Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Evolution Thread

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to butt in like this, but why the hell is a thread about evolution in the religion subforum?
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Sorry to butt in like this, but why the hell is a thread about evolution in the religion subforum?
    To quote myself from earlier in the week;

(Original post by Gofre)
    This point comes up quite often, but the fact of the matter remains that the only time evolution is ever contested is in a religious context. Putting it in a biology centric subforum would be utterly redundant. At least here people who do have doubts (or flat-out reject it) can post their queries (Or supposed evidences) and have them addressed.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    To quote myself from earlier in the week;
    Making a thread to argue against religion just seems pretty dumb to me sorry
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Making a thread to argue against religion just seems pretty dumb to me sorry
    I would agree, the idea that anyone can reject evolution boggles my mind. However such people exist, and as such a place for discourse is handy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You people are all so ignorant. Look at a pencil. Did it evolve? No. It was made by men.

Look at a cabbage. Did it evolve? No. It was made by God.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronald_mcdonald)
    You people are all so ignorant. Look at a pencil. Did it evolve? No. It was made by men.

There's a factory in the lake district where they make pencils. I went there on a school trip when I was about 8. So I know pencils were made by man because I've seen it; if I hadn't seen it myself I could find someone who had, I could look up the industrial processes for making pencils, I could even make my own pencil. We know that pencils are made by people from experience.

So what experience have you had which tells you cabbages were made by your god?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmmpie)
    There's a factory in the lake district where they make pencils. I went there on a school trip when I was about 8. So I know pencils were made by man because I've seen it; if I hadn't seen it myself I could find someone who had, I could look up the industrial processes for making pencils, I could even make my own pencil. We know that pencils are made by people from experience.

So what experience have you had which tells you cabbages were made by your god?
    Cabbages make you fart.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cabbages make you fart.
    Well that's a novel argument...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Can't tell if trolling...
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Evolution is immense.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:

Trolls are tiresome.

The combination of truism and falsism just makes this a stupendously weak argument.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    The irony of this post being that the cabbage appeared due to selective breeding of the wild mustard plant over hundreds of years. Evolution operates via a very similar mechanism, only that breeding is selected naturally rather than by human influence.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pyramidologist)
    From what i can tell so far (i've only read about half) evolution was set in motion by a designer, and the work challenges some aspects of random mutation. Here is what Behe clarifies in an interview -

Its called the ''edge'' of evolution because as Behe shows, the evidence can only be taken so far back. It becomes entirely left open to the equal possibility of a designer, alongside metaphysical naturalism (atheism).
    What evidence does he provide for this?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pyramidologist)
    From what i can tell so far (i've only read about half) evolution was set in motion by a designer, and the work challenges some aspects of random mutation. Here is what Behe clarifies in an interview -
    Designer? Gucci, Ralph Lauren?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For the Atheists, those who believe in Science.
    How do you explain the felling of Hurt, Love, Anger. Especially, in regards to LOVE. The most powerful emotion known to Mankind.

You cannot explain the feeling of Raw Human emotion. It is because one has a Soul
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Coupling behaviour useful for when raising a child. It evolved when men & women found mutual benefit in becoming monogamous. Sharing resources with each other mutually to give the best environment for a child to grow. Explain'd
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think all atheists disregard the idea of a 'soul'
    Religion may think it comes from a God, atheists just may think otherwise!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakebrown)
    I don't think all atheists disregard the idea of a 'soul'
    Religion may think it comes from a God, atheists just may think otherwise!
    Well, Science cannot prove emotional joy or pain. The most they have come up with = Love is a 'Chemical reaction' in the brain.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aqquaintance_sport)
    How do you explain the felling of Hurt, Love, Anger. Especially, in regards to LOVE. The most powerful emotion known to Mankind.

You cannot explain the feeling of Raw Human emotion. It is because one has a Soul
    Don't you know already....?

It all just is!
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aqquaintance_sport)

Please don't use the phrase "evolutionist", it's annoying. Unless you're also going to call me a gravitationalist, microorganismist, geneticist, or any other accepted scientific principle.

But yeah, love instills an incentive to breed selectively, anger encourages self preservation and defence of one's property or members of a social group.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 2, 2014
New on TSR

What is sixth form like?

Share your story!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.