The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1080
Hey :smile:

Does anyone know when you can start applying for accomodation in Glasgow?

:biggrin:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by efc93

I think it's like Mid feb/march it will be on the University's website i presume! and you have to have the uni as your firm also :smile:
Reply 1082
Original post by TShadow383
There is internet access in every room - however it's a bit on the slow side (typically 0.7-1.5mbit). There are also 12 (I think) PCs in reception.

I moved out of murano after first year, for those of you staying there this year, I have two important bits of advice:
-Keep a roll of toilet paper in your room for when your flatmates have used it all up.
-http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-FT-SINGLE-MEMORY-FOAM-MATTRESS-TOPPER-3-7-5-CM-/230724296792?pt=Beds_Mattresses&hash=item35b83d6058
^Get yourself something like this. Most of the beds in murano are awful. I got stabbed in the back by a spring coming out of my matress that actually broke the skin, and the management company still wouldn't give me a new one :tongue:

Thanks for letting me know! I will keep that in mind :biggrin:
Reply 1083
Original post by efc93

Original post by Niamh Mc D
I think it's like Mid feb/march it will be on the University's website i presume! and you have to have the uni as your firm also :smile:

Yeah, it says mid feb on the University's website :smile: can't wait
Original post by andras

Original post by andras
If I remember well, the same page indicates that teaching begins on 17th Sept. But then it really doesn't make sense, since my UCAS tells the same 14th Sept date. :-) We'll see. I have a conditional offer for Business and Management which I received in December, but haven't heard from my other universities yet.

Ooo, yea loads of different dates so far lol. Sure, when the welcome packs come through I'm sure it will tell us all what we need to know :smile:
Reply 1085
Yeah, it says mid feb on the University's website can't wait

Thanks!

I can't wait either!

Still have to decide whether to put Murano or QM down as my first choice - any advice? :smile:
Original post by efc93
Thanks!

I can't wait either!

Still have to decide whether to put Murano or QM down as my first choice - any advice? :smile:

Murano!! :smile: they've got the most students so you'll meet more people! And anyone i talk to tell me to pick murano haha so I think i will!
Reply 1087
Original post by Niamh Mc D
Murano!! :smile: they've got the most students so you'll meet more people! And anyone i talk to tell me to pick murano haha so I think i will!

Yeah I'm thinking Murano too for fun - but then I like the idea of having your own bathroom at QM? :/
Original post by efc93
Yeah I'm thinking Murano too for fun - but then I like the idea of having your own bathroom at QM? :/

Aye that does sound nice but it's cheaper to not have your own bathroom at the same time! i'm hoping murano lives up to everything i hear about it! :smile:
Reply 1089
Aw I'm so torn :/ think the fun at muranos going to over-rule the niceness and ensuite at QM :smile: Muranos meant to be amazing! :biggrin: wish it was september now!
Reply 1090
Would it be possible to pay for accommodation purely with student loan/ grant or maintenance grant? Or is that a stupid question?
Original post by Jordan_1
Would it be possible to pay for accommodation purely with student loan/ grant or maintenance grant? Or is that a stupid question?

It probably would be if you come from a family with a lower income, but you'd not have much/ any money left over.
Original post by efc93
Aw I'm so torn :/ think the fun at muranos going to over-rule the niceness and ensuite at QM :smile: Muranos meant to be amazing! :biggrin: wish it was september now!

In school today that's all me and my friends discussed haha having an ensuite! But i think i'll get used to sharing a bathroom.. i'm gonna have to! I know i wish it was september too i really cannot wait to go!! I'm going to glasgow at easter though with 3 friends, so excited!
Reply 1093
Original post by Irishguy2K10
Ooo, yea loads of different dates so far lol. Sure, when the welcome packs come through I'm sure it will tell us all what we need to know :smile:

Do you know when these are being sent out? I cannot wait to get mine :smile:
Original post by atticus_

Original post by atticus_
Do you know when these are being sent out? I cannot wait to get mine :smile:

I have no idea tbh, sometime this month I guess when we can all apply for accommodation :smile:
Reply 1095
Ahhh I'm just waiting for a decision from Durham but they're notorious for letting people know late :/ I think that I'm gonna firm Glasgow anyway but does anybody know how much a disadvantage (if any) there is in applying during late March/April (after the post-offer visit day) in comparison to applying as soon as they allow you to? :confused:

I'm just worried that my Maintenance Loan is likely to be in the region of £4610, but the problem is that if I want to live in QM, I'm paying about £4685 for accommodation alone. Of course, this doesn't take into account any income that I might receive from my parents or a part-time job, but still, that's all my Maintenance used up on accommodation. God knows how I'll be able to survive/eat/buy stuff.have a social life! I haven't yet been to see the accommodation, hence why I'll be going to the post-offer day, but I guess I'll have to have a good look/ask around too.

Murano is looking to be my best bet at the moment... I guess my biggest worry is that I'll be in a flat with people who are revoltingly unhygienic and leave crap everywhere. I'm not a clean freak by any means, but the idea of people s****ing anywhere in a flat in any place other than a toilet :eek: (I've been browsing horror stories on TSR for waaay too long) is extremely off-putting. I get that it's a rare occurrence, but what measures are in place to help people if they are unlucky enough to get into this sort of situation? :s-smilie:
Reply 1096
Original post by NKP94
Ahhh I'm just waiting for a decision from Durham but they're notorious for letting people know late :/ I think that I'm gonna firm Glasgow anyway but does anybody know how much a disadvantage (if any) there is in applying during late March/April (after the post-offer visit day) in comparison to applying as soon as they allow you to?

I don't think that applying in March or April is a disadvantage, since they only start sending out accommodation offers in mid-April to those people who have firmed an unconditional offer. Those with conditionals will only receive offers after their results are published.
hey everyone :smile:
this must be a really stupid question, but i would really appreciate your help

i was wondering whether i have to stay in halls for the whole year once i've applied for the accommodation? can i just pay each month and then move out?

thank you!
Original post by Annie-Bananie
hey everyone :smile:
this must be a really stupid question, but i would really appreciate your help

i was wondering whether i have to stay in halls for the whole year once i've applied for the accommodation? can i just pay each month and then move out?

thank you!

You have to sign a contract which lasts the year, you might be able to move out if you can find someone else to take your room.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
You have to sign a contract which lasts the year, you might be able to move out if you can find someone else to take your room.

+1 thank you!
ooh it's a shame, i hoped i can live there for a few months, find friends and move out.. :frown: why does it have to be so expensive? :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending