The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Hi All!

I just accepted accommodation in Cairncross House for my 6 month exchange to Scotland! Yay, so excited. I'm coming from Australia so it's a looong way from home, but I can't wait.

I got the shared room, which is kinda scary but for the price on offer I couldn't really refuse. Something about beggarly students and choosers comes to mind :P

Anyway, was just wondering if anyone else is getting a room in Cairncross, either single or shared? Or if anyone has lived there previously, what their experiences were / any tips they have for settling in, meeting people, etc etc. I'm just trying to soak up all the information I can before I arrive - this thread has been really useful.

Can't wait to finally see Scotland! =D
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by JessiJayne
have you all got your offers for accommodation? I applied back in march and i got a confirmation email saying i was in Category A, whatever that is, but I haven't heard anything since. Should I re-apply? When I log into my glasgow account it says my application was processed on the 12/03/2012 and it was confirmed on the same day :s-smilie: help! thanks! :smile:

Hey I think you get you're accommodation offer after your results unless you've already done them and are on a gap year or something. Category A just means that you live far enough away to be guaranteed accommodation of some sort and it's just confirming your choices :smile:
i was just wandering if anyone knows when we find out what rooms we are staying in (and who with) ?? i am moving into Queen Margaret halls in september
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by loving life
i was just wandering if anyone knows when we find out what rooms we are staying in (and who with) ?? i am moving into Queen Margaret halls in september

I was wondering about that too. So if anyone knows, please answer! I was looking through some old threads though and I don't think you find out till you actually get there :frown:
Original post by seashells~
I was wondering about that too. So if anyone knows, please answer! I was looking through some old threads though and I don't think you find out till you actually get there :frown:

I think you get a letter out about where you're staying. But you might just find out on the day. In terms of who you're living with, you find out as they move in.

Don't sound so worried, it works out fine for a couple of thousand people every year.
Reply 1405
Original post by loving life

I'm moving into QM aswell, I was a bit surprised when it didn't specify what block/flat but then I guess it doesn't really matter till we get there!
Reply 1406
Original post by Jamin
I'm moving into QM aswell, I was a bit surprised when it didn't specify what block/flat but then I guess it doesn't really matter till we get there!

When did you receive something regarding accomodation ?
I applied for accomodation in May, I have an uncontionnal and still nothing.
Thanks
Reply 1407
Original post by RockU
When did you receive something regarding accomodation ?
I applied for accomodation in May, I have an uncontionnal and still nothing.
Thanks

I've had my unconditional since about March and I applied then, got the offer of accommodation in April (I'm pretty sure it was the end of April because it was payday and I was on holiday).
Original post by Jamin
I've had my unconditional since about March and I applied then, got the offer of accommodation in April (I'm pretty sure it was the end of April because it was payday and I was on holiday).

I think I must have got mine at the same time as you then! :smile: I know I shouldn't worry because it's the same for lots of people every year but just...Ahh! I like to know what's happening and I'm a worrier :tongue: Still! Early days yet.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1409
Original post by TheBambiHeart
I think I must have got mine at the same time as you then! :smile: I know I shouldn't worry because it's the same for lots of people every year but just...Ahh! I like to know what's happening and I'm a worrier :tongue: Still! Early days yet.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Haha, I know what you mean I'm really impatient when it comes to this kind of thing, I was starting to get annoyed at how little i've heard from SAAS but that letter came through today so I'm content knowing it's all sorted now. Wonder if the uni will be sending any kind of information packs out to us next month after all the school results are out and everyone's place is final.
Reply 1410
Original post by Jamin

I received my accomodation offer this afternoon for Murano, thank you :smile:
Reply 1411
I also got the offer today - it's murano. However, as a matter of fact, i applied qm. Kinda disappointed.

Btw, what does it mean by "2 bed flat"?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Any other post grads staying in Kelvinhaugh Gate? I'm wondering what the general feel of the place is...
Murano Large Flat!!! That's what I wanted yaaay :biggrin:
I was sent a letter sometime over summer because I was later applying, but found out which specific block &c. when I arrived there. I was in a Murano Large :smile:
Reply 1415
Original post by katprocrastinate
I was sent a letter sometime over summer because I was later applying, but found out which specific block &c. when I arrived there. I was in a Murano Large :smile:

Few moments, I received a similar letter. I gave them a ring and spoke to a lovely lady who told me It's the Murano large flats.

Are you already there or starting this commencing September?
Reply 1416
im moving to murano large flats too :biggrin:
Reply 1417

Does anyone have pictures of the rooms (Murano large flats that it is)?? need to know whether they're reasonable size for me, as I'm considering private halls!
Reply 1418
I wanted Cairncross, but got Murano Large Flats.. Well, I'm glad anyway and I hope it'll be nice living there! :smile:
Reply 1419
I was wondering, how does the whole sharing bathrooms/kitchen thing work at Murano Large Flats? Because it can't be so that 12 people have to share one bathroom, right? And also, would I seriously miss out on a lot as a fresher if I didn't live in the university's accommodation, because I really don't look forward to living in a "hostel" (as the uni calls it) for a year, but I'm afraid that if I go for private accommodation I'll be secluded from other freshers and will meet a lot less new people.

(also, I'm kind of surprised that I couldn't get anything other than my last choice since I applied almost right away when the applications opened...... really bad luck, i guess.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending