The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

what are your reasons then?
Reply 2
You just said please help I soooooo want to be a doctor.

Havent you just answered your own question
Reply 3
i think you do :smile: go for it
it doesnt sound like you really have much of a decision to me :s-smilie: your mind seems to be made.
If you don't want the interraction with patients and so on, you should probably read something else. But it depends on what your doubts were based on?
you can say you want to be a doctor- but the reasons behind them have to be good, as otherwise when it comes to training you'll crash and burn
Reply 7
my reasons would be i enjoy anatomy, reading about illness, medicines and how they work. I enjoy going to the doctors (might sound a bit weird) as i admire the work they do and when i walk out the door i'll be treated.
What are your doubts?
Humy786
my reasons would be i enjoy anatomy, reading about illness, medicines and how they work. I enjoy going to the doctors (might sound a bit weird) as i admire the work they do and when i walk out the door i'll be treated.

yes yes, but what about patients?
Reply 10
whether i would enjoy doing it as i dont know what ill be learning
Humy786

then look into it....
Well from your initial post OP, it seems your VERY determined to become a doctor. So, if your determination and desire is as strong as you say, you have NO choice but to study Medicine. This is the ONLY route to becoming a doctoe, i think. So yh, go for it.
you sound as though this is what you really want to do :smile:
give it your best shot!
Humy786

If you don't care about patients there's always courses like Immunology, Pathology etc, that you read alot about diseases in
Do it!

But be prepared to face stiff competition at EVERY university you apply to - theres no leeway where medicine's concerned
Reply 16
See if you can find a place that will let you do a little work shadowing somewhere relevant before you apply to study medicine.

A guy I went to school with did some after school work then decided to study anatomy instead but a lot of the medics I've met at university did something similar and found out just how much they really did want to be a doctor! :yep:

Look into it, talk to some doctors to see how such a career will impact on your life and if ya can, look into the courses at different universities - fire out some emails! People generally are very willing to help - good luck! ^_^
Humy786

Have you actually got any experience of medicine other than being a patient? I suggest you organise some relevant voluntary work or work experience, that should help make things clearer :smile:
Reply 18
haha you kind of sound like me.
except i really was thinking at one point that i'd apply to IR or econ....
but then i did the work experience.
i LOVED the hospital atmosphere and just being around people. :]

you need to go out there and do some work experience, shadow a doctor whatever. then decide.
and perhaps talk to a current med student? ^^
Reply 19
RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH and then do some more REASEARCH
Everything from Medical School curriculum to the career paths.
Then take a look at medical research, then the GMC, then other degrees.
Then do get a placement in a hospital (Ward Volunteer would be good, or shadowing and DEFINATELY DO NA A&E PLACEMENT if you can get one its the best thing EVER!
Then research Medical schools.

Then you will know!

Latest

Trending

Trending