The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Accomodation

Scroll to see replies

EmmaDilemma
okay... one more question about the accommodation .. do you get lock on your door?

Yes. There are locks on all doors (main entrance from street, flat entrance, room)
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
*Sniffle* Murano has changed a bit- we used to have rather fetching brown carpet around 2004/5 time. Cairncross still bears the closest resemblence to the good ol' days. Ah, the memories... :-)
0404343m
*Sniffle* Murano has changed a bit- we used to have rather fetching brown carpet around 2004/5 time. Cairncross still bears the closest resemblence to the good ol' days. Ah, the memories... :-)

Did you have the dark brown furniture too? Some of the buildings (Ochil at least) still had that when I was there. I heard they've finally been renovated though.

My friend's sister is coming to Glasgow in September so she went on the applicants tour with her. On the Murano one, the flat they were showing was one of the basement ones in Pentland, a.k.a. The Dungeon flats! So much for trying to impress applicants. :rolleyes:
Meltdown30
Did you have the dark brown furniture too? Some of the buildings (Ochil at least) still had that when I was there. I heard they've finally been renovated though.

My friend's sister is coming to Glasgow in September so she went on the applicants tour with her. On the Murano one, the flat they were showing was one of the basement ones in Pentland, a.k.a. The Dungeon flats! So much for trying to impress applicants. :rolleyes:

Yup, it was the dark brown rubbish. Actually thats not technically true, it was a random collection of furniture, most of which was dark brown. My mates bed was a good six inches narrower than the rest of the flat too, god knows what happened there. We were in Ochil (well, I was only there for half of the year, but thats another story involving highly illegal activity that the university don't know about...) and in the dungeon flats- the view was out onto the wall below the GP surgery, it was smashing. I cannot believe that was four years ago that I was in there- summer was totally the best time, those £4 barbecues were the business! If I could do it all again, I'd go Cairncross or QM/Winton though...
Reply 104
0404343m
Yup, it was the dark brown rubbish. Actually thats not technically true, it was a random collection of furniture, most of which was dark brown. My mates bed was a good six inches narrower than the rest of the flat too, god knows what happened there. We were in Ochil (well, I was only there for half of the year, but thats another story involving highly illegal activity that the university don't know about...) and in the dungeon flats- the view was out onto the wall below the GP surgery, it was smashing. I cannot believe that was four years ago that I was in there- summer was totally the best time, those £4 barbecues were the business! If I could do it all again, I'd go Cairncross or QM/Winton though...

Which ochil were you in? Sounds like you might have been in 15 if you were looking onto the wall below the GP surgery.. im in ochil 15 atm :p:
also when do these £4 barbeques happen? not heard anything about bbqs :frown: argh so annoyed they're having the summer street party thing the day/night before my last exam! can't decide whether I should go or not!!
vickiii
Which ochil were you in? Sounds like you might have been in 15 if you were looking onto the wall below the GP surgery.. im in ochil 15 atm :p:
also when do these £4 barbeques happen? not heard anything about bbqs :frown: argh so annoyed they're having the summer street party thing the day/night before my last exam! can't decide whether I should go or not!!

15?! Have they changed the way the numbers work? Ochil didn't go up to 15 when I was there- we had a door number, ours was 1, then it was split into letters for the flat. If you're walking across the bridge with the common room infront of you and veer to the left, our flat was the ground floor right next to the path into Murano. It wasn't the quietest of flats...

As for the BBQ- these were the temporary throwaway ones that cost £3.99 from the esso garage. Add farmfoods sausages to that mix and you have yourself a winning combination! I'm not sure if there is or will be official Murano BBQs, that'd probably require someones initiative and clearing it with the warden, and those first years aren't known for having initiative! :tongue:
0404343m
15?! Have they changed the way the numbers work? Ochil didn't go up to 15 when I was there- we had a door number, ours was 1, then it was split into letters for the flat. If you're walking across the bridge with the common room infront of you and veer to the left, our flat was the ground floor right next to the path into Murano. It wasn't the quietest of flats...

They're now numbered according to the number they are on Caithness Street (15, 17 and 19). I was in 19 and I basically had a 4 person flat to myself. :biggrin: One flatmate had moved into his girlfriend's flat in another building, another lived in her room and the 4th was the senior resident who quit and moved out soon after I moved in. I moved there halfway through the year due to me being an insanely light sleeper and having the room next to the kitchen in Sidlaw.
I've applied for accomodation and I hold a conditional offer. Does it seem likely that I'll get into a 10 person flat in Murano? It's my first choice, so if you put Murano down as your first and second choices, is it basically certain that you'll get in?
Sorry for being clueless!

Nah, lots of people are in on conditionals- they're likely to allocate unconditional firm offers just now, but you'll be fine, murano is usually the place where people end up if they don't get others, due to its size, so nearly everyone who wants to be there will be, allocations will be made after results day. Sorry for not quoting, my blackberry doesn't like it, I'm crasting while I'm supposed to be studying!
Pepperoni
I've applied for accomodation and I hold a conditional offer. Does it seem likely that I'll get into a 10 person flat in Murano? It's my first choice, so if you put Murano down as your first and second choices, is it basically certain that you'll get in?
Sorry for being clueless!

That's what I've heard. I'm sure I read on here somewhere that some some people that choose QM as their first choice ended up in Murano, so it should be fairly certain you'll get into Murano if it is your first choice.

I applied for a 10 person flat in Murano too. I applied for accommodation about a week ago and I've got an unconditional so hopefully I'll hear back soon.
My application was confirmed on the 7th. I'm getting so impatient waiting on hearing back lol.
Reply 111
i've just accepted my offer, i'll be staying at QM, seems really nice - i especially like having my own little en-suite!
anyone staying there, or know anyone staying there? just wondered if you could give me an idea of how it is living there? Is it a socialable as the other halls?

I chose QM cause i like my own space some of the time and things, but i've got to admit, i like a good laugh as much as the next person.
Reply 112
0404343m

As for the BBQ- these were the temporary throwaway ones that cost £3.99 from the esso garage. Add farmfoods sausages to that mix and you have yourself a winning combination! I'm not sure if there is or will be official Murano BBQs, that'd probably require someones initiative and clearing it with the warden, and those first years aren't known for having initiative! :tongue:

yep you lived in the same block i now live in! :p: yeah now, the block is ochil 15 and the flats are in letters. lol i love when you're sitting in the kitchen on the ground floor with the windows open and randomers walk past having some completely heart to heart convo, not clicking everyone in the kitchen can hear every word!! or when they're saying really stupid things/making stupid noises which probably make sense as part of the conversation but sound soo funny on their own! my bedroom overlooks the bridge, and loads of people (usually groups of guys) seem to find some special appeal in coming back from a night out and spending a while standing on that grassy bit in front of the bridge and literally just screaming for a while!! :p: aw I don't think they do them any more!! :frown: il take a look next time im in! :p:
A few days ago I applied :biggrin: I put Cairncross as my first choice (with a twin room - oh I have no idea how that will work out but I'm cheap :P). Time to start planning for real :smile:
missimpossible
My application was confirmed on the 7th. I'm getting so impatient waiting on hearing back lol.

Mine was confirmed on the same day! Still waiting. So impatient. Don't think there is any way i'm gonna get my first choice (Queen Margaret) :frown: .
dreamyeyed
Mine was confirmed on the same day! Still waiting. So impatient. Don't think there is any way i'm gonna get my first choice (Queen Margaret) :frown: .

Lol, that's weird, my first choice was QM too :smile:
Fingers crossed, but I doubt I'll get it either, it was just worth a shot. I'd be happy with anything really as long as I don't have to share a room.
missimpossible
Lol, that's weird, my first choice was QM too :smile:
Fingers crossed, but I doubt I'll get it either, it was just worth a shot. I'd be happy with anything really as long as I don't have to share a room.

Completly given up on QM now. Was speaking to a friend who said that one of his friends had not gotten into QM even though it was his first choice.

Probably gonna end up in Murano now!
dreamyeyed
Completly given up on QM now. Was speaking to a friend who said that one of his friends had not gotten into QM even though it was his first choice.

Probably gonna end up in Murano now!

I don't mind as long as I get in somewhere :smile:
Murano'll be good social-wise anyhow.

whereabouts you originally from?
Hi~ i guess its time to post in this thread too ^^

I would like to ask which place has a toilet and a shower that are being used by maximum 3 ppl... i get the feeling that there are not many... /o

and also whats with this "Do you prefer mixed or single sex accommodation? *"

does it mean that im living in a room where there are both girls and guys :confused: or does it mean that in a flat there are for example 5 rooms and in each room there are boys or gals? confuuusing~

but the main thing that concerns me are the showers :yep: *doesn't like sharing shower a lot and queuing for using it*

I hear that murano and queen Margaret are the most often picked choices, which one is better? - i dont care about noise, i just want to know that there are no mice in the bed and i can share a bathroom with less ppl

:woo:

Geri.
Michi-chan
Hi~ i guess its time to post in this thread too ^^

I would like to ask which place has a toilet and a shower that are being used by maximum 3 ppl... i get the feeling that there are not many... /o

and also whats with this "Do you prefer mixed or single sex accommodation? *"

does it mean that im living in a room where there are both girls and guys :confused: or does it mean that in a flat there are for example 5 rooms and in each room there are boys or gals? confuuusing~

but the main thing that concerns me are the showers :yep: *doesn't like sharing shower a lot and queuing for using it*

I hear that murano and queen Margaret are the most often picked choices, which one is better? - i dont care about noise, i just want to know that there are no mice in the bed and i can share a bathroom with less ppl

:woo:

Geri.

Cairncross is the only place where you could be sharing a room (although the person you share with be the same sex). All other halls you have your own room. Mixed sex means as you said that it is mixed sex within the flats and you have your own room.

At my last uni there were two showers shared between 12 people and I queued maybe once or twice in the whole year.

In QM you get your own en-suite shower and toilet but it is the more expensive and slightly less sociable hall. Murano the showers are shared and as i said above waiting for showers should be rare. Also the showers are cleaned by the cleaners not the students so they are kept clean.

Oh and you have a sink in your room.

I'm going for Murano. I wouldn't worry about the shower and toilet situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending