The Student Room Group

How to get A grade in A Level History?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
AG27
I understand that provenance would be important, but surely you can only mention it a few times, otherwise wouldn't you just be repeating yourself? For instance, with your example, after mentioning that an SA leader would clearly write promoting the methods of Nazis against Jews, haven't you already made the point that the SA leader would be rather one-sided in their views. Hence the examiner could perhaps figure out that when using the source in other points, they may be able to understand the candidate's stance towards the source.

yes you are correct you should only mention it once or twice for each source. i think i was just trying to get across small changes from jan-june. I've always been taught to write an essay in a way in which you are informing someone who has no previous knowledge of the topic discussed. therefore all the small points count i.e. mentioning the provenance and why a source may be written in a particular way. moreover we've always been taught to write an essay in one paragraph i.e. the introduction. examiners are marking hundreds of scripts and don't want to learn your final answer in the closing lines of the paragraph. the introduction should not be ambiguous but instead outline every point in which you will discuss. whether or not to include the sources here is entirely up to you. it would seem plausible to do so since the points of your essay should be taken from the sources rather than you writing an essay and then adapting sources to support your points. the main structure of the essay will be based on one source per paragraph (generally). there aren't any sources that would lead you astray so always you every source mentioned in the question. the conclusion of your essay should sum up the main points - perhaps include a new piece of knowledge here? i dont think it will hurt.
when starting each paragraph directly answer the question i.e. the first method the SA used to gain support in the years up to 1939 maybe .... and this is supported by source 1. elaborate slightly on the point, use a small quote, then an explanation. in the explanation the own knowledge comes into play but never outweigh own knowledge compared to analysis of sources.
finally linking is extremely important. personally i used direct phrasing such as 'a second point linking in with SA propaganda to rally support is ... indicated by source 2.' this however is debated since some argue that you should not use words such as 'linking'. however based on the premise that the reader has no knowledge of the subject matter whatsoever, then this would indeed be the necessary course of action. finally as i said previously don't use too much own knowledge! thats the only thing i personally would stress! it seemed to be my downfall in january. hope this helps.
on the other two knowledge papers revise like mad though! they are called knowledge papers for a reason! i didnt get full marks on either of those so im not real expert but thats because i didn't revise thoroughly enough at all. for those the same principals apply: strong introduction which answers the question directly i.e. even listing all the points to be made is good enough. paragraphs that begin by directly answering the question and a small sum up sentence to conclude each individual paragraph. linking is vital! and the conclusion, well that should be summing up all the main points with perhaps a small new piece of information. don't however include an entirely new point that normally requires a strong paragraph to answer the question.
good luck and hope that kind of helps. and remember this is just what i did. i got a good A and it would have been even better had the knowledge all been there for the other two papers! next time i guess 8-)
Reply 61
Thanks
Reply 62
Original post by AG27
In the source based paper when you use some evidence from any of the sources would you also talk about the reliability of the source?

yes, the reliability of the source is something you need to state to get to the next level and also explain how it is reliable
Reply 63
Original post by AG27
do you believe the practice in writing essays gradually improves your grade?

definitely. it will help you manage your time during an exam.
you wi also notice trends and cut the waffle out of your answer :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by icegirl901
definitely. it will help you manage your time during an exam.
you wi also notice trends and cut the waffle out of your answer :smile:

...5 years too late

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Hey, how to write the essay for French and Russian Revolution? And how to answer the source based paper? I seriously need help! :frown: I got a U for my AS Level History :frown: and also, how to write and answer The Holocaust source paper? Do we just paraphrase the extract and include our historical knowledge on The Holocaust or just paraphrase the extract and then tell the examiner what it means? Please, help me..
Constant reading around the subject and not just the work your tutor has given. And ask lots of questions in class about the subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending