, which is of course fairly expensive.

And people might think I'm wrong with what I'm saying, but having spoke to many corporate lawyers they think it is almost certainly going to happen- many firms have online application sifting processes which eliminate those applicants from particular universities. As access initiatives have become more and more prominent, the chances of 'hidden gems' being found at lower ranked univeristies is declining all the time.
NDGAARONDI

It takes decades to forge or lose reputations so a fair bit longer than that i think.
Reply 35
tomcoolinguk
You see that's the hilarious thing- the inaction of 'anti-elists' actually stimulates a rise in elitism. Take Oxbridge, where academic qualifications on their own are rarely enough to secure admission. This instantly favours those from backgrounds where money is available for such activities. Take music: it is practically impossible to reach top level instremental standard without private tuition, which is of course fairly expensive.

And people might think I'm wrong with what I'm saying, but having spoke to many corporate lawyers they think it is almost certainly going to happen- many firms have online application sifting processes which eliminate those applicants from particular universities. As access initiatives have become more and more prominent, the chances of 'hidden gems' being found at lower ranked univeristies is declining all the time.

I'm afraid that must be rubbish. Even at the top chamber sets (which are even more competitive than the big city firms), and any solicitor firm worth working for, there is always an example of someone who has come from a crappy uni to working in a lucrative seat. If firms have this supposed screening test, there'd be no chance whatsoever of this happening as their application wouldn't see the light of day.
kingslaw
I'm afraid that must be rubbish. Even at the top chamber sets (which are even more competitive than the big city firms), and any solicitor firm worth working for, there is always an example of someone who has come from a crappy uni to working in a lucrative seat. If firms have this supposed screening test, there'd be no chance whatsoever of this happening as their application wouldn't see the light of day.

Fine.... but there is a wealth of evidence that this is rarely the case.
kingslaw

Fine.... but in the future I think this will be less likely. And 'token' is a choice way of describing how these people from lower universities are. There is a lot of evidence that screening does take place. People might hate it, but there is a heirarchy and it would be foolish to ignore this.
an Siarach
It takes decades to forge or lose reputations so a fair bit longer than that i think.

Perhaps. Apparently Warwick never used to be such a great university as it is portrayed today.
NDGAARONDI
Perhaps. Apparently Warwick never used to be such a great university as it is portrayed today.

Well its only 40 odd years old so its progress and current status is hugely impressive and ditto York and others. Given time, assuming theres no huge loss of quality, id expect Warwick to firmly establish its international credentials alongside the older universities.

Latest

Trending

Trending