Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Evolution Thread

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some significant changes are being made to D&D Religion. To avoid the subforum being cluttered up with threads about evolutionary theory, we have decided to create this single thread. All other threads about evolution will be locked and posters will be referred to this thread. For clarity, this is for discussion about whether evolution is true and what implications it has for religions.

The usual rules apply:

Don't spam.
    Don't troll.
    Don't insult.

Thank you
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Evolution seems to be one of those things that the public have lots of misconceptions about, and have difficulty drawing the line between fact, theory and hypothesis.

Most people I've talked to don't actually know the definion of the word "theory" in the context of "theory of evolution".

And it is percieved to conflict with religion a lot more than it actually does.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    not true.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmm yeah i think most people don't actually understand the theory of evolution, ive just done a module on it and its soo interesting, i really want to read some more into it cause we had a somewhat whirlwind tour as it was, but i think theres loads of misconceptions between what its seen to be and what it really is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a pointless discussion, here's why:

The atheist: This person will never believe in a God, as far as they are concerned there is no chance of convincing them there is a God, the theory of Evolution is just one more trick up their sleeve, but even if this theory did not exist they would find other ways to argue(albeit against a brick wall)

The theist: This person wil always find a way around any kind of argument against their God, in the case of evolution, God is creative and all knowing, God knows and makes mankind evolve into better species blah, de blah, or words to that effect. The theist will never be convinced by things like this that there is no God, any argument also is like arguing with a brick wall.

The agnostic: They will not clarify their position, and use this kind of thing to back them up, put forward an argument to these people, they will nod, they will smile, they will acknowledge the comments but it will just go straight out the other ear.

I am atheist myself, I don't try to argue my position, I respect other peoples views, I don't particularly think the theory of evolution does have a huge impact on religion, just the more traditional fundamentalist parts of it. the only times i become involved is to attack an argument really, rather than to put my own forwards.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The only way to doubt the veracity of evolutionary theory is to doubt the existence of an objective reality.

</thread>
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PremierPotters)
    The agnostic: They will not clarify their position, and use this kind of thing to back them up, put forward an argument to these people, they will nod, they will smile, they will acknowledge the comments but it will just go straight out the other ear.
    That's nonsense. The positions you listed are not mutually exclusive: I myself am an agnostic atheist.

Learn what agnosticism actually refers to.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:

The atheist: This person will never believe in a God, as far as they are concerned there is no chance of convincing them there is a God, the theory of Evolution is just one more trick up their sleeve, but even if this theory did not exist they would find other ways to argue(albeit against a brick wall)

The theist: This person wil always find a way around any kind of argument against their God, in the case of evolution, God is creative and all knowing, God knows and makes manking evolve into better species blah, de blah, or words to that effect. The theist will never be convinced byt hings like this that there is no God, any argument also is like arguing with a brick wall.

I am atheist myself, I don't try to argue my position, I respect other peoples views, I don't particularly think the theory of evolution does have a huge impact on religion, just the more traditional fundamentalist parts of it. the only times i become involve dis to attack an argument really, rather than to put my own forwards.
    QFT.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

The theist: This person wil always find a way around any kind of argument against their God, in the case of evolution, God is creative and all knowing, God knows and makes manking evolve into better species blah, de blah, or words to that effect. The theist will never be convinced byt hings like this that there is no God, any argument also is like arguing with a brick wall.

I am atheist myself, I don't try to argue my position, I respect other peoples views, I don't particularly think the theory of evolution does have a huge impact on religion, just the more traditional fundamentalist parts of it. the only times i become involve dis to attack an argument really, rather than to put my own forwards.
    You've just summed up all threads in this forum...
    its a sucky place to be
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oogamy)
    That's nonsense. The positions you listed are not mutually exclusive: I myself am an agnostic atheist.

Learn what agnosticism actually refers to.

Maybe simplified and a generalisation, but I think you'll find most agnostics will be like this, simply because they lack intelligence(not meant in an insulting way, by this I mean about religion etc), or they have a religious upbringing and are confused.

I know quite well what agnosticism refers to.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know quite well what agnosticism refers to.
    I'll take your word for it.

Self-proclaimed agnostics often don't have clue what it means, and use it as a less 'severe' (whatever the hell that means) alternative to 'atheist'.

That's the kind of thing that keeps me up at night, as it seems to be doing now.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Self-proclaimed agnostics often don't have clue what it means, and use it as a less 'severe' (whatever the hell that means) alternative to 'atheist'.

That's the kind of thing that keeps me up at night, as it seems to be doing now.

Now you basically just regurgitated my previous post :p:

To be honest i don't think it is a less severe alternative to atheism, atheism is readily accepted in our society, the USA is a different story though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Before reading this thread read the "evolution truth or lie thread" for an interesting debate on evolution

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=698843

Then PM if you want to know why this thread was actually set up
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ants

Poster below says pandas, ok so where did the perfectly formed reproductive systems emerge from for each species, did they evolve, is that possible

Where did the genders come from, did they evolve?

Are they in all species, yes!

Can THAT evolve
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roots)
    Ants
    Pandas
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarahl89)
    Hmm yeah i think most people don't actually understand the theory of evolution, ive just done a module on it and its soo interesting, i really want to read some more into it cause we had a somewhat whirlwind tour as it was, but i think theres loads of misconceptions between what its seen to be and what it really is.
    Tell me

a) What it is seen to be?

b) What it really is?

Amuse me
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You still havnt answered my question roots on why humans have genes to make tails, chicken genes to make teeth and whales genes to make legs...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Youre a funny guy

1/ You could do it yourself, which i was hoping you would, but a spreader of lies is a spreader of lies, he/she has to keep it up
    2/ Youre creating an impression
    3/ Thats the last thing youre holding onto, "you" personally when in the evolution truth or lie thread your evolution has been destroyed
    4/ Say for example if i didnt or even couldnt! answer that question wouldnt you be relieved
    5/ Doesnt that show you how blind you are, ive gone through all the junk of evolution and youre still talking about that
    6/ If i did what would you do?????????

For a detailed history go here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=698843
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The most advanced species advanced from an "ape"

Is the ape the second most advanced species?

Another simple idea that if really understood and thought about debunks evolution
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Ffs, I use the term agnostic because it is entirely illogical to insist in no God, I left religion to escape that kind of arrogant determination that one must be correct. We are huuman - we know eff all in relation to the universe, its time we acknowledge it and are happy in the knowledge that it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 14, 2014
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.