The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You will not need to pick Biology. However, if you want to study A&F at LSE, you will have a massive advantage over other candidates if you took Further Maths too. It is not essential, but I would advise you to pick it as it will improve your chances.
Reply 21
Oh.. i lke maths..but not sure if i'll be able to cope..how is f maths likee?
There's no way that you need to take 5 or 6 UK A-levels. Most people do 4 AS (half A-levels) and then 3 A2 (full A-levels) in a total of 4 subjects. Some people do 5 AS, but then drop 1 or 2 before going onto A2. It is better to do 3 A2 and get AAA than do 5 and get ABBBB.

Secondly, you won't need to have done Biology to do Psychology - all the biology that you need is explained fully within the psychology lessons.
Reply 23
jit92
Oh.. i lke maths..but not sure if i'll be able to cope..how is f maths likee?

I'm finding it very easy, but that's because i'm a bit of a freak at Maths! Further Maths AS is easier than Maths A2 (depending on what modules you study), so even studying Further Maths up to AS would benefit your application. Like I said before, it is not essential to study Further Maths and the work load might be too much for you, so you should only consider it if YOU feel you are capable.
Reply 24
Valour
Samsoonie, it looks like you know a bit about Bellerbys. Are there any better colleges for me to attend? I took A Levels in Singapore but in the wrong subject combination.

Therefore, I intend to take 5 or 6 A Level UK subjects to make up for my poor GCE O Levels (5 B3s, 1 A2, 1 C6, 1 D7) or should i retake GCE O Levels (as GCSE) before moving on to A Levels UK?

Hey guy, there are many independent colleges in the UK, so it depends on where you would like to study. Bellebys College (4 campuses: London, Brighton, Cambridge and Oxford) is quite lenient when it comes to recruiting students, also the College is the one of very few institutions that have the Foundation programme recognised by LSE. However, Bellerbys is not one of the best independent schools to be honest, apparently the college itself is clever at marketing. Other reputable colleges like Westminster, Dulwich, Hurtwood House (Apology for my modest knowledge in this area) may be a bit stricter with your current results.

About GCSE, yes, universities like Oxbridge, LSE are really concerned about your GCSE (O-levels) results. The fact that you are from Singapore can be agaisnt you because admission tutors should know that O-levels (or IP) are available to Singaporean kids. You must declare these results when you apply through UCAS (Don't worry about what UCAS is at the moment), but making the decision to resit is your choice at the end of the day.

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 25
The thing is i'm not sure how the UK studies is as compared to Singapore studies..at did add maths at "O" level..we learn things lke Binomial Expansion, Integrgation, trio identities..etc..
Reply 26
Samsoonie..was just wondering.the bulk of the people who go in jan are from which pasrts of the world?
ty :smile:
Reply 27
Hey jit92! Do tell me the outcome once you decided where to go! :smile:
Reply 28
Btw, you doing foundation or As? Other than LSE, looking at other London schools am i right?
Reply 29
Doing A levels..hmm..for uni?..not really researched yet..uni of Manchester seems decent ..dude..do you noe whats do they call pure physics at GCSE?
Reply 30
Its the same i think
To be honest,
most international student do:
Maths
F. Maths
Chemistry
Physics
A personal interest subject or Critical Thinking/ General Studies

Latest