Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does God Exist?

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    well it's more like this evolution the big bang all that stuff may be true but only to a certain point cause eventually we will reach a point where science can go no further.

i believe in god as well as evolution and so on....
    cause how ever hard science tries, due to the limit of human intelligence we will never be able to actually explain the perfect beginning, cause it's a cosmological paradox cause there will always be an unexplained power or particle or whatever.

i believe that this power is god and as we will never be able to understand god thus a religion a path based on faith which is beyond intelligence as it has no limits.. that will answer the ultimate question

i'd like to see some good contradictions to this ....
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anjelofernando)
    well it's more like this evolution the big bang all that stuff may be true but only to a certain point cause eventually we will reach a point where science can go no further.

cause how ever hard science tries, due to the limit of human intelligence we will never be able to actually explain the perfect beginning, cause it's a cosmological paradox cause there will always be an unexplained power or particle or whatever.

i believe that this power is god and as we will never be able to understand god thus a religion a path based on faith which is beyond intelligence as it has no limits.. that will answer the ultimate question

That is merely your belief, nothing you have said is fact (specifically the bits i made bold)
    While i respect your belief, there is nothing there that supports an argument for gods existence... Even if those bold bits are infact true, it still doesnt mean theres a God, it just means we arent intelligent enough beings to understand, or no evidence exists. Stating god exists from that is just jumping to a random conclusion from nothing..
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just george)
    That is merely your belief, nothing you have said is fact (specifically the bits i made bold)
    While i respect your belief, there is nothing there that supports an argument for gods existence... Even if those bold bits are infact true, it still doesnt mean theres a God, it just means we arent intelligent enough beings to understand, or no evidence exists. Stating god exists from that is just jumping to a random conclusion from nothing..
    you misunderstand i specifically stated that therefore "I believe" it's upto whoever, to either accept that power as god, or simply accept it as an explainable power we will never come to understand..
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    P.S the most fundamental law in science is that "matter cannot be created or destroyed it can only be converted from one form to another"
    based on this science will NEVER have the ultimate answer,as going against this will contradict everything science has put forward so far
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No.

Evidence against - 9/11. 7/7, Saddam Hussein, Cheryl Cole, Manchester United, Adele, poverty in Africa.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    you misunderstand i specifically stated that therefore "I believe" it's upto whoever, to either accept that power as god, or simply accept it as an explainable power we will never come to understand..
    Hence why i said that i respect your belief. I was merely suggesting that from what you put there was no reason to believe in god, which made the statement "id like to see some good contradictions to this..." a bit odd :L

Also, what is this 'power' you're now talking about? Since when did it have to exist?

P.S the most fundamental law in science is that "matter cannot be created or destroyed it can only be converted from one form to another"
    based on this science will NEVER have the ultimate answer,as going against this will contradict everything science has put forward so far
    why would the answer have to go against it?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What is the point of this thread? some will say yes and some will say no and the rambling debate will go on with no end in site. Life is too short.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Matter is created all the time. In the LHC for example. I think you mean energy. And even then, conservation of energy doesn't really strictly translate to "the amount of energy in a closed system has a fixed unchanging value". It is sometimes possible to measure a change in the amount of energy even though it doesn't seem that any has been added or removed. That's quantum mechanics for you.

Nobody will ever answer the question of why there is something rather than nothing. If we ever do find some sort of first cause, giving it the name God is about as useful as giving it the name Banana Man.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silverngold)
    God didn't want us to know for definite and have a definite answer, otherwise we would all be like robots, he wanted us to believe in him without the proof so he can distinguish your true faith in him.

The only mere evidence I could suggest is from word of mouth and from scriptures that were written by people who witnessed Jesus heal people for example.
    Thats not really true though. The writer may have a motive to write the scripture eg to convert or get money

Plus god made us so if we saw him we would become robots

and the devil in many religions is described as knowing god completely yet they still act against him
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What is the point of this thread? Inevitably, some will yes and will say no and the rambling debate will continue into oblivion. Life is to short.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zuqqer)
    Can I just point something out- you will never convince someone that their faith is wrong, it must be their desicion and vice versa. Religion is faith, and (correct me if I'm wrong) faith is not something you can prove or disprove.
    Not quite. Religious people don't always base their belief in faith. When I was still a theist, I believed because I felt that there was strong evidence for God... and then I started to read more in depth religious debates and my belief started to diminish.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just george)
    Hence why i said that i respect your belief. I was merely suggesting that from what you put there was no reason to believe in god, which made the statement "id like to see some good contradictions to this..." a bit odd :L

Also, what is this 'power' you're now talking about? Since when did it have to exist?

why would the answer have to go against it?
    cause most simply something must eventually come from nothing and as far as i know that is not possible according law of physics

"power" here is the part which science will simply fail to explain you may call it whatever you please...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SsEe)
    Nope. Matter is created all the time. In the LHC for example. I think you mean energy. And even then, conservation of energy doesn't really strictly translate to "the amount of energy in a closed system has a fixed unchanging value". It is sometimes possible to measure a change in the amount of energy even though it doesn't seem that any has been added or removed. That's quantum mechanics for you.

Nobody will ever answer the question of why there is something rather than nothing. If we ever do find some sort of first cause, giving it the name God is about as useful as giving it the name Banana Man.

correct but man has already given the name god rather than bannna man :banana2: to this something

and has got the answer desired
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    cause most simply something must eventually come from nothing and as far as i know that is not possible according law of physics

"power" here is the part which science will simply fail to explain you may call it whatever you please...
    Just because we are yet to find an explanation for something doesn't mean we should just put in something in its place, be it a 'power' or god or whatever though..

And why must something come from nothing? anything and everything could be infinite, we dont know... which is why i prefer to take theories/beliefs at face value and look at the evidence for them, and decide what i think is reasonable Personally i just see 'god' as a way for people to put something they find familiar in to explain what we cannot explain through science.. but thats just my opinion.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    correct but man has already given the name god rather than bannna man :banana2: to this something

and has got the answer desired
    Man has done a bit more than give it a name. Rather than viewing it as some mysterious physical process that happened long ago, they worship it. They think it has intelligence, and that it is aware of our existence. A good proportion of people on the planet think it had a son that died for our sins. Most people on the planet thing this thing has a place for us after we die depending on whether we believe in it or not, whether we eat the right food, sleep with the right people etc etc. WTF! None of this is justified when we have no idea if such a thing even exists!

And for lots of people, that's definitely not the answer desired. It's just words said after the question is asked. "What did all this?" "God." "Ok thanks. That cleared everything up." Some of us like to verify the answers give to us! And so far, this one isn't verified.

And after all that, it still hasn't explained why there is something rather than nothing.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

That is equivalent to saying "God is science" and negates all forms of organised religion, including anything that defines god as a being or consciousness.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    It's evolving. It's evolved more in the last 200 years than it ever has done before. Obviously there are still gaps in scientific knowledge.

But where's the evidence for your God?

Your logic:

Claim there is a God ------> can't definitively prove there isn't a God ------> there must be a God

Please give your evidence.
    The evidence of miracles was passed down father to son since the prophets
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Surely you can't prove it either way so both religion and atheism are articles of faith.
    • 53 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spaz Man)
    Surely you can't prove it either way so both religion and atheism are articles of faith.
    Why is it faith to reject an idea with no evidence whatsoever?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Why is it faith to reject an idea with no evidence whatsoever?
    Because you can't disprove it and therefore have faith that the idea doesn't make sense or have faith that it will be disproved in the future sometime maybe.
Updated: August 21, 2012
New on TSR

So how did you do?

Come into the GCSE forum to share your grades

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.