Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

3 subjects in the first year ?

Announcements Posted on
Fancy winning £500? Join the Summer Bucket List Challenge and beat the holiday boredom! 06-07-2015
Waiting on IB results? Our IB results hub explains everything you need to know 01-06-2015
  1. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Hello I am just wondering from Students who go to Glasgow uni how the first 2 years work, as I have been told you study 3 subject. I would also like to no how you found it and if you were able to do the subject you liked the most out of them ?
  2. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

The structure of your degree depends somewhat on which college you're a part of (arts, sciences, etc.). Science subjects tend to have more rigid degree structures and more compulsory elements.

If you're an arts student, you'll take three subjects of your own choosing in first year. For example, you might go for Philosophy, History and Classics.

Each week, for each individual subject, you'll attend 2 or 3 lectures (recommended attendance but not compulsory) and a tutorial (compulsory attendance but they're not scheduled every week). So your timetable on any given week will consist of around 10 lectures and 2 or 3 tutorials. Keep in mind, this may differ slightly if you're doing a language (which requires a bit more contact time).

In second year you keep two of your subjects on, and drop one in place of another subject (which you study at first year level). For example, you might keep studying Philosophy and History, and drop Classics for English Literature.

The idea being that come the end of second year you'll have a choice between taking Philosophy as single honours, History as single honours, or a joint honours degree involving both subjects.

The first couple of years are fairly casual, and although there are some requirements to make it into honours (by honours I mean years 3 and 4 of your degree) these are usually easily achievable by the vast majority of students.

It's a system that has strengths (the opportunity to widen your knowledge and try subjects you potentially may love studying) and weaknesses (the classes are sometimes populated by people just making up credits, seminar discussion isn't very engaging).

Good luck, let me know if you need any more advice!
  3. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Thank you ever so much for the advice, can you please till me more about the structure of the Science subjects and which once I could undertake alone with Mathematics. Also does the type of college you are part of affect much other then the type of degree you will come out with ?
  4. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Thank you ever so much for the advice, can you please till me more about the structure of the Science subjects and which once I could undertake alone with Mathematics. Also does the type of college you are part of affect much other then the type of degree you will come out with ?
  5. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy Zein)
    Thank you ever so much for the advice, can you please till me more about the structure of the Science subjects and which once I could undertake alone with Mathematics.
    Sorry, I know very little at all about the Science degrees.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 4, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

New on TSR

IB results chat

Find help, advice and support here

x

Think you'll be in clearing or adjustment?

Hear direct from unis that want to talk to you

Get email alerts for university course places that match your subjects and grades. Just let us know what you're studying.

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.