The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Accomodation

Scroll to see replies

I've just found out from someone living in Cooperage Place this year that it's becoming part of the University of Glasgow halls from now. That's why it's not on the UNITE website. It's not on the university website either but they're really bad with updating it.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Meltdown30
I've just found out from someone living in Cooperage Place this year that it's becoming part of the University of Glasgow halls from now. That's why it's not on the UNITE website. It's not on the university website either but they're really bad with updating it.

Ah right, thanks for the info :smile:
More rooms, maybe I'm in with a shot for accommodation after all :smile:
I'm hoping to live in halls at Glasgow (Murano 1st choice) and i've just read this http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_86527_en.pdf

"NO PARTIES ARE TO BE HELD IN FLATS OR HOSTELS"
"Please keep noise levels to a minimum after 7.00pm and endeavour to have silence after 11.00pm"

Are they actually strict about this? At my previous uni the halls routinely got trashed at weekends and they didn't really give a crap except on the occasion where we went too far. I'm hoping they wont be too strict on this at least for the first few weeks.
If it's incredibly loud, security sometimes will tell you to turn off the music and if it's really crowded, they'll throw out people that don't live there. You can call security from the phone in your room if it's really loud (I never did but was tempted to on occasions!)

They're student halls though, they're not going to be silent after 11pm!
Meltdown30
If it's incredibly loud, security sometimes will tell you to turn off the music and if it's really crowded, they'll throw out people that don't live there. You can call security from the phone in your room if it's really loud (I never did but was tempted to on occasions!)

They're student halls though, they're not going to be silent after 11pm!

That's good- I'm usually relatively considerate on weekdays but also like to have a good time on Friday and Saturday night's (but it's usually pre night out so the noise doesn't go on too late). I was just worried they were going to be overly strict and not allow us any fun in halls.
For everyone wondering why Cooperage Place has disappeared from UNITE's website it's because it's been sold to Glasgow Uni - Gibson Street is now their GU accommodation, although it is absolutely extortionately priced (£109/wk for a basic room compared to £92/wk for the deluxe room Cooperage used to offer :eek:). I certainly won't be living there next year
I live at Cooperage now and having checked my online account my booking has been completely cancelled and I have no idea who to pay my rent to now :s-smilie: The handover has been handled extremely poorly. Pretty much sums up UNITE really = crap.
Has anyone actually received any offer for accomodation yet? The e-mail I got said they'd make an offer in 7 days and it's nearly been a month now... not that I'm being impatient at all or anything. :rolleyes:
citiesindust
Has anyone actually received any offer for accomodation yet? The e-mail I got said they'd make an offer in 7 days and it's nearly been a month now... not that I'm being impatient at all or anything. :rolleyes:

I'm sure I read somewhere they don't start allocating accommodation until April.

EDIT: found it http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation/applicationprocessfaqs/whenwillireceiveanofferofaccommodation/
Have you an unconditional offer? I didn't get mine until after the results. It actually ended up in my junk mail and thankfully I was keeping track of forums so heard other people had got them!

All I got was a letter telling me I was in category A.
Yes, I've an unconditional offer. All I got was an e-mail saying they'd transferred my application from the holding table into the applications system and that it would be processed as normal. I guess I could e-mail them about my category since quite a few other people with unconditional offers know theirs already..
Reply 70
Still haven't sent off my application, WHY do I always leave everything to so late? I've suddenly realised how much I need to not be in Murano, I need sleep. If I do end up there it will be my own burloody fault because I left it so late. And actually I'm STILL not quite sure where I want to be. The point is, I have to get a move on. Although even if I do end up there it won't be so bad. I will learn a very important lesson about viewing things with a sense of humour if I end up having to listen to Linkin Park until 4 in the morning each night of my undergraduate student experience.

(Oh God. Seriously, I'm all for parties and having a merry ol' time. But please, Lord, not Linkin Park.)
noujazeg
Still haven't sent off my application, WHY do I always leave everything to so late? I've suddenly realised how much I need to not be in Murano, I need sleep. If I do end up there it will be my own burloody fault because I left it so late. And actually I'm STILL not quite sure where I want to be. The point is, I have to get a move on. Although even if I do end up there it won't be so bad. I will learn a very important lesson about viewing things with a sense of humour if I end up having to listen to Linkin Park until 4 in the morning each night of my undergraduate student experience.

(Oh God. Seriously, I'm all for parties and having a merry ol' time. But please, Lord, not Linkin Park.)

The halls I lived at my previous uni were the most social/most noisy but it was never a problem except on the occasional night when there was a big party going on- I've never struggled to sleep. Most nights people went out rather than staying in anyway, also the security and warden made sure people weren't getting disturbed early in the morning. People are usually considerate and don't go blasting music out at 4am. I wouldn't discount Murano based on worrying about getting to sleep. The biggest and most sociable halls really are the best places to stay.
Reply 72
EmmaDilemma
the thing I'm beginning to wonder about is.. I live just outside Kilmarnock and I've heard people saying if you live within a 25 mile radius of Glasgow Uni you can't get Student Accommodation... tbh one of the main highlights about going to uni would be going to the Halls seen as its like an amazing place to meet new people and it would mean I wouldn't be traveling every day...

anyone else heard about this? :frown:

Thats not true. First option will be given to those outwith the 30 mile radius, but they have never ran out of rooms in the five years I've been here, and I got one from only 19 miles away. They've just bought a new set of buildings aswell, so there should be even more rooms than the current 3400 (whether that means they'll be selling off other ones I do not know), so once they've allocated to those further away, you'll be in a position to see whats left. Last year they had a couple of hundred rooms spare I seem to recall.
Even if you're unlucky and don't get in straight away, you can keep your name on the waiting list as there's always people that drop out.
Reply 74
EmmaDilemma
oh thank god.
Believe it or not I actually want to go to Murano halls ...my brother went there when he was at Uni and he said that the parties were amazing & it was quite close to a lot of stuff.

Yeah, they like to scaremonger on the website about there being far more demand than there is rooms, but in reality, theres always been enough to go round, and they've just bought cooperage, so that'll be another few hundred spaces. Even if you don't get in, there's still the private halls which are pretty good (but expensive). Since you're a full time Glasgow student starting first year, you could also argue you live too far away to visit to find accomodation, but you probably wont hit the 30mile criteria (you can check by putting the relevant postcodes into multimap.com), but you meet two of the three criteria. You could also say your parents are planning to move away (even if they're not) as they've never seemed to have got wise to this trick yet.

Problem is, you probably will get whats left, rather than your first choice. Happily, this is usually Murano, since 1/3 of the available rooms are here.
EmmaDilemma
oh thank god.
Believe it or not I actually want to go to Murano halls ...my brother went there when he was at Uni and he said that the parties were amazing & it was quite close to a lot of stuff.

I don't want to put you off Murano - I lived there and it was great - but it isn't in a particularly prime location for amenities. There's a decent size Tesco 10-15 minutes walk away but you're a good 20 minute walk from uni and Byres Road, which is where the closest pubs and things are.
EmmaDilemma
the thing I'm beginning to wonder about is.. I live just outside Kilmarnock and I've heard people saying if you live within a 25 mile radius of Glasgow Uni you can't get Student Accommodation... tbh one of the main highlights about going to uni would be going to the Halls seen as its like an amazing place to meet new people and it would mean I wouldn't be traveling every day...

anyone else heard about this? :frown:

Hey don't worry I'm in the same situation as you. If I decide to go to Glasgow I'm only about 12 miles away but I'm gonna apply for halls anyway. I know a girl who got in last year from here, so fingers crossed.
I really don't want to live at home either, we'll make them accept us :tongue:
Reply 77
I'm applying for Murano and shall be buying a decent set of earplugs!
Saying that, I've stayed there with friends around 6 times now and it isn't all la la constant parties. There's just people all around you!
Reply 78
Is anyone planning on moving into private?
I got my offer, accepted them. When do I get my accommodation offer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending