Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So why is Oxford better than Cambridge then???

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering why current Oxford students applied Oxford rather than Cambridge?

From my year group at school we have 13 Cambridge applicants and only 4 Oxford. Was just wondering why...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    no point comparing these two
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of studying Natural Science at Cambridge but after going to the Oxford open day and staying overnight at a college, I thought Oxford was amazing. I then couldn't be bother to go and visit Cambridge. Although, sometimes there's a thought in the back of my mind just suggesting the grass may be greener on the other side....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I applied to Oxford because there's nothing really like PPE at Cambridge, but I think the disparity in the number of applicants at your school is hardly universal, or else Oxford would certainly be considered far less competetive.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oxford has better students.

Ahem.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if one was better then the other tbh, because I got crappy grades, I never even thought about considering looking at either so I know nothing about them. But all the people in my year have applied to oxford over cambridge.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The applicant disparity is likely to be something to do with location. At my school it was 2:1 in favour of Cambridge, but you could get to Cambridge in an hour instead of four. If I remember correctly I've spoken to people from down south who said their ratio was reversed.

I applied to Oxford over Cambridge because there's no PPE at Cambridge.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It is? Oxford and Cambridge to me are as good.
    I applied to Oxford because Cambridge didn't have Economics and Management.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge Natural Sciences sounded horrific when I already knew which science I wanted to do... Plus Oxford is bigger and has more of a fun reputation
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ysbera)
    It is? Oxford and Cambridge to me are as good.
    I applied to Oxford because Cambridge didn't have Economics and Management.
    You can do Economics for the first two years then management in third year at Cambridge
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Watch True Blue. Rather be a leper than a tab.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i applied to ox 'cos i went to school in cambridge and live a few miles outside of it. It'd just be like another load of school, i guess- i wanted to get away to someplace new.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    The applicant disparity is likely to be something to do with location. At my school it was 2:1 in favour of Cambridge, but you could get to Cambridge in an hour instead of four. If I remember correctly I've spoken to people from down south who said their ratio was reversed.
    That may be true in some cases but I live 1 hour from Oxford and 3-ish hours from Cambridge, yet my school gets a roughly equal number of applicants to each.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    33-29. Need I say more?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Mainly because Cambridge is too close, its only about 30-40 minutes away and also because Oxford did my course while Cambridge didn't.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Ollie~)
    Well I applied to Oxford because there's nothing really like PPE at Cambridge, but I think the disparity in the number of applicants at your school is hardly universal, or else Oxford would certainly be considered far less competetive.

Ooooh please tell me what PPE is! Someone from Cambridge said they studied it on University Challenge and I was like huhhhh Personal Protective Equipment?!?!?! Hahahaaa
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Politics, philosophy and economics = PPE
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sTe\/o)
    Politics, philosophy and economics = PPE
    Don't lie, that's cruel :shifty:
    It's PE - physical education - but with added emphasis on the physical aspect of the course (hence the additional P).

Some find it strange that Oxford still run it given that there's no academic element whatsoever; it is primarily star jumps and keepie-uppie
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know a lot of people at Oxford whereas maybe one or two at Cambridge, plus Cambridge only offers straight 4-year Classics whereas at Oxford I could apply for Classical Archaeology and Ancient History which is closer to what I want to study.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DHthe2nd)
    33-29. Need I say more?
    At last count, the scores were 59-53 Cambridge.

I suppose Oxford's primary advantage over Cambridge is the intellectual rigours of its MSc in Water Management. No doubt the supreme academic endeavour required for this course is what attracts so many international rowers.

That, and the efforts of the Oxford Rugby team to create an atmosphere of racial inclusivity in the University.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 20, 2008
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.