The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Accomodation

Scroll to see replies

hey guys it's me again

i was wondering if anyone has pictures of CX bedroom? it seems so... well, not very pleasant on the university website , so I was hoping that it might be different :biggrin:

I like QM as well.. ooh so hard to choose :frown:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
I'm still waiting to hear from Strathclyde, they better hurry up so i can firm uni of glasgow and apply for accomdation :frown:
Woo, applied :smile:
I went for QM as my top choice - even though it's expensive I want the bathroom, I want the bathroom :tongue:
Rest were (in order): Murano Large flat, murano small flat, cairncross single, cairncross large single, student apartments single.
Haha it'll be so annoying if in August they offer me a twin room.
Original post by Pen Island
Woo, applied :smile:
I went for QM as my top choice - even though it's expensive I want the bathroom, I want the bathroom :tongue:
Rest were (in order): Murano Large flat, murano small flat, cairncross single, cairncross large single, student apartments single.
Haha it'll be so annoying if in August they offer me a twin room.

I was thinking of firming QM or CX. I like QM but it seems so far away.. do you know how much does the bus cost there? sorry, I'm not from Scotland :biggrin:

and congrats on ur offer :h:
Original post by Annie-Bananie
I was thinking of firming QM or CX. I like QM but it seems so far away.. do you know how much does the bus cost there? sorry, I'm not from Scotland :biggrin:

and congrats on ur offer :h:

Thanks (just the grades I need to get now!) :biggrin: No idea how much the bus is I'm not from there either - I think it's only about a 20 minutes walk away from the campus though, that's not too bad (haha I say that now, next year I'll be complaining :tongue:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1125
Hi all

Applications for student accommodation @Glasgow Uni are now open and I try to figure out if I need 39 or 52 weeks.

I'm going to study International Strategic Marketing (MSc) from Sep. It's a 12 months full-time course, but what does that mean? Does it mean sitting in my room over the summer, writing project papers? I'm from Germany, so it's pretty important for me to know what to expect once I'm there :smile:

Thank you for your help in advance!
yay it's open! Just wish St A would get back to me so I can apply for my accommodation soon!
Reply 1127
Hi! I got my unconditional offer from Glasgow about 1 week ago, but I'm still waiting for 3 other unis to reply. Is it true that I can't apply for accom. at Glasgow before I've recieved all my offers? Have people started applying/reciveing accom. offers already?

I've read through almost 50 pages here and people say good and bad( often very bad) stuff about some places. Could someone share some info about the halls? I've lived at boardingschool for 2 years and DO NOT want to share with someone! I'd also want self-catered since it's cheaper. If I have to choose between a loud place or quiet I'd choose the latter, but still I'd like to make friends and be sociable. I've looked at QM and I'm putting this as my first choice, but what to put next??
Looked at a flickr account someone linked to earlier and Victoria Hall and Maclay looked nice, Sauchiehall St = not to bad. Do these halls take undergrads?

Sorry for all the questions! Hope someone can help! :biggrin:
Original post by Soli123
Hi! I got my unconditional offer from Glasgow about 1 week ago, but I'm still waiting for 3 other unis to reply. Is it true that I can't apply for accom. at Glasgow before I've recieved all my offers? Have people started applying/reciveing accom. offers already?

I've read through almost 50 pages here and people say good and bad( often very bad) stuff about some places. Could someone share some info about the halls? I've lived at boardingschool for 2 years and DO NOT want to share with someone! I'd also want self-catered since it's cheaper. If I have to choose between a loud place or quiet I'd choose the latter, but still I'd like to make friends and be sociable. I've looked at QM and I'm putting this as my first choice, but what to put next??
Looked at a flickr account someone linked to earlier and Victoria Hall and Maclay looked nice, Sauchiehall St = not to bad. Do these halls take undergrads?

Sorry for all the questions! Hope someone can help! :biggrin:

Unfortunately you have to wait until you have accepted an offer from Glasgow. I am going to Glasgow but like you am still waiting to hear back from other universities. In terms of what to go for I think you should maybe see the places first, are you going to the applicant's day?
Reply 1129
Original post by J'adoreMaCachette
Unfortunately you have to wait until you have accepted an offer from Glasgow. I am going to Glasgow but like you am still waiting to hear back from other universities. In terms of what to go for I think you should maybe see the places first, are you going to the applicant's day?

No I can't, I don't live near enough.. I'm quite sure that I'm gonna choose Glasgow Uni, so I'm considering just accepting their offer and say no to the others, and just get the accommodation application going.. As I said, I don't want to share a room with anyone and not the bathroom either if I can help it, though it's not the wors that can happen. Also I'm not a super committed party girl either, though I like a good party! :biggrin: But I got quite a lot of the party thing done at boarding school and now I just want to make sure I get a room where I get enough sleep/quiet to focus on my studies. :colondollar: ( so; not a crazy loud party hall)

Anyone got any advice on which halls would suit me? I got:
1)Queen Mary
2)Viktoria Hall
3)Maclay
4)Sauciehall
5)Kelvinhaug gate
Are they all undergrad places? You think they would suit? :smile:
I guess I'm choosing Murano :smile: the only problem is that I always wear high heels so it will be really hard walking to the university and back, but oh well.. :biggrin: i don't even have flats :/
I guess I'm choosing Murano :smile: the only problem is that I always wear high heels so it will be really hard walking to the university and back, but oh well.. :biggrin: i don't even have flats :/

haha I wouldn't recomend Murano if you only wear heels..it's on a massiveee hill and its pretty far from the uni. You should go for QM or CX.
Original post by DwightSchrute
haha I wouldn't recomend Murano if you only wear heels..it's on a massiveee hill and its pretty far from the uni. You should go for QM or CX.

i heard about the hill and the thought of it is killin me, but what can a very short lady do without heels? :biggrin: but there must be a public transport nearby. at least I hope so! please tell me there is! :biggrin:
Original post by atticus_
Yeah, I read that part, too but it also says "computer cluster" and got a bit worried that internet access is available when using the pc cluster :smile: I would assume there's inet in every room, though especially considering the weekly rent :smile:

hey there!do you know if bills like electricity/water/heating is included in the price of rent per week?
just heard that there is no cleaner in Murano small flats.. who cleans the toilet and shower then?? :eek: are we supposed to to this? i mean it's fine when you're the only one using it, but 5 people... :eek:
just heard that there is no cleaner in Murano small flats.. who cleans the toilet and shower then?? :eek: are we supposed to to this? i mean it's fine when you're the only one using it, but 5 people... :eek:

It's absolutely fine cleaning a shower and loo yourself even when it's been used by loads of people. I don't know about Murano cleaners but in second year you'll likely live in a flat with communal shower/bathroom and take it in turns to clean. Just put on rubber gloves and everything is possible.

Original post by ioikonomou
hey there!do you know if bills like electricity/water/heating is included in the price of rent per week?

Yes it is.
Reply 1136

Yeah, I also read there's no cleaning service in Murano's small flats, which is why this is my third choice. Also, you need to rethink your high heel policy if you are going to live there (you should probably have flats in your bag just for the hill) ... and call them hill flats or something :smile:
Original post by atticus_
Yeah, I also read there's no cleaning service in Murano's small flats, which is why this is my third choice. Also, you need to rethink your high heel policy if you are going to live there (you should probably have flats in your bag just for the hill) ... and call them hill flats or something :smile:

hill flats sounds really cute :biggrin: i should totally do that. my dad promised to be my "flats sponsor" as I will finally (in his opinion) wear proper shoes. :biggrin:

oh well, I guess I will clean everything myself then. I used to do it before I moved to the boarding school, so it is not a big deal, I just hope I'll end up with people who appreciate clean bathroom as much as I do :smile:

Oh Murano please be as sociable as everyone says you are!
It's the main and actually only reason I'm choosing it as I'm a little party animal myself :biggrin:

Does anyone know if people from different flats spend a lot of time with each other or is it more like an in-group/out-group situation? just don't wanna end up with boring neighbours :frown:
Reply 1138
hill flats sounds really cute :biggrin: i should totally do that. my dad promised to be my "flats sponsor" as I will finally (in his opinion) wear proper shoes. :biggrin:

oh well, I guess I will clean everything myself then. I used to do it before I moved to the boarding school, so it is not a big deal, I just hope I'll end up with people who appreciate clean bathroom as much as I do :smile:

Oh Murano please be as sociable as everyone says you are!
It's the main and actually only reason I'm choosing it as I'm a little party animal myself :biggrin:

Does anyone know if people from different flats spend a lot of time with each other or is it more like an in-group/out-group situation? just don't wanna end up with boring neighbours :frown:

I've read, on this thread somewhere: "...I spend just as much time with those from other flats...". People have also said that it's as though a couple of flats become one big group sometimes.

So it does happen, as one would imagine so. It'll just depend on who you click with, really.

I always tell myself: there's no point in asking anyone what they thought, your experience will be your own and that's that. But then... I always end up asking questions like the ones you just did. God, I'm so impatient :P.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
It's absolutely fine cleaning a shower and loo yourself even when it's been used by loads of people. I don't know about Murano cleaners but in second year you'll likely live in a flat with communal shower/bathroom and take it in turns to clean. Just put on rubber gloves and everything is possible.

Yes it is.

do you know around how much does transportation costs in glasgow?supposing that u use means of public transport such as bus/metro..or even bike?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending