The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Student2806
Second. I'm not looking forward to dissertations - seems like hell of a lot of work just to come up with an idea for it.

Second year is hellish. But you get Paul Routledge and go to Swansea so that makes up for it.

The ideas I've got for it aren't the most practical. But I should go speak to someone about them and see if we can spark any more ideas.
TheOneWho
Second year is hellish. But you get Paul Routledge and go to Swansea so that makes up for it.

The ideas I've got for it aren't the most practical. But I should go speak to someone about them and see if we can spark any more ideas.

Swansea should be good. Although the journey down there could be a nightmare if it's on a bus. I'm told its 450 miles :s-smilie:
Reply 22
TheOneWho
Third year. You?

I've gotta think up dissertation topics. I have no idea what to do.

You haven't started your dissertation yet? :eek: We started ours at the end of second year and I'm almost at writing up stage now.
button8
You haven't started your dissertation yet? :eek: We started ours at the end of second year and I'm almost at writing up stage now.

I'm at a Scottish uni so it's a four year course. The dissertation has to be handed in before Christmas of the fourth year.
Reply 24
TheOneWho
I'm at a Scottish uni so it's a four year course. The dissertation has to be handed in before Christmas of the fourth year.

Oh yeah. I feel quite stupid now. :o:
Nah, don't. It's OK. If you have any ideas for dissertation topics I could do then throw them at me. I'm running out of things I can do.
Reply 26
Ooooohhhh I have a list of all the titles done previously, I could find that if it will help you?
Yeah, that sounds quite good. I have a list of suggested titles that the lecturers have given but none of them are quite grabbing me. My ideas just aren't the most practical of things.
Reply 28
http://www.esci.keele.ac.uk/people/pgk/dissertation/handbooks.html

It's the second pdf down on the list. Do you know what kind of area you'd like to look at? I started by looking at youth centres and it developed into an analysis of the causes of youth crime.
TheOneWho
Ah, OK. Never fancied the Strathy course myself. Yep, I'm at Glasgow. Boo the Strath and all their bloody hills.

Yeah for the first couple of weeks the hills were quite bad. You get used to it though :smile:.
Reply 30
My dissertation was a [post]structuralist analysis of Foucault/Benthams views on CCTV and the Night-Time Economy.
:cool:
Reply 31
sweetdarling
Yeah for the first couple of weeks the hills were quite bad. You get used to it though :smile:.

Aren't the hills in Glasgow actually drumlins (glacial deposits) on a coincidental note?:wink:
akj08
Aren't the hills in Glasgow actually drumlins (glacial deposits) on a coincidental note?:wink:

Yes. Glasgow Uni is built along a drumlim whereas Strathy is built across them. Some of the hills in the centre are ridiculously steep.
Reply 33
TheOneWho
Yes. Glasgow Uni is built along a drumlim whereas Strathy is built across them. Some of the hills in the centre are ridiculously steep.

Yeah, like Buchanan Street:frown: Guessing its the same around the unis?
Buchanan Street is not steep. At all. Go along Sauchiehall Street and have a look around there for some really steep streets. There's one that is really bad but I can't remember the name of it.

Strathy has some steep hills, Caly not so much, and Glasgow has some hills but they're nothing compared to the ones around Strathy.
Reply 35
Lol sorry don't know glasgow that well:p:
Reply 36
I prefer the physical side too, but that's probably due to the fact human geography has always bored me and the teaching of it at my school isn't brilliant.
However it may change when I end up at university. :dontknow:
I'm afraid I have to say I despise human geography, imagined landscapes? More like made up concepts and waffle. Fluvial Geomorphology and Biogeography is where it's at :wink:

So i'm backing Physical Geography
akj08
Yeah, like Buchanan Street:frown: Guessing its the same around the unis?

Buchanan Street isn't steep :s-smilie:
Montrose Street outside the Royal College Building :afraid:

I used to study at Strathy and that hill is monstrously steep.

I seem to have steered this thread a little of course though :embarrassed:
Reply 39
You have to think big for your dissertation! I'm at the writing up stage in mine, but when I was deciding what to do it on i knew i wanted to do something really great, so I borrowed one of my lecturers equipment for measuring gas emissions and took it to New Zealand where I chartered a helicopter to take readings from a degassing volcano! It was definately better than number-crunching stats for 6 months!!! I don't know how it works at other uni's, but basically you can do anything if you put your mind to it :smile:

BTW, I'm definately 100% Physical in case you hadn't guessed, human bores me. And measuring gas emissions from a beautiful volcano in New Zealand may not be relevant to my life..... but it sure as hell was fun!

Latest

Trending

Trending