The Student Room Group

Tesco's uniform - skirt or trousers?

Scroll to see replies

I'd wear a skirt unless you'll be up and down ladders...
saranotsarah
I'm going to be on the checkouts mostly. Do the skirts crease really badly?

What do you mean mostly? In most stores, the checkout operators never work on shop floor except for overtime. If you're going to be doing regular shop floor work, I would go for trousers, even if it's only a couple of hours a week. Everyone knows the trousers are unflattering, and there's a lot of people who look worse in them than you do.

Yes, the skirts crease dreadfully. But does that matter if you're going to be sitting down almost all day?
Reply 22
Joanna May
What do you mean mostly? In most stores, the checkout operators never work on shop floor except for overtime. If you're going to be doing regular shop floor work, I would go for trousers, even if it's only a couple of hours a week. Everyone knows the trousers are unflattering, and there's a lot of people who look worse in them than you do.

Yes, the skirts crease dreadfully. But does that matter if you're going to be sitting down almost all day?

By mostly I mean that I was told that I would be on the checkouts for most of the time, but may occasionally be asked to help at customer services or to pack bags if it's really busy.

You're right, I suppose nobody's going to see my skirt if I'm sat down all day. Is there a regulation appearance for tights?
Reply 23
Is it the new uniform (red and navy polo shirts or shirts with a red or navy fleece) or the old one blue and yellow checked shirts, navy jacket with yellow sleves.

If its the new one go for formal pants, if its the old one get the skirt :smile:
Night shifts? Trousers :smile:
Reply 25
saranotsarah
By mostly I mean that I was told that I would be on the checkouts for most of the time, but may occasionally be asked to help at customer services or to pack bags if it's really busy.

That old chestnut? Take it from me, if it's busy, you will be put on a till for the whole day so they can pass one in front. Its very unlikely you'll be asked to help out on customer services because it can take up to a week to get trained properly on there.

Basically, you'll be on checkouts. Possibly 100% of the time over the christmas period. Not that that's a bad thing (:
Reply 26
dchatterjee1
Night shifts? Trousers :smile:

Why does it make a difference whether it's day or night?
saranotsarah
Why does it make a difference whether it's day or night?

Night shift tend to be escaped convicts/people who only come out at night :biggrin:
Reply 28
who fu*cking cares what your wearing, you go to work not to disco
when i worked there i had the skirt because the trousers were awful. i didn't find it creased that badly really. that was the old uniform though.
Reply 30
Zamolxes
Well, if you want it to be easier for boys to stick their willy in you...go with a skirt. If you're actually there to WORK...then go with trousers and stop fussing over stupid things like these.

Calm down.
Reply 31
1Mperios
who fu*cking cares what your wearing, you go to work not to disco

Perhaps people might want to feel comfortable at work?
saranotsarah
I start my new job at Tescos this weekend and have to go after school tonight to sort out my uniform. I think I will have a choice of wearing either a skirt or trousers, and I just wondered whether anybody out there had any experience of Tescos uniform and how comfortable / practical it was to wear. I'm not really a trousers person and they don't look very flattering tbh, but on the other hand I don't want to find that I tear my skirt on my first day from climbing up to stack shelves. I think I'm going to be mainly on the checkout anyway, so I'm not sure which would be most comfortable?

It seems to me that all the girls trousers that are part of a supermarkersts uniform are ugly and very unflattering...go for the skirt.
Our store has just changed to the new uniform and on the old uniform i had the trousers and they were awful so i opted for a skirt this time and its much better and more comfortable!.
Reply 34
beckaboos.
Our store has just changed to the new uniform and on the old uniform i had the trousers and they were awful so i opted for a skirt this time and its much better and more comfortable!.

What's it like? Does it still have the pleat at the back or is it a proper split?
saranotsarah
What's it like? Does it still have the pleat at the back or is it a proper split?

To be honest right, i dont think the skirt has changed much, maybe not even at all. However the trousers have changed a bit and look better than the older ones. im still glad i went for the skirt.
Reply 36
saranotsarah
Perhaps people might want to feel comfortable at work?

okay they do... but why make a thread and ask other people what feels comfortable?, if you will try it out anyway? :beard:
Reply 37
beckaboos.
To be honest right, i dont think the skirt has changed much, maybe not even at all. However the trousers have changed a bit and look better than the older ones. im still glad i went for the skirt.

Thanks. Is it comfortable for sitting at the checkout in for hours at a time?
Reply 38
1Mperios
okay they do... but why make a thread and ask other people what feels comfortable?, if you will try it out anyway? :beard:

Because I'm not sure that I'll get the chance to try out both, plus the fact that I value other peoples' opinions.
saranotsarah
Thanks. Is it comfortable for sitting at the checkout in for hours at a time?

...it's a skirt, how could it be uncomfortable? :confused:

You'll be on checkouts all the time then, as someone already said. Considering most Tesco stores have to call shop floor staff onto the checkouts about twenty times during their shift, there's no way you're ever going to be off them! So whatever you want to wear. No one's going to be looking anyway, since you'll be sat down all day.

Quick Reply

Latest