The Student Room Group

anyone doing a gap year who wants to volunteer for free, READ THIS!

hi, i am on a gap byear now and have just been to India for 2 1/2 months to volunteer for free with the government organisation 'platform2' (google it) and i would really really recommmend it. You get sent to a beautiful place, the staff are really nice, you'll meet some amazing people, and best of all everyhting is paid for and on top of that you get pocketmoney. I have just got back and I just wnated to let other peole know about it, as the publicity doesnt seem to be that good.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What kinda stuff have you been doing?
Reply 2
just teahching really, but that is cos i was only the second group to go out and not much had been set up yet, theres also stuff like aids awareness and plantation and building work and womens greoups, there are loads of different countries to choose from to with different activities, i lpoved the teaching though! are you thinking of applying?
Reply 3
!Katy
just teahching really, but that is cos i was only the second group to go out and not much had been set up yet, theres also stuff like aids awareness and plantation and building work and womens greoups, there are loads of different countries to choose from to with different activities, i lpoved the teaching though! are you thinking of applying?

Me? No, I'm just interested :smile:

It's something I'd love to have done, but kinda missed my chance really. Need to be earning cash now.
Wow, thanks for the link, checking it out now :smile:
hmm definitely interesting! thank-you, not sure if i will stand a chance tho as not sure i can really class myself as someone who 'would otherwise be unable to volunteer in a developing country' or from a 'less advantaged background'..so may not eligible...
sounds like a good idea but i doubt I would be eligible :frown: cant afford to go though
thanks sooooo much, just looked at this thread by chance!!!!!
I've been looking for something like this for about a year!!!!!!!!
could you explain what it means by 'who wouldn’t otherwise be able to afford to volunteer in a developing country' because, although I can't, I might be able to if I started working for 6 months (or so) - after school of course!
Could you also tell me, if money hadn't been a problem, would you have wanted to/think it would be better to volunteer with another gap year provider such as 'real gap' or 'bunac'?

Thanks so much!!!!!:woo:
Sounds amazing.
oooh i'm interested! thanks for the post!
Considering. Not sure if I would be able to, as much as I'd love to.
Sounds great! What is daily life like - ie - accomodation, food & drink etc?
Toasted marshmellows
hmm definitely interesting! thank-you, not sure if i will stand a chance tho as not sure i can really class myself as someone who 'would otherwise be unable to volunteer in a developing country' or from a 'less advantaged background'..so may not eligible...

Would this be based on parents income? own income?
It sounds great!
well looking at the form they have questions like have you got ema, your education level, parents get any benefits and that sort of thing
Toasted marshmellows
well looking at the form they have questions like have you got ema, your education level, parents get any benefits and that sort of thing

I think i will qualify. Got ema in school and receive a university bursary.

It actually looks fantastic, i'll definitely be applying. Maybe next year though.
Wait, hold the phone.. Volunteer for FREE!? So I would volunteer my time (for free) and not have to PAY to do that!? WOAHA! Usually I have to spend tons of money when I do things for free...
Reply 16
Platform2 looks good, supported by some pretty big organisation too!

Volunteering for free isn't really that difficult to find just keep doing searches on google! There are some of the most useful sites out there which might help anyone seeking free, or cheap volunteering worldwide

Browse thousands of free & low cost organisations here Volunteering Worldwide
Search gap year Gap Year Volunteering
A guy called Steve started this awesome & well known volunteer siteVolunteer South America
hi !Katy

i don't think Katy classes as coming from a less advantaged background... :tongue: youd prolly all be fine to apply!
Reply 18
sucks for those living in australia... all volunteering sites i've been to reqiure you to PAY... can you believe that? i'm going to help a community and teach or build, etc. and i have to PAY to do so? incredible...

what student can afford airline tickets $1000 and another $3000 to volunteer for 2 months grr

anyone know of any ways to volunteer where the actual help you provide is considered payment? like cheap volunteering? for people from australia?
joncgde2
sucks for those living in australia... all volunteering sites i've been to reqiure you to PAY... can you believe that? i'm going to help a community and teach or build, etc. and i have to PAY to do so? incredible...

what student can afford airline tickets $1000 and another $3000 to volunteer for 2 months grr

anyone know of any ways to volunteer where the actual help you provide is considered payment? like cheap volunteering? for people from australia?

im thinking of going volunteering in australia!!! (im from scotland!)
but if you want to go abroad then maybe try:
Scottish Volunteering - www.projectscotland.co.uk (I guess you'd still need to pay for flights though)
also, think someone else posted:
http://www.oneworld365.org/category/volunteer
http://www.volunteersouthamerica.net/
http://www.gapyearworldwide.com/Volunteer.htm
Good luck - I hope you find something!

Latest