Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Does God Exist?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't believe in the existence of a deity. But if there were one, he/she/it would probably not be like the one described in the various scriptures found in the Abrahamic religions. Or would he/she/it? The holy scriptures seem so contradictory to me in their nature.

Why does this hypothetical 'god' let innocent children die in wars etc. if god is so merciful??? If there is a heaven, do the deceased children automatically go to heaven??? :confused:

Could someone explain this to me?

Sorry if this sounds a bit angry and offensive.

I've just wanted someone to answer these questions...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vwsl93)
    I personally don't believe in the existence of a deity. But if there were one, he/she/it would probably not be like the one described in the various scriptures found in the Abrahamic religions. Or would he/she/it? The holy scriptures seem so contradictory to me in their nature.

Why does this hypothetical 'god' let innocent children die in wars etc. if god is so merciful??? If there is a heaven, do the deceased children automatically go to heaven??? :confused:

Could someone explain this to me?

Sorry if this sounds a bit angry and offensive.

I've just wanted someone to answer these questions...
    You have to take a different perspective. According to the Bible our mere 70-100 years are simply very short compared to the eternity during which we will be living happilly. The death of a baby or anyone is very sad but if you consider that this person will then live forever after, this changes a lot. A bit like waking up from a nightmare. During the day you usually don't recall much of what happen during this nightmare. This baby, when he will be back to life, after a while will never remember that he went through starvation and other hardship. For him, this is going to be like recalling a nightmare.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    fraid not, nuff said.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightSideSince94)
    Atheism- the belief that there was nothing & nothing happened to nothing & then nothing magically exploded for no reason creating everything & then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itself for no reason which then turned into dinosaurs.
    Theism- the belief that there was nothing and nothing happened to nothing and then GOD EXISTED!

Shush.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the-future)
    fraid not, nuff said.
    How come just out of interest? Is there much reasoning and research or is it more of an impulsive choice?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inzamam99)
    How come just out of interest? Is there much reasoning and research or is it more of an impulsive choice?
    The choice is based around the fact that there is no proof for a god, if there was i would be a believer in God. though the fact is that evolution does provide a lot of answers and is heavily research and backed up, on the contrary there doesn't seem to be any for God.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the-future)
    The choice is based around the fact that there is no proof for a god, if there was i would be a believer in God. though the fact is that evolution does provide a lot of answers and is heavily research and backed up, on the contrary there doesn't seem to be any for God.
    Be careful when talking about "proof" though. "Proof" only exists within human-made measurement systems, and even then it's only "scientific" proof (never 100%).

So you're asking for something that exists outside of know human-made measurement systems to be proved with human-made measurement systems.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Theism- the belief that there was nothing and nothing happened to nothing and then GOD EXISTED!
    The problem is by "Nothing" we mean nothing in the known Universe. There could have been "something" in parallel Universes, for example.

That raises the question (assuming God exists) - is it the same God in a parallel Universe?

I'm interested to see that quantum physics etc. is actually opening up a lot more of these possibilities.

"White holes" are an interesting thing. The counterpart of a black hole. What, if for example, our "big bang" was a white hole? That might go some of the way to explaining how, in our known universe, something appeared to come out of nothing.

Edit - Ok I know it's only a lame Wikipedia look up quickly but one sentence struck as what I'm trying to say :
    "There are theories suggesting that white holes create new universes from matter originating in another universe's black hole".

Just chucking stuff around.....
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankieboy)
    The problem is by "Nothing" we mean nothing in the known Universe. There could have been "something" in parallel Universes, for example.

That raises the question (assuming God exists) - is it the same God in a parallel Universe?

I'm interested to see that quantum physics etc. is actually opening up a lot more of these possibilities.

"White holes" are an interesting thing. The counterpart of a black hole. What, if for example, our "big bang" was a white hole? That might go some of the way to explaining how, in our known universe, something appeared to come out of nothing.

Edit - Ok I know it's only a lame Wikipedia look up quickly but one sentence struck as what I'm trying to say :
    "There are theories suggesting that white holes create new universes from matter originating in another universe's black hole".

Just chucking stuff around.....
    This is all just wild speculation though, isn't it? Is it even worth ANYTHING? Wouldn't it be better to devote one's energies to REALITY? Isn't there more than enough to do there?

And when did "nothing" come to mean what we don't know about? Toying fitfully like this with words is a dangerous game - and just leads one into a state of confusion, from which it is possible that one may never again emerge. |I would not recommend it!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zaki)
    This is all just wild speculation though, isn't it? Is it even worth ANYTHING? Wouldn't it be better to devote one's energies to REALITY? Isn't there more than enough to do there?

And when did "nothing" come to mean what we don't know about? Toying fitfully like this with words is a dangerous game - and just leads one into a state of confusion, from which it is possible that one may never again emerge. |I would not recommend it!
    I do in essence agree with you, although I don't think it applies here (otherwise I wouldn't buy it either) - due to the fact that a lot of these theories are actually gathering weight as time goes on, so I wouldn't dismiss it that easily, personally.

I don't automatically believe them either, but remember that the world of Physics is constantly evolving, and I think a lot of these theories, to be fair, are a little bit more than "wild speculation". But, to be fair to the point you make, they aren't exactly proven scientifically either. So I'll meet you halfway on that one.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do in essence agree with you, although I don't think it applies here (otherwise I wouldn't buy it either) - due to the fact that a lot of these theories are actually gathering weight as time goes on, so I wouldn't dismiss it that easily, personally.

I don't automatically believe them either, but remember that the world of Physics is constantly evolving, and I think a lot of these theories, to be fair, are a little bit more than "wild speculation". But, to be fair to the point you make, they aren't exactly proven scientifically either. So I'll meet you halfway on that one.

Unless and until you have CONCLUSIVE proof for it all that you assert is mere GUESSWORK - however "educated" you claim it is. The fact is that it can ALL still be WRONG! You're doing no more than a pools tipster does. That's hardly science!

The correct approach is to STICK TO FACTS - and DON'T DENY FACTS! The funny thing is that the same people who are waiting for physics to come up with proofs of the most improbable and even ridiculous things that agree with their worldview are also THE SAME ONES who nowadays are claiming that free will, consciousness, and even the self are all ILLUSIONS! Some of them even claim that the Universe itself DOESN'T EXIST - or is "nothing"! This is how you know that they are not interested in truth and knowledge at all - but just want to push a view; a materialistic, atheistic view - AT ALL COSTS!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Your opponent is known for shouting at people in order to destabilize the argument. Take it easy.
    I fully agree with you. We do not need to go far. Think about the very first time we sent the man into space. Funny that the atheists (in the USSR) did it first. Everything was done by science - mechanics is used to understand how the spacecraft is going to move during and after launch under gravitaional forces, chemists figured out the composition of fuel, told us how much will be needed, then there was aerodynamics to calculate how to protect the return capsule from overheating, electronics. Phychologists, biomedics were involved to ensure that the man is physically fit and emotionally stable. A prediction was made when and where the man is going to land, and it worked. Predictive powers of science - what we need to do in order to achieve our goal - is the main thing. Of course people like your opponent are going to be unhappy because only God is supposed to know the future, but science says otherwise.
    Give it time, and your white holes or what not will be discovered, maybe you will do it if you are so interested.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zaki)
    Wouldn't it be better to devote one's energies to REALITY? Isn't there more than enough to do there?
    EXACTLY!
    So, what are you planning to do - eliminate diseases? Biuld cheap housing in third world countries? Bring literacy and numeracy to the poor?
    No more useless recycling of wild ideas!
    Come on, let's do it. When do you start?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)

Shush.
    No, theism, where christianity is concerned (I cant say much about other religions) is the belief that God was always there. There was no beginning.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marc707)
    No, theism, where christianity is concerned (I cant say much about other religions) is the belief that God was always there. There was no beginning.
    But that is just as unbelievable. The belief in gods is an attempt to answer the question of our world's origins but which does so by posing the same question about its answer. Completely unbelievable!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    But that is just as unbelievable. The belief in gods is an attempt to answer the question of our world's origins but which does so by posing the same question about its answer. Completely unbelievable!
    Im not saying that this is more believable than atheism or any other belief system, I was merely clearing up that Christians say God is begotter, he had no beginning. Obviously this is a very difficu;t, if not impossible concept for humans to comprehend because there is nothing that we can physically see that has this same quality.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    Believing in God is an irrational choice, and those religious people who accept that and are comfortable with the fact that religion can't be explained through earthly ways, they are the people who are truly religious and at peace with themselves.
    Let's work from this point. Is the belief in God an irrational one? I don't think so. I think to believe in God is a fully logical and reasonable one. There are many evidence for the existence of God.
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antho91)
    Let's work from this point. Is the belief in God an irrational one? I don't think so. I think to believe in God is a fully logical and reasonable one. There are many evidence for the existence of God.
    Such as?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antho91)
    like the person above has said, what evidence? please provide some examples.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marc707)
    Im not saying that this is more believable than atheism or any other belief system, I was merely clearing up that Christians say God is begotter, he had no beginning. Obviously this is a very difficu;t, if not impossible concept for humans to comprehend because there is nothing that we can physically see that has this same quality.
    My view of the universe is from outside the flow of time. From there, there is no beginning or end and everything is static. I find it quite easy to think about so it can't be very difficult / impossible. The only difficult question I have is "why is there something rather than nothing". But that's a question that neither atheists nor theists can answer.
Updated: August 21, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.