The Student Room Group

Few Manchester/ LJMU questions

Got offers from Manchester and LJMU, my firm and insurance. Now, I have a few questions,
1) Would i have a better chance of a phd ( should i decide to do it) at Manchester?
2) Is Manchester recognised as a better Pharmacy school?
3) Which one would give me an advantage in getting a job?
4) I am really drawn to Manchester but don't want to move away, i currently live in Liverpool, so not a problem for LJMU. But its only 30 mins on the train to Oxford street, so its not that far, is this too much to travel each day?
5) What's the average hours a week for Pharmacy? (I wouldn't mind traveling to Manchester if its 20-25 hours a week)

Thanks for any help,
Jay
are we talking LJMU vs University of Manchester?
Reply 2
Yeah
definitely university of manchester
University of Manchester is much better in all these respects, its the UK's most popular universities and is higly regarded. Its not too far from Liverpool so you could commute their everyday if you didnt want to live out. Manchester as a city is really good from what i've heard too. Im at University of Liverpool at the moment and compared to our facilities LJMU's facilities are extemely poor, although they are rebuilding some of their lecture halls and whatnot.
for pharmacy the university matters very little.
Reply 6
manchester is much better imo.
its red brick, russell group, good league table positition, overall nice people etc.

Im gonna go there everyday by train and my journey is an hour, so half an hour aint much.
i can't comment on this, i just know that Manchester is the place to be! :smile:
Reply 8
Congrats on your offers, both unis are great.

1) Would i have a better chance of a phd ( should i decide to do it) at Manchester?

I cant comment on this sorry.

Imo yes, manchester is an extremely good university.

Personally id say manchester, but i hear you have to do Pre-Reg pharmaceutical placement, and then an exam set by the RPSGB itself so it all depends on that exam really rather than the uni.
4) I am really drawn to Manchester but don't want to move away, i currently live in Liverpool, so not a problem for LJMU. But its only 30 mins on the train to Oxford street, so its not that far, is this too much to travel each day?

Not really, 30 mins isnt long but it could get tiresome after a while and im sure you'd like the experience of moving out tbh.
5) What's the average hours a week for Pharmacy? (I wouldn't mind traveling to Manchester if its 20-25 hours a week)

No idea mate, im a prospective undergrad too.

:smile:
Reply 9
Thanks for all the help, i think am defiantly going to go for Manchester, the trip wont bother me much, will have my Ipod and sure il have lots of work to do on the train! Yup made my mind up :biggrin: Thanks guys/girls
No worries mate, good luck :smile:
JayUKEFC
Got offers from Manchester and LJMU, my firm and insurance. Now, I have a few questions,

Thanks for any help,
Jay

1) No, the uni you get your degree at does not determine if you're more likely to get a PhD. Also, every university does PhDs so it depends on what uni you want to go to.. and ultimately what the subject of the PhD is. The interviewers will base their decision on what you know and who you are... not what uni you went to.
2) It is recognised as a good pharmacy school. LJMU is not seen as the best university but their pharmacy course is well respected. A university's status has no effect on how good their course is by the way.
3) Neither. The job will be offered because of you as a pharmacist/student... not which uni you go to. People need to realise that when you get to uni you take control for our own learning and development, so going to so called 'better unis' will not actually set you above the rest.
4) This is not too far to travel, as long as you get the fast train from Lime Street. However, if you went to Manchester i would suggest living in as traveling can be tiring and you are not likely to get involved in the student socials, etc etc.
5) Usually every day. Expect to start between 9 and 11, and finish between 3 and 5.
electro_girl
Im at University of Liverpool at the moment and compared to our facilities LJMU's facilities are extemely poor, although they are rebuilding some of their lecture halls and whatnot.

Liverpool uni has some equipment that LJMU doesn't and vice-versa. There are a range of labs, rooms, and theatres in LJMU so i doubt you have seen them all. I know liverpool uni has some shoddy facilities as well. Its funny how LJMU has two environmental scanning electron microscopes and Uni of Liverpool has none.

Finally... i doubt the facilities really matter that much unless you are carrying out proper research. How well you do in your degree is completely down to you and how much work you do.
Reply 13
I agree with the points by Tiger Swift. Also, I spent the first two years travelling in from a town midway between Manchester and Liverpool to LJMU. It used to take me about an hour including a 10 minute drive to the station, a 40 minute train as in rush hour all trains went slowly and stopped at every station and a walk from the station to Uni. Note that for Manchester Uni the current Pharmacy building is the Stopford Building I think which is a good trek from Oxford Road. Don't get me wrong, it was nice to stop at home, but this year I'm glad I took the plunge and moved out as its a lot of faff and you do miss out on a lot. Plus travelling at this time of year is never fun!

Latest