The Student Room Group

chemistry AS exam - 'how science work' questions???

Hi,

I am currently a year 12 student and just yesterday i sat a chemistry mock exam in preparation for my first module exam in Jan. i found the specimen paper for the new specification that we are doing now are VERY different to the past exam papers for the old specifiction. there seems to be a lot more emphasise on 'how science work' with many questions such as how can chemical industries gain maximise profit from such and such process, what are the commericial advantages and environmental disadvantages etc:s-smilie: . and i had no idea how to answer them - i only got 70% which is a big difference in comparison to the usual 90% and above that i get on the past exam papers :frown:

and with only 3 weeks left till the exam, i am getting really worried. so i was wondering if anyone here has any good suggestions of how to prepare for 'how science work' questions??

thanks a lot
Firstly you're still doing well in them, all I can suggest is that you understand the principles underlying the topics and refer back to your specification to see what exactly is required of you :smile:
Reply 2
Which exam board are you on?
Reply 3
aqa, it really sucks...
i've checked the specification, and it says nothing about commercial advantages and environmental issues etc :frown:
Reply 4
Is this a mock that your teacher made or a specimen paper from AQA? If it's the former, and it's not on the specification, I'd just forget about it.
Reply 5
i took the same exam, its an actual aqa specimen paper
They're generally the easier marks once you get used to how mind numbingly pointless and 'unchemistry like' they really are! :biggrin: I normally just wack down something about moles(the creature:p:) for the environmental questions.
LearningMath
They're generally the easier marks once you get used to how mind numbingly pointless and 'unchemistry like' they really are! :biggrin:

:cheers:
Reply 8
okay, so if they ask about commercial advantage of a certain reactions, what sort of things can we put? and also how do chemical industries maximise profit?
Reply 9
The only thing I really remember doing is things like 'compromise conditions' in reactions such as the Haber process.

Oh and the cost of reducing agents in the extraction of metals.

I dunno really, its all abit wishy washy business thinking!
We would of taken economics if we cared!
:tongue:

Is there a specimen answer paper for it?
Reply 10
I totally agree. why do they put in stupid business questions into a chemistry AS exam paper? :mad:
Reply 11
I love those questions. Free marks basically.
The questions are generally "Why is X used instead of Y in commercial process" or compromise-conditions, and the answers are almost invariably cost effectiveness, reactivity/toxicity, safety and yield.

Latest