The Student Room Group
Reply 1
If two things are inversely proportional then they can be written as

a1ba=kb\displaystyle a \propto \frac{1}{b} \Leftrightarrow a = \frac{k}{b}

In our case q1t2q \propto \frac{1}{t^2}
Reply 2
so if the value of t=5, how do you find q?

do you do q=1/25?
Reply 3
No, you put in your initial known values into q = K/ t^2 to work out K

you then put t=5 into the formula q = k/125

And since you have just worked out K, you can then work out q
Reply 4
Have you put t=4, q=5 into the formula?
Reply 5
Hi, I,m new to all this and trying to get my head around something that i,m guessing is fairly simple :0. The question i have for my maths revision is as follows, and i,m trying to work out if i got it right.
If y∝ 1/x and x = 4 when y = 5, find the value of x when y = 10. Many thanks!!
y=kxy=\frac{k}{x} so yx=k yx = k

Does that help?
Reply 7
Mr M
y=kxy=\frac{k}{x} so yx=k yx = k

Does that help?

The original post was a year ago. I expect the problem was solved many months ago!!!!
steve2005
The original post was a year ago. I expect the problem was solved many months ago!!!!

Use your eyes steve. I was replying to a post from a few minutes ago.
Reply 9
Thanks for that, i kinda get that bit its working out the number bit. I,ve never done maths b4, so i expect i need a beginners guide!!
Reply 10
q inversely prop. to t....
q=k/t^2
where k is a constant....
inkedup
Thanks for that, i kinda get that bit its working out the number bit. I,ve never done maths b4, so i expect i need a beginners guide!!

In your question y multiplied by x equals a constant k.

x = 4 when y = 5 so k = 20.

k will always equal 20 now.

If y = 10 what would x have to be?
Reply 12
2!! Thanks very much, thats what i thought i just needed to know if i did it right!!
inkedup
2!! Thanks very much, thats what i thought i just needed to know if i did it right!!

The key fact to understand is that if two quantities are in direct proportion and one quantity doubles the other quantity also doubles.

If two quantities are in inverse proportion, if one doubles then the other one halves.

Note: this does not work where something is proportional or inversely proportional to the square or cube of something etc.

Latest