The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Accomodation

Scroll to see replies

is there a chance into getting into your fave accom after the open day ? 31 of march ?
I dont want to decide before i ve seen them but Im scared to end up in something i dont like ........ heeelp !!=)
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 41
How common is it for people to go for parties at Murano from Queen Margaret and Cairncross? Is Queen Margaret really boring? Do I still have a chance in Queen Margaret or is it too late b/c all the people wanting en-suite will have applied already?
It's pretty common I'm sure, I definitely remember meeting some people from Cairncross at a party in Murano once.

I'd say you still have a chance as I know people from my course that got in and medicine offers didn't come out until mid-March.
Reply 43
0404343m
I lived there in 2005, and yes, its been substanstially upgraded since then, but still isn't anyhwere near QM. It took about three years to get from one side to the other, hence there was the running joke about living in the 'nice' end of Murano, and the rubbish one.

Still is that joke. :tongue: My block got done up over this summer :biggrin: theres still some blocks markedly scaffier (is that a word? ) than others.
Reply 44
this is going to sound like a really stupid question but,
do you have to wait til you've put glasgow as your firm/insurance before you apply for accommodation, or can you apply anyway and then they process it if/when you pick them?

i seem to be getting inundated with accommodation application forms from everywhere at the moment even though i haven't even made any decisions. i'm gonna pick my firm/insurance once i've visited glasgow at the applicant day, but i don't want to lose out on getting good accommodation..
I'm confused. Cooperage seems to have disappeared off the UNITE website? Booked a viewing of it for next week as I'm considering moving in there (not sure I'll get Uni halls as I think Airdrie's a bit too nearby :frown:)
But now it's gone? Is it full already or is it just one of these weird mysteries involving things disappearing from the web?
Reply 46
missimpossible
I'm confused. Cooperage seems to have disappeared off the UNITE website? Booked a viewing of it for next week as I'm considering moving in there (not sure I'll get Uni halls as I think Airdrie's a bit too nearby :frown:)
But now it's gone? Is it full already or is it just one of these weird mysteries involving things disappearing from the web?

Not sure, but if you're looking into UNITE, the Gibson st one is right by the uni, whereas the cooperage one is a wee bit away. If you've not looked at gibson st might be worth a look.
vickiii
Not sure, but if you're looking into UNITE, the Gibson st one is right by the uni, whereas the cooperage one is a wee bit away. If you've not looked at gibson st might be worth a look.

Gibson St = more ££, plus I can't seem to figure out how to book a viewing, or even if you CAN book a viewing it won't let me on the website. I'll try calling them tomorrow.
I swear to god, I hate the internet sometimes!!!

PS I take it back internet god, please don't smite me!
Reply 48
missimpossible
Gibson St = more ££, plus I can't seem to figure out how to book a viewing, or even if you CAN book a viewing it won't let me on the website. I'll try calling them tomorrow.
I swear to god, I hate the internet sometimes!!!

PS I take it back internet god, please don't smite me!

Glasgow has 3,400 rooms available- they've always had enough in previous years, I assume with Gibson St opening up they'll probably have even more. I'd ask the University if you can have a place, the worst they can say is no.

I'm not sure why Cooperage isn't on the website, I can't imagine it'd be full already... Its pretty nice though- nicer than the University owned halls I'd say. £109 a week for Gibson st is waay OTT. Infact, I'm struggling to think of anyone who pays £75 a week or over in private accomodation- I live in a flat with two other people, on the road to murano st but not as far out, about 10 minutes to Uni, no living room but couches in the two larger bedrooms, kitchen with a six person table in it, a pool table, and it costs me just over £60 a week. Even with bills added in I'm still around £150 a month better off than I would be in Gibston St.
Reply 49
vickiii
Still is that joke. :tongue: My block got done up over this summer :biggrin: theres still some blocks markedly scaffier (is that a word? ) than others.

I was doing my bit for queen and country by helping the freshers move in this year, and I must say they had spruced the place up a bit. My curtains looked about ten years old, the cooker and kitchen even older, and I had a motley collection of odd furniture and a carpet that seemed older than the building. It's no Hilton, but from what I'd seen, they'd managed to make the place look at least presentable this time round. That said, I've stayed in the Boddington student halls at Leeds University, and Murano wipes the floor with them every day of the week. Seriously, if you think that place is far away from campus and/or pretty basic, you haven't seen anything yet. They do have a bar in the halls though with TVs. We need one of those :mad:
0404343m
Glasgow has 3,400 rooms available- they've always had enough in previous years, I assume with Gibson St opening up they'll probably have even more. I'd ask the University if you can have a place, the worst they can say is no.

I'm not sure why Cooperage isn't on the website, I can't imagine it'd be full already... Its pretty nice though- nicer than the University owned halls I'd say. £109 a week for Gibson st is waay OTT. Infact, I'm struggling to think of anyone who pays £75 a week or over in private accomodation- I live in a flat with two other people, on the road to murano st but not as far out, about 10 minutes to Uni, no living room but couches in the two larger bedrooms, kitchen with a six person table in it, a pool table, and it costs me just over £60 a week. Even with bills added in I'm still around £150 a month better off than I would be in Gibston St.

Yeah, I know a girl from around here that got into halls last year, I definitely will ask.
I didn't think it would be either, I just blame the website :rolleyes: the rooms look pretty nice but I'll wait til I see them next week.
But yeah, Gibson St seems absolutely extortionate, I don't get why. Proximity and newness, I guess?
Reply 51
missimpossible
Yeah, I know a girl from around here that got into halls last year, I definitely will ask.
I didn't think it would be either, I just blame the website :rolleyes: the rooms look pretty nice but I'll wait til I see them next week.
But yeah, Gibson St seems absolutely extortionate, I don't get why. Proximity and newness, I guess?

I think they're all ensuite too, which bumps the cost up. But yeah, its a prime location. Three minutes to the GUU and the nearest subway, five minutes to Viper, the library and most classes on campus, less than ten to the big clubs on sauchiehall street. They really couldn't have picked it better if they tried. I remember walking past a couple of years ago thinking "they'll never get student halls on that patch of land". Turns out I was wrong...

All that said, even with the location, screw paying £475-£500 a month for an ensuite room, no matter how nice it is, I'm under £300 ffs.
0404343m
I think they're all ensuite too, which bumps the cost up. But yeah, its a prime location. Three minutes to the GUU and the nearest subway, five minutes to Viper, the library and most classes on campus, less than ten to the big clubs on sauchiehall street. They really couldn't have picked it better if they tried. I remember walking past a couple of years ago thinking "they'll never get student halls on that patch of land". Turns out I was wrong...

All that said, even with the location, screw paying a month £475 for an ensuite room, no matter how nice it is.

Indeed. That's just less than what I've been saving every month, all my savings would be gone within a year, and then some =/
Silly money, how I hate it.
Reply 53
missimpossible
Indeed. That's just less than what I've been saving every month, all my savings would be gone within a year, and then some =/

Excuse me for the typo, its now been corrected :rolleyes:. Well, first year at any University is usually the most expensive, since halls usually hold a premium over private rents because of the atmosphere, and people are usually willing to pay a bit more. London is probably one of the few exceptions here. Have you decided on Glasgow or Strathclyde yet? Strathclyde is in a cheaper part of the city (although my friends live in a block near ABC which is equidistant between all three Universities, so it's filled with Glasgow/Caley and Strathy students) and you'll probably save a bit on rent out there, I'd say budget £80 a week including bills in the West End, and maybe around £70 if you stick to the areas east of Strathclyde. It'll probably add up to a couple of grand over the course of your degree though, so thats something to think about, but I think almost everyone is of the opinion the West End is much nicer. No one really knows how the house prices are going to go, and this is pushing rents up a bit because people would rather wait and see than jump in and buy a place, but I know very few people paying over £300 a month right now before bills are taken in. I reckon you'd have to be mad to pay what they're asking for Gibson St, but if Cooperage is indeed full, and the University are having none of your requests for accomodation, I suppose you can take the hit for one year, knowing that it'll come down a huge amount once you move out. Then you'll feel rich by comparison, and that'll be great. :wink:
Reply 54
0404343m
I was doing my bit for queen and country by helping the freshers move in this year, and I must say they had spruced the place up a bit. My curtains looked about ten years old, the cooker and kitchen even older, and I had a motley collection of odd furniture and a carpet that seemed older than the building. It's no Hilton, but from what I'd seen, they'd managed to make the place look at least presentable this time round. That said, I've stayed in the Boddington student halls at Leeds University, and Murano wipes the floor with them every day of the week. Seriously, if you think that place is far away from campus and/or pretty basic, you haven't seen anything yet. They do have a bar in the halls though with TVs. We need one of those :mad:

Well there is technically tht common room thing with a tv... though I don't know anyone who goes.. all they need is a bar that would be awesome!! :biggrin: Bet they'd make a fortune as well. Yeah my flat kitchen was pretty nice and clean when we moved in, not since then sadly. :tongue:
Reply 55
missimpossible

Hmm im having a severe hatred of money (or rather the lack of it!!) atm, don't ask me how, but it didn't occur to me I won't be getting student loan over summer, but I'll be paying rent + bills :frown: Was planning on going round europe, but thats now completely out the window, as I'm going to be in overdraft as it is for the start of 2nd year now! I don't know how the lack of student loans in summer didn't occur to me sooner!!
Reply 56
vickiii
Hmm im having a severe hatred of money (or rather the lack of it!!) atm, don't ask me how, but it didn't occur to me I won't be getting student loan over summer, but I'll be paying rent + bills :frown: Was planning on going round europe, but thats now completely out the window, as I'm going to be in overdraft as it is for the start of 2nd year now! I don't know how the lack of student loans in summer didn't occur to me sooner!!

Ach, thats nothing- since I last went on a proper holiday in 2005, I've had a one week break in my aunts flat in Spain twice, and one year where I had a weekend in Belfast and T in the Park to do me over the summer. I've had to get a job for three months every summer on top of my usual £300 a month wages (+ loan, my mum said I could always stay at home, so she wasn't paying my rent), and after five years at Uni, I'll walk away with debt + overdraft of just over £9,000 in total. And I'm not even that bad financially compared to lots of people- I've never not been able to go out for weeks on end and survive on noodles like some have. The one thing about Unite is, I think there was the option to sign 42 week lets, meaning you were only contracted between the start of September and the end of June- that said, once you factor in the higher rate you pay, its not actually any cheaper than 12 months anywhere else!
Reply 57
0404343m
Ach, thats nothing- since I last went on a proper holiday in 2005, I've had a one week break in my aunts flat in Spain twice, and one year where I had a weekend in Belfast and T in the Park to do me over the summer. I've had to get a job for three months every summer on top of my usual £300 a month wages (+ loan, my mum said I could always stay at home, so she wasn't paying my rent), and after five years at Uni, I'll walk away with debt + overdraft of just over £9,000 in total. And I'm not even that bad financially compared to lots of people- I've never not been able to go out for weeks on end and survive on noodles like some have. The one thing about Unite is, I think there was the option to sign 42 week lets, meaning you were only contracted between the start of September and the end of June- that said, once you factor in the higher rate you pay, its not actually any cheaper than 12 months anywhere else!

I know its not that bad- was just a bit disappointing because I was looking forward to it. :tongue: My job at home had previously said I could come back and work holidays no problem so I had taken that into account in my spending this year but found out a couple of weeks ago they're now not doing well enough to take me on, but I think I've another job lined up from August. :smile: My mum's the same rentwise sadly, stilll wouldn't move back home for all the money in the world though, I'd much rather graduate in debt. Secured an amazing flat on Saturday (which was what prompted me to work out money for summer, what with deposit etc) so I'll just take comfort in that! So pleased with it though :biggrin:
0404343m
Excuse me for the typo, its now been corrected :rolleyes:. Well, first year at any University is usually the most expensive, since halls usually hold a premium over private rents because of the atmosphere, and people are usually willing to pay a bit more. London is probably one of the few exceptions here. Have you decided on Glasgow or Strathclyde yet? Strathclyde is in a cheaper part of the city (although my friends live in a block near ABC which is equidistant between all three Universities, so it's filled with Glasgow/Caley and Strathy students) and you'll probably save a bit on rent out there, I'd say budget £80 a week including bills in the West End, and maybe around £70 if you stick to the areas east of Strathclyde. It'll probably add up to a couple of grand over the course of your degree though, so thats something to think about, but I think almost everyone is of the opinion the West End is much nicer. No one really knows how the house prices are going to go, and this is pushing rents up a bit because people would rather wait and see than jump in and buy a place, but I know very few people paying over £300 a month right now before bills are taken in. I reckon you'd have to be mad to pay what they're asking for Gibson St, but if Cooperage is indeed full, and the University are having none of your requests for accomodation, I suppose you can take the hit for one year, knowing that it'll come down a huge amount once you move out. Then you'll feel rich by comparison, and that'll be great. :wink:

Lol you make a couple of very good points :smile: The West End is just soooo nice tho. It's not my main consideration - obviously the course is - but because there's not much between the two institutions, it's coming down to things like this. I've lived east of Glasgow my whole life, and to be honest I'm a bit sick of it. I think I'd rather just bite the bullet and pay slightly extra rather than stay out that way. Anyhoo, I'll wait til I've definitely decided where I'm going before I start to completely stress my head over it.
vickiii

Eek, that's definitely the sort of thing that'll happen to me. I'm great at maths, but have a total inability to think or care about money =/ it's like every time someone starts to talk to me about it I lose the will to live.
Was going to go on holiday & to a festival this year (Download or Reading) but I don't think I can do both and I don't know which one to do!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending