The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tara I
Well, it's unlikely that you'll get stabbed 4DALULZ, if that's your concern.

Also, to my understanding, Murano isn't actually in Maryhill. Although, you would find yourself passing through it. Having said that, you'd be one of 1170 students doing so.

And, meh, I live in an area which has a reputation akin to Maryhill's.

Nothing ever actually happens.

lol so true. I walk to murano sometimes at like 4am phised out my head and no one has ever started on me. Theres a 24 hour mcdonalds just down the road which is always good.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 1201
Original post by G550NDH
lol so true. I walk to murano sometimes at like 4am phised out my head and no one has ever started on me. Theres a 24 hour mcdonalds just down the road which is always good.

Precisely, people should stop watching the news; 'cause life's all rainbows and bunnies, really.

Well, to a sufficient extent

:biggrin:
Reply 1202
I finally applied for accommodation yesterday. :smile: 1st choice - Cairncross House, 2nd and 3rd - small and large Murano flats.
Reply 1203
I have a question:

As far as I understand you are only allowed to apply for accommodation at the university you chose as a 'firm' choice. I have conditionals from both St Andrews and Glasgow uni and I'm thinking of picking St Andrews as 'firm' and Glasgow as 'insurance'. However, there's very little chance of me actually fulfilling the requirements that St Andrews sent me. So if I fail to meet them does it mean that I won't be able to get accommodation at Glasgow? I'm not from the UK and I'll only know my exam results in late June, way after the deadline.
Original post by kecius
I have a question:

As far as I understand you are only allowed to apply for accommodation at the university you chose as a 'firm' choice. I have conditionals from both St Andrews and Glasgow uni and I'm thinking of picking St Andrews as 'firm' and Glasgow as 'insurance'. However, there's very little chance of me actually fulfilling the requirements that St Andrews sent me. So if I fail to meet them does it mean that I won't be able to get accommodation at Glasgow? I'm not from the UK and I'll only know my exam results in late June, way after the deadline.

You can apply once it becomes your firm (so in this case if you fail to get St Andrews on results day Glasgow would become your firm). I think the FINAL deadline for accommodation is end of August time (I had to apply end of August the year I applied because of results etc.) it just means you're less likely to get good accommodation you want!
Reply 1205
I might be arriving in Glasgow on Sep 7th, which is a Saturday, so I was wondering if I could still pick up my room keys from somewhere?
Reply 1206
Original post by greeneyedgirl
You can apply once it becomes your firm (so in this case if you fail to get St Andrews on results day Glasgow would become your firm). I think the FINAL deadline for accommodation is end of August time (I had to apply end of August the year I applied because of results etc.) it just means you're less likely to get good accommodation you want!

Ok, thanks for the answer!
Original post by atticus_
I might be arriving in Glasgow on Sep 7th, which is a Saturday, so I was wondering if I could still pick up my room keys from somewhere?

Surely that's the day Freshers starts? Therefore yes you will have a room unless your contract explicitly states otherwise!
Reply 1208
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Surely that's the day Freshers starts? Therefore yes you will have a room unless your contract explicitly states otherwise!

Thanks greeneyedgirl! :smile:

P.S. "Please rate some other members before rating this member again."
Original post by atticus_
Thanks greeneyedgirl! :smile:

P.S. "Please rate some other members before rating this member again."

No problem, just sharing a second year's wisdom :top2:
Reply 1210
Will there be a big problem if I come on Sep 6th, not 7th? Will I be able to move into my actual room? :smile:
Original post by Domi.
Will there be a big problem if I come on Sep 6th, not 7th? Will I be able to move into my actual room? :smile:

Depends on what your offer of accommodation says...
Reply 1212
So I'll have to wait for a long time to find out as I hold a conditional offer and won't know my results until mid-June... Thanks anyway!
Original post by Domi.
So I'll have to wait for a long time to find out as I hold a conditional offer and won't know my results until mid-June... Thanks anyway!

Or you could email residential services and ask?
Reply 1214
Ehm.. hundred pounds per week for the Murano with shared bathroom? :/
Not my type.. I think I 'll go for Firhill Court.. It's ensuite, and 200-300 meters from Murano ..
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1215
I found a flickr account with pictures from Glasgow accomodation, but not all were listed at the Unis homepage. Could anyone tell me which houses are for undergrads and which are for postgrads?
Applied for accommodation tonight, Murano large flat is my 1st choice!
Reply 1217
Original post by Niamh Mc D
Applied for accommodation tonight, Murano large flat is my 1st choice!

Good luck!
Original post by Jamin
Good luck!

Thank ya :smile:
Reply 1219
Applied for accommodation just now. 1st Queen Mary, 2 Murano large 3. Murano small. The rest were just random. Is it common to get a place on the bottom of your list or do they just put most of us in Murano? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending