The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Hey! I accepted glasgow last week and am in the process of applying for accommodation. I was going to go with QM for my first choice but worked out that I wouldn't be able to afford it so gonna have to go with Murano. What I don't know what to choose, is large or small flats? I was thinking large but when I went to the applicant's day, the person guiding us said those in large flats have to share a kitchen exactly the same size as the one for the small flats. Not keen on sharing even less cupboard space, so is this actually true before I but down small as my first choice. Also, how much less sociable are the small flats than the large ones really? Thanks!
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by 14loubylou
yes i did too, i called and they told me three working days but i'm sure it didn't say that on the website :smile:

I was thinking that haha I'm so impatient!:smile:
Reply 1242
Original post by J'adoreMaCachette
Hey! I accepted glasgow last week and am in the process of applying for accommodation. I was going to go with QM for my first choice but worked out that I wouldn't be able to afford it so gonna have to go with Murano. What I don't know what to choose, is large or small flats? I was thinking large but when I went to the applicant's day, the person guiding us said those in large flats have to share a kitchen exactly the same size as the one for the small flats. Not keen on sharing even less cupboard space, so is this actually true before I but down small as my first choice. Also, how much less sociable are the small flats than the large ones really? Thanks!

I think it's pretty much down to you. Personally I'd prefer the small flats, I've lived in a large flat before and it has a lot of negatives. The way I see it, Murano is Murano and if it's anything like what I think it is, you'll probably make friends with people in neighbouring flats anyway. So for the sake of that I'd put the small flats first purely to have somewhere slightly less noisy to retreat to when you really want to!

Then again that's just me. :P
Original post by la-penseur
I was thinking that haha I'm so impatient!:smile:

same! it's been well over 72 hours now and still not letting me in so i'll have to call AGAIN tomorrow! have you managed to register yet? :smile:
I accepted my offer last Wednesday, and still cant apply yet! The lady on the phone did mention there was a bit of a backlog though....:frown:

Is anyone here applying for postgraduate halls? They don't seem to be very common in this thread! :smile:
Reply 1245
Can someone please tell me which halls is closest to the Dental School? How do dental students usually get to the city centre? :s-smilie:
Original post by TheHQ
Can someone please tell me which halls is closest to the Dental School? How do dental students usually get to the city centre? :s-smilie:

I'm not sure which are the closest halls, but there's a residence/halls map if you go to the accommodation website!
Reply 1247
Hello!

I just accepted my offer from Glasgow as insurance. Should I apply for accommodation or not? As far as I have seen on the website, it only talks about "if you have firmly accepted your offer..." etc.

Thank you!
same! it's been well over 72 hours now and still not letting me in so i'll have to call AGAIN tomorrow! have you managed to register yet? :smile:

I finally was able to apply today! I picked QM for my first choice though I'm slightly worried about the extra cost :s-smilie: Probably should have worked out what money I will be getting from for student finance but oh well!
Original post by Josiea
I put large in the end just because they get a bathroom cleaner :tongue: also you get given bin bags in big flats haha..

A large flat will probably be louder :sadnod: but more sociable I think :smile:

It was a tough choice but in the end I went large first then small.
The cleaning definitely swayed it and I have lived in a small flat before and I want to see how crazy a 12 person flat is :smile:
I finally was able to apply today! I picked QM for my first choice though I'm slightly worried about the extra cost :s-smilie: Probably should have worked out what money I will be getting from for student finance but oh well!

oh good! haha i've just applied for QM first as well but at least if i get Murano i'll be £21 a week better off :smile: fingers crossed we get in although they sell out pretty quickly i heard! :s-smilie:
oh good! haha i've just applied for QM first as well but at least if i get Murano i'll be £21 a week better off :smile: fingers crossed we get in although they sell out pretty quickly i heard! :s-smilie:

that's true haha and i heard that too :frown: its so nice there! what are you going to study?
Reply 1252
I'm trying to decide what accommodation to apply for, I was going to apply to QM but I heard it's really quiet and where they put most of the international students who are only over for a year. Is that true?
Gah, I'm so confused!
Hurray got an email today saying I'll have an offer of accommodation by the 20th April :smile: Glasgow is so on the ball. Love it! :biggrin:
Original post by TheHQ

None, really. The dental school is in the city centre, and Glasgow halls are in the West End. It's not a terribly far walk though.

Cairncross is about a 20 min walk, Murano is about 30 min, Queen Margaret is about 40 min, Student Apartments are about 25 min, Wolfson is the furthest (over 1 hour to walk but you can get public transport).

Kelvinhaugh Street is about 20 min and Winton Drive is about 45 min, but I don't think these are commonly offered to first year undergraduates.

Buses run fairly regularly in most places to the city centre, and some places are close to the subway. You could get a taxi, but it wouldn't be cost effective.
Ever since I got my offer for politics last October I've been thinking about the accommodation in Glasgow. Is Murando really as dodgy as many describes it, and is Cairncross more like a prison than anything else?

Anyone else with an offer for politics? :smile:
that's true haha and i heard that too :frown: its so nice there! what are you going to study?

yes it definitely looks the best! medicine as long as i get the grades! how about you? :smile:
yes it definitely looks the best! medicine as long as i get the grades! how about you? :smile:

oh that's class well done for getting an offer! my best friend is doing medicine too but he got rejected from Glasgow :frown: i'm english lit and history but apparently i have to pick a third subject or something, no idea what to choose though :s-smilie: lol
I just accepted an unconditional offer from Glasgow and now I'm thinking about the accommodation.
My first choice is definitily QM as I'd really love to have my own bathroom, and then I will put Murano small and large. Anyone with similar choices?
Reply 1259
Original post by TheHQ

I have a vague recollection that a fairly large proportion of the first year of dentistry is taught on the main campus. You should probably check with the dental school before picking halls based on its proximity to city centre.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending