Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

The Evolution Thread

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpharius)
    Idiot. You are just trolling.

The proof has been given throughout this thread. Look them up.
    You know what, I think it'll be easier if you just tell me.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishy786)
    I did.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    LOL.

Just because they have the word "theory" in their term, it does not mean that those theories were not proven.

LOL
    You're making criticisms of evolution based entirely on the fact that it's a theory. So I thought I'd add some perspective.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Look at my signature. See the picture?

Click it. Watch the whole playlist. It explains it in a vastly more engaging (if somewhat now retro) way.

Do not reply to say; "its too long, I can't be bothered." It's called learning, its not meant to be easy or quick.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    'Transitional' fossil alert :elefant:

A new very early mammalian fossil has been described that shows the inner ear bones in transition from their previous role as reptilian jaw bones. The thing that makes this new fossil interesting (as we already have lots of fossils that show reptilian jaw bones gradually changing shape and moving in mammal-like reptiles until we get to the current arrangement in early mammal fossils) is that it shows the bones detached from the jaw but not yet inside the skull.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...se-who-listen/

(you should all read Brian Switek's book "Written in Stone", go help your local library and rent it!)

Background:

The mammalian inner ear evolved from ancestral reptilian jaw bones (during foetal development the same bones develop into jaw bones in reptiles but inner ear bones in mammals). Here's an idealised image of the transition:

Note how the therapsids have both the reptilian (shown in the pelycosaur skull) and mammalian jaw joint (the black dots), allowing the bones involved in the reptilian joint to eventually move inside the mammalian skull while still leaving the early mammals with a functioning jaw. That's pretty cool.

Here's the transition in more detail, note the timeline on the left of the image with the ages of the fossils:

Images from, and much better detail at, http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/section1.html
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    x
    Remember to reply to me.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j.alexanderh)
    Let's start by clearing up a definition: the fact of evolution is the change over time in one or more inherited traits found in populations of organisms. It has nothing specifically to do with humans, although it is how we came about. As such, showing you that humans evolved form apes does not 'prove' evolution, only a small example.

Furthermore, humans still are apes, great apes to be precise. We share a common ancestor with modern gorillas, orangutans and chimpanzees.

Anyway, fossil record. Probably a bad move from you because there are loads: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/specimen.html (before attacking me with the penultimate paragraph, read the link in the pink box at the bottom right hand corner). 'Half man - half ape' is nonsense for the reasons described above. This is not the only evidence for our evolution; the chromosome fusion that I mentioned in my last post is a good example of genetic evidence for human evolution.

Once again, human evolution =/= evolution in general. Anyway, let me quote you the American National Academy for Science's definition of a scientific theory:

Some scientific explanations are so well established that no new evidence is likely to alter them. The explanation becomes a scientific theory. In everyday language a theory means a hunch or speculation. Not so in science. In science, the word theory refers to a comprehensive explanation of an important feature of nature supported by facts gathered over time. Theories also allow scientists to make predictions about as yet unobserved phenomena,

And according to the American Association for the Advancement of Science:

A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment. Such fact-supported theories are not "guesses" but reliable accounts of the real world. The theory of biological evolution is more than "just a theory." It is as factual an explanation of the universe as the atomic theory of matter or the germ theory of disease. Our understanding of gravity is still a work in progress. But the phenomenon of gravity, like evolution, is an accepted fact.

Okay. I know that. Evolution does have a bit more evidence than 'uh, some things look the same'.

All of those animals underwent evolution. In fact, lions, tigers, leopards and jaguars are extremely closely related, all of the same genus. All five of them are of the family felidae, and share a common ancestor.

Once again, evolution does have a hell of a lot more evidence than some animals looking the same.

Edit: also, the verb is 'evolved', not 'evoluted'.
    Thank you for that explanation, you've cleared up a lot of things for me.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The OP made the point that germ theory and cell theory were just theories. He/she misunderstood that the germ and cell theories were proved with irreproachable evidence and everyone accepts them as a FACT.

However, this is not the same status that evolution enjoys.
    You've just declared yourself incapable of having this conversation. Science does not deal with proof, it deals with evidence. Proof is only possible in the field of mathematics. Try reading even the most basic philosophy of science sometime.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was being taught evolution and creationism at the sam time in school and i expressed how i really felt about the idea in my R.S. book at school and well now lets just say im not doing R.S. any more and i got a good grade in biology. I think it is unreasonable to belive that some 'magic man' created all on earth. Whats your ideas ? :P
    • 74 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to go with what is observable and logical, i.e. evolution by natural selection.

EDIT: For non-scientists/creationists re the word "theory":

http://www.notjustatheory.com/
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I find it incredibly difficult to understand how so many people, sometimes intellectually superior to myself, can reject all the overwhelming evidence on (human) evolution.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    I'm going to go with what is observable and logical, i.e. evolution by natural selection.
    this
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Evolution isn't my opinion. It's a fact. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Creationist.

Although I'm not a religious person, my religious beliefs are described as "Monotheism", meaning I aknowledge the existence of one God.

I believe God created the universe and all the things in it but I don't necessarily subscribe to the theory he did all this in 6 days and rested on the 7th etc.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're so lucky to go to a school which does not bow to secular persecution of Christian theology. Is it one of the Vardy Academies?

Holy Scripture teaches us that God created the world in six 24hr days.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I believe in Evolution. I'm Christian although as someone said evolution is fact, it is a fact that it is a theory. Anything like that is a theory.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NapoleonDynamite)
    Evolution isn't my opinion. It's a fact. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT. FACT.
    Evolution isn't a fact.
    Although I believe in it, it is a theory, it will never be fact.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McWA)
    I think it is unreasonable to belive that some 'magic man' created all on earth. Whats your ideas ? :P
    So you think we came about from the slime on the floor? Well I have a few questions for you,

1. How did life begin in the first place?

2. How did consciousness come about?

3. Why does all the geological evidence support the Noachian Flood?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    See the thread at the top of the section called "The Evolution Thread"..?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomas...)
    I believe in Evolution. I'm Christian although as someone said evolution is fact, it is a fact that it is a theory. Anything like that is a theory.
    Absolutely. No-one can be 100% sure on anything regarding that. I think we'll only know the truth after we die and are in Heaven, but again, this is just a theory!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 11, 2014
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.